Whatever happened to the Wyvern?

Myrlyn

Just curious, but can anyone tell me what ever happened to the Enemies Villain Wyvern? I used to have this guy as a nemesis back when I first played Champions 15 years ago. I wanted to use him as a nemesis for a revamped version of one of my favorite heroes from way back then, but can't find any stats for him in Conquers, Killers and Crooks. I heard a rumor he might have appeared in Classic Enemies, but I don't have that book, and to my knowledge, he hasn't turned up in any 5th edition publications yet.

Anyone?

Keith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Whatever happened to the Wyvern?

He was in the 4th Ed classic enemies. As far as I know, he's not in any 5th Ed book, BUT Steve may put him in the next Champions Enemies collection (The one after Arcane Enemies). If he does, I imagine it would be as a solo act.

I could be wrong though... anyone else know more officially?

CKC 116-17 has the back door through which I might bring him back' date=' if I choose to. In general I'd rather create new villains, but Wyvern might make for a good inclusion in next year's VVV.[/quote']

*URRRUP* What back door? You mean the one I just ate? The one garded by that lion-bird thing I also just ate? Sorry.

Always thinking ahead!

Anyone else think Steve would make an excellent supervillain? I mean if he didn't already have all our money and had some other motivation.

You mean Steve is not realy the secret idenity of The Evil Editor? (Then again, I sorta made myself into a golden/silver age mad scientist named Profesor Robert Steriaca because someone thought my handle sounded cool...one of theas days I should start a thread in charater about golden age/silver age rubber science).

Guest Worldmaker

CKC 116-17 has the back door through which I might bring him back' date=' if I choose to. In general I'd rather create new villains, but Wyvern might make for a good inclusion in next year's VVV.[/quote']

Any chance of seeing Neutron or Arc while you're at it?

Wasn't Wyvern in Shades of Black? I seem to recall him there...

No, that was the Gryphon.

Wyvern's Secret ID gets name-dropped in Anklyosaur's background info in CKC, though. I presume that's the back-door Steve means.

On the subject, Steve, is the reference to a "vulpine-faced" gentleman in the GRAB write-up meant as a back-door for the Fox of Crime?

Well I can understand your feelings on creating new villains rather than bringing back old guys. I seem to remember another post a while back where you said the vast majority of the guys in VVV will be new apart from the Tiger Squad guys covered.

From that can we assume the old villains statted in CKC and elsewhere are your favourites and we are not going to see many more?

I would ask you to reconsider slightly as although many of the old characters were pretty lame (and your instincts for who to bring back and who to keep buried have been pretty spot on so far) many others were great characters who deserve to come back and still others were great in conception, it was just the execution whcih was faulty.

From previous posts I think the vast majority of champs guys especially the older crowd get a big kick of seeing older characters updated and given a new spin.

so maybe more of a 30/70 split of old/new? this obviously will be harder the longer time goes on as the better old guys are dealt with.

But there really are some great characters still to be revived and i think it would be a shame not to tap into them (legal rights withstanding of course).

maybe a new ongoing thread where people could vote for the guys they wanted bought back would be useful for you.

My vote goes to Brick the guy in the original vipers nest, I loved that guy lol.

rgds

Torch

On the subject, Steve, is the reference to a "vulpine-faced" gentleman in the GRAB write-up meant as a back-door for the Fox of Crime?

I didn't do it. Nobody saw me. You can't prove a thing.

From that can we assume the old villains statted in CKC and elsewhere are your favourites and we are not going to see many more?

It wouldn't necessarily be accurate to say they're all my "favorites." Some are just ones I felt were worth carrying forward for some reason. But it's safe to say that the number of "revised" old villains in the future is likely to be small.

Guest Worldmaker

It wouldn't necessarily be accurate to say they're all my "favorites." Some are just ones I felt were worth carrying forward for some reason. But it's safe to say that the number of "revised" old villains in the future is likely to be small.

Other than CLOWN, are there any on the "You'll have to torture me first before I revise them" list?

I liked CLOWN better than the Fox, for what it's worth.

Still haven't seen much in the way of Champions enemies for 5th Ed. The ones I have seen, scattered here and there in things like Viper and the Ultimate Brick, have been really awesome, and the new writeups really add a lot of color and tactical options.

I look forward to the day when my FLGS realizes that I don't let Hero stuff sit on their shelves, and they start stocking more stuff.

Why not start a thread on revised editions of your old favorites?

Wouldn't it make sense to create a thread here and put up your own version of your favorite enemies? I was just thinking we have a ton of people here who can make these sorts of conversions and plenty of other people who can/will make suggestions to improve them.

Just make the subject line "Post your favorite villian here" and lead it off with a write up Wyvern. It will probably become one of those undead megathread that just keeps on going!

Other than CLOWN, are there any on the "You'll have to torture me first before I revise them" list?

Hmmm, that's a good question. Offhand, I seem to recall that most of the members of the Soviet super-team in Classic Organizations weren't appealing to me at all (Disinformer being the exception; I had some interesting discussions about him with Chris Avellone). The same could be said of a lot of the Golden Age Champions characters, who struck me as needlessly silly (fortunately, I think Darren's got a superb grip on the nature and characters of the Golden Age of the CU). Other than that, I guess I'd have to go back through the Enemies books a page at a time and see how I react to the old characters.

Hmmm' date=' that's a good question. Offhand, I seem to recall that most of the members of the Soviet super-team in [i']Classic Organizations[/i] weren't appealing to me at all (Disinformer being the exception; I had some interesting discussions about him with Chris Avellone). The same could be said of a lot of the Golden Age Champions characters, who struck me as needlessly silly (fortunately, I think Darren's got a superb grip on the nature and characters of the Golden Age of the CU). Other than that, I guess I'd have to go back through the Enemies books a page at a time and see how I react to the old characters.

Got to agree with the Golden Age Champs bing silly, they were and it was not helped by awful art making them look even more silly lol.

I actually really liked lots of the members of the Soviet team esepcially as many of them very really villainous. Which was a sign of the times in comics and real life.

Some of those guys are excellent villains.

rgds

Torch

Re: Why not start a thread on revised editions of your old favorites?

Wouldn't it make sense to create a thread here and put up your own version of your favorite enemies? I was just thinking we have a ton of people here who can make these sorts of conversions and plenty of other people who can/will make suggestions to improve them.

Just make the subject line "Post your favorite villian here" and lead it off with a write up Wyvern. It will probably become one of those undead megathread that just keeps on going!

Great idea, just want to check that Steve and co are OK with us doing this before anybody starts?

rgds

Torch

Got to agree with the Golden Age Champs bing silly, they were and it was not helped by awful art making them look even more silly lol.

I actually really liked lots of the members of the Soviet team esepcially as many of them very really villainous. Which was a sign of the times in comics and real life.

Some of those guys are excellent villains.

rgds

Torch

They were Ok, the main problem I had with most of them was the terrible stun scores that some of them had. I think American Beauty had something like a 20 stun and 7 DEF. A kid with a rock could have killed her if not just knock her out.

As I've said before, I think it would be great if some version of the Blood could appear in 5E. They were a great group of characters with interesting connections and a nice, unifying theme. Given some similarities with the Empyreans, one could easily reframe the Blood as being an offshoot from that species.

As I've said before' date=' I think it would be great if some version of the Blood could appear in 5E. They were a great group of characters with interesting connections and a nice, unifying theme. Given some similarities with the Empyreans, one could easily reframe the Blood as being an offshoot from that species.[/quote']I only vaguely remember the Blood. All I remember was the were a sort of superhuman extended family. What were their similarities to the Empryeans? Was it powerwise or more organizational/society wise?

Mutant tribal leader from 20000 years ago, made deal with imprisoned eldergods for more power ( inheritable ) and immortality. Moved dimentionally to a new world where tech is barred, and magic is pursued. Renaisonce earth with Blood nobles and magicians.

Note ruled by council as original leader is imprisoned by the very dimentional magics he was trying to dispel. Dangerous insane nutter.

Typically energy projectors/manipulators, with enhanced stats , telepathy and x-ray vision.

I liked them