Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Would you please elaborate upon and explain this statement ?? :confused:

:cool:

Cyberpunk is a literary genre focusing on a rather dystopian future. One of the main themes in all very good cyberpunk is that daily life invokes cultureshock, technoshock and futureshock constantly. An evershifting environment that no one can get a handhold in without focusing intently on a very small portion of things as sensory overload threatens to drown you out.

Read Futureshock by Alvin Toffler, the seeds for the ideas of Cyberpunk are there.

When the Future wins the past is contextless and the present futile as we all try and catch up to our own culture.

Conservatism is what happens when the future loses.

JG

Sometimes.

Liberalism is what happens when the past fails.

Mostly.

. . . I vote for a stalemate.

No. Even parts all scenarios.

While I don't normally get into the rep thing' date=' I am starting to feel a bit left behind as I see many folks I've never even heard much of on the boards pass me by. Heck, I go back before the Fusion boards even. A combination of things (the main problem I'll discuss in another thread) have led to infrequent posting in the past year or so and I notice that rep seems to have really taken off in that time. Perhaps one of my kind acquaintances could push me up over the century mark in recognition of my years of service.[/quote']Done!

Rep is really overated since Mightybec destroyed any semblance of meaning with his Rep the Person Above thread in Feb this year. If you want to get a rep lift, post there. :)

Upgrading cellular service, comparing new phones and suddnely it occurs to me that the feature Built In Camera: NO makes the phone that much more desirerable.

Phones are for Phone Calls. stunning revelation, almost a heretical statement these days.

Sorry Pops, that was yesterday. Today I have a Palm Treo, which is an internet connection, camera, phone, e-mail, outlook, calculator, calendar, alarm clock, rolodex, and deck of cards (if you like solitaire, anyway). It has an IR output that will eventually make it work like a credit card, too. The keyboard is too damn small, as is the screen, but in an iteration or two that big assed ridiculous thing under your desk is going to seem as quaint as an Underwood Typewriter. Remote storage, present processing, and some clever way across the ergonomic divide is all we need, and the market will provide it, whether we want it or not.

sigh... This is why I prefer to go camping. To get away from all this progress once in a while.

Sorry Pops, that was yesterday. Today I have a Palm Treo, which is an internet connection, camera, phone, e-mail, outlook, calculator, calendar, alarm clock, rolodex, and deck of cards (if you like solitaire, anyway). It has an IR output that will eventually make it work like a credit card, too. The keyboard is too damn small, as is the screen, but in an iteration or two that big assed ridiculous thing under your desk is going to seem as quaint as an Underwood Typewriter. Remote storage, present processing, and some clever way across the ergonomic divide is all we need, and the market will provide it, whether we want it or not.

sigh... This is why I prefer to go camping. To get away from all this progress once in a while.

They can take all that crap and shove it.

For the record I own an iMac which isn't a "big ***ed thing under my desk" but a wonderfully sleek item on my desk.

Elegance does not require smashing every known feature in existance into the device. I don't need or want a chunk of plastic to schedule my life, keep me constantly connected to everywhere else and you'll get me to use remote storage when you claw my external hard drive out of my dead cold hands and I have never gotten an email so urgent I needed to check it while moving at 75 MPH down a highway or in an airport starbucks fastfood nightclub juke joint while playing solitaire or any other random distraction from life . . .

integrated credit card feature might be useful though.

They can take all that crap and shove it.

For the record I own an iMac which isn't a "big ***ed thing under my desk" but a wonderfully sleek item on my desk.

Elegance does not require smashing every known feature in existance into the device. I don't need or want a chunk of plastic to schedule my life, keep me constantly connected to everywhere else and you'll get me to use remote storage when you claw my external hard drive out of my dead cold hands and I have never gotten an email so urgent I needed to check it while moving at 75 MPH down a highway or in an airport starbucks fastfood nightclub juke joint while playing solitaire or any other random distraction from life . . .

integrated credit card feature might be useful though.

OTOH, having a calendar, reminders, and ability to take notes without having to carry and keep on a laptop does seem to make some sense...

Am I repeating myself?

Oh, wait, I get it...the only thing is that may or may not be a joke, the way distribution lists go...now there's a funny thoght - how many links between any one of us and an email chain that we've been exposed to?

I estimate that there are, at most, twelve degrees of separation between two given e-mail chains.

It keeps alarming me how often I find something on my LJ friends list, then, within a day, it gets posted here. Or vice versa. Or someone e-mails it to me and I hear about it here, or vice versa.

Message boards and blogs are going a long way toward getting information disseminated that much faster. The only question is, is this information any good to us?

I've never had an issue tracking dates' date=' appointments or remembering the odd note.[/quote']

How many appointments in how many places do you have in a day, and are they back-to-back or do you actually get back to your desk between meetings? Regardless, while you may not it's hardly a superfluous doo-dad for many people, as I believe most people cannot track many appointments in a day let alone across days in their head.

Besides, I find it convenient that the same device for note-taking is the cell phone I carry, I don't have to have a separate pad of paper or such.

How many appointments in how many places do you have in a day, and are they back-to-back or do you actually get back to your desk between meetings? Regardless, while you may not it's hardly a superfluous doo-dad for many people, as I believe most people cannot track many appointments in a day let alone across days in their head.

Besides, I find it convenient that the same device for note-taking is the cell phone I carry, I don't have to have a separate pad of paper or such.

Like I said, my statement was almost heretical.

When reading reviews on cell phones they go off on all sorts of crap except the points that make it a phone:

Sound Quality of the speaker; Ambient Noise Cancellation of the mic.

It didn't so mich irk me as make me realize that the selling point of a phone for me was how many other features it DIDN'T come with.

Yeah, I don't need my cell phone to be a camera or text messaging device. I need it to be a phone. With excellent reception and battery life, and, optionally, a phone book. I don't need wallpaper or ringtones (and I really don't need to pay for wallpaper and ringtones).

I am tempted by the Treos, though, because I really do need to have email access 24/7. Damn job.

Yeah' date=' I don't need my cell phone to be a camera or text messaging device. I need it to be a [i']phone.[/i] With excellent reception and battery life, and, optionally, a phone book. I don't need wallpaper or ringtones (and I really don't need to pay for wallpaper and ringtones).

I am tempted by the Treos, though, because I really do need to have email access 24/7. Damn job.

I hate ringtones.

I don't mind regular ringing sounds. I just dislike all these song pieces and words and so on.

But that's just me. I recognize why people would like it.

PS - and find it useful, given that one issue is differentiating where the ringing is coming from