Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

SSHHHHHHIIIIIIMMMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

any weekend I get to dance is a good weekend... and I get to dance most weekends!

Any weekend I get to watch you dance is good.

Alas, that's never happened yet. :(

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that we have belly dancers in Indianapolis, and I point out that they're not HER.

The Star Trek Experience sells "Romulan Ale." It's actually light beer with blue food coloring. It tastes like light beer' date=' but it will turn your poop blue for a day or two. No kidding.[/quote']

Last time I went I ordered a Guinness at the bar. One of the costumed Klingon actors came over and started giving me flack about drinking "replicated swill".

I riposted with some of my usual lines considering Arthur Guinness being the ultimate product of thousands of years worth of headhunters, rebels and madmen, along with a healthly dose of my usual attitude.

He turned to my GF of the time and this "This one is a warrior, I see"

I seem to remember spouting off "Surrender or Die" in Klingon at one point (The only Klingon I know, in fact), but I don't think they actually speak Kilngon all that well.

Did the Champion fight Hercules? I can't remember. I mean Herc was more a brawler than Thor' date=' and there was boxing of a sort in ancient Greece...I think. So, ol' Herc in his full fledged God of Strength might perhaps could have given the Champion a good fight. Was he one of the opponents in the comic? If so, how was he dispatched? If not...that would be a cool fight to see....[/quote']

Herc was not included. Here's the cast and the results (spoilered just in case):

Thor (disqualified for using hammer)

Hulk (disqualified for tearing off gloves)

Namor (refused to participate)

Doc Samson (eliminated in training)

Vision (Offer withdrawn for being a machine)

Colossus (Beaten to a pulp)

Wonder Man (Beaten to a pulp, disqualified for tearing up ring)

Sasquatch (Beaten to a pulp)

Thing (eventual winner...after beaten to a pulp)

I remember being disappointed in several of the matches when I first read it, but the Thing's eventual triumph was well worth it. :thumbup:

Herc was not included. Here's the cast and the results (spoilered just in case):

Thor (disqualified for using hammer)

Hulk (disqualified for tearing off gloves)

Namor (refused to participate)

Doc Samson (eliminated in training)

Vision (Offer withdrawn for being a machine)

Colossus (Beaten to a pulp)

Wonder Man (Beaten to a pulp, disqualified for tearing up ring)

Sasquatch (Beaten to a pulp)

Thing (eventual winner...after beaten to a pulp)

I remember being disappointed in several of the matches when I first read it, but the Thing's eventual triumph was well worth it. :thumbup:

It certainly adds a dimension of surreality when one's cat is named Hercules.

We call him Herc. He is, indeed, the most well-muscled cat I've ever known. But he's also a big baby. He CAN fling the other cat across the room to get her away from him, but he opts to just run away and yowl in pain.

Any weekend I get to watch you dance is good.

Alas, that's never happened yet. :(

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that we have belly dancers in Indianapolis, and I point out that they're not HER.

I promise, when I get my computer upgrade I will give everyone the opprotunity to see me shimmy :D

Oddhat once started a thread when he got Nigerian spam addressed to his fictional game character' date=' Sun Koh.[/quote']

A fictional character of mine is getting recruiting literature from the National Guard.

Recently, I have learned of a warning letter to sign up for Selective Service that was sent in another fictional name - this time a name that had been made up several years earlier by a pair of boys scamming an ice cream parlor for free treats.

I find myself wondering, what does the Army want with these imaginary men? Trying to form up a whole unit of soldiers of fiction, to go forth and defend us against imaginary enemies?

Exactly that.

There was an airplane crash in town Saturday night. Not at the airport -- actually in town. The pilot was listed in serious but stable condition initially' date=' but later upgraded it to fair. From the article: "The pilot, Hal Edward McCord, 50, of Clarksburg, Md., was the only person onboard. He has a broken knee and collarbone and has punctures, cuts and bruises all over his body, said his father, Hal McCord, Sr."[/quote']

Good grief! What is a guy in that condition doing piloting a plane?? No wonder he crashed!

Log wants a doughnut. He must be feeling better.

Much better. :yes: Not perfect, of course. The muscles in my torso all feel wrenched from the sudden violent heaves, but compared to yesterday I'm ready to run a freakin' marathon! :D

Now, where's my doughnut?

To be honest, most food doesn't appeal to me right now. It's girl scout cookie time in the office, and we have tons of the treats floating around the library now. (Including the box I signed up for and forgot about.) I haven't had a single cookie. No desire. I saw a picture of a doughnut though and thought "Mmmm, doughnut." Don't know if I would actually eat it right now. The classic Appetite vs. Hunger battle.

I have to wonder about the people who make up physics labs.

The one I just gave, on electric fields and electric charges, includes a portion where the students have to generate some static electricity, put it onto a couple of lightweight objects which end up repelling each other, and computing how much charge was deposited. You have to weigh the objects, measure the separation, do a force analysis.

But ...

The things they've given the kids are ... uh ...

They get two rods (one of clear plastic and one of black hard rubber), each about a foot long and half an inch in diameter. To make static, you rub those with fabrics (there are 4 alternatives supplied).

The lightweight objects are a pair of pith balls, quarter-inch balls hanging on a thread about three inches long.

So ... this being lab class for health/life science majors ... I have a room with a dozen college-age women, all busily rubbing these rods with cloth in their hands, and then touching the rod to the pair of hanging balls, which move apart and hang there stiffly when the procedure works ...

:nonp:

It's not the biggest test of my poker face in my teaching career, but it's up there, especially when a couple of them are looking decidedly self-conscious about what they're doing....

I adopted this lab (someone else wrote it up) without much thought. Now the thoughts I'm having are ... wondering about who came up with this exercise ...

That's funny, thanks for sharing.

Last time I went I ordered a Guinness at the bar. One of the costumed Klingon actors came over and started giving me flack about drinking "replicated swill".

I riposted with some of my usual lines considering Arthur Guinness being the ultimate product of thousands of years worth of headhunters, rebels and madmen, along with a healthly dose of my usual attitude.

He turned to my GF of the time and this "This one is a warrior, I see"

I seem to remember spouting off "Surrender or Die" in Klingon at one point (The only Klingon I know, in fact), but I don't think they actually speak Kilngon all that well.

Sounds like you had a good time there. :yes: