Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I had the weirdest dream last night...

Then tell us. ;)

Either here or in the Creepy Hotel thread, which is where my weird dreams go.

Lucius Alexander

The ones the palindromedary does not devour

Then tell us. ;)

Either here or in the Creepy Hotel thread, which is where my weird dreams go.

Lucius Alexander

The ones the palindromedary does not devour

ok, it's very weird, and maybe not appropriate for this board.. suffice to say I was trying to seduce someone, I had magical abilities, demonstrated by my being able to both close and seal a door from across the room, and I was very concerned about a drawing he had done... I kept asking him why he had chosen to use a particular shape... it was important, but I'm not sure why...

Seriously, though, I know Josh's sense of curiosity. He can tell me where my birthday present is hidden, and I'll deliberately turn away to not look there. Josh will scour receipts and look for evidence as to where I've been.

Interestingly, I told him about a month ago what I was getting him, but he still keeps asking me what I got him.

He'll like it. ^ v ^

I have to remember my wife doesn't have my self-control about that kind of thing. She's had to ask me to put things that I've said are for her into places where they were at least out of sight. The thing in the Nieman-Marcus bag was the worst. :cool:

OddHat hates when I buy him stuff. He'd rather buy his own. One of the main ways I show love is by buying presents. It's a problem. My Parents are impossible to buy for too. All I can ever think to get my Brother is a Brooks Brothers gift card. Once I got him one from Best Buy.

ok' date=' it's very weird, and maybe not appropriate for this board.. suffice to say I was trying to seduce someone, I had magical abilities, demonstrated by my being able to both close and seal a door from across the room, and I was very concerned about a drawing he had done... I kept asking him why he had chosen to use a particular shape... it was important, but I'm not sure why...[/quote']

I don't suppose you remember what the shape was?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it's important but isn't sure why

There's a Creepy Hotel thread? Where?

Do you have....reservations?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says "Well, it's not the greatest neighborhood...and then there's the rumor about the ax murderer caught in your lobby...oh! If you mean, do we have a room reserved, then no...."

Okay, seriously, here's the link:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38795

Because I checked, and you CAN'T FIND IT WITH A SEARCH. I'd say that's creepy, except that lately, I can't seem to find ANYTHING with a search, even when I know darn well it exists. Something is seriously haywire with the search function. :mad:

Lucius Alexander

Following palindromedary tracks

Okay, seriously, here's the link:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38795

Because I checked, and you CAN'T FIND IT WITH A SEARCH. I'd say that's creepy, except that lately, I can't seem to find ANYTHING with a search, even when I know darn well it exists. Something is seriously haywire with the search function. :mad:

Lucius Alexander

Following palindromedary tracks

so I took it to the other thread.. fun fun!

I think I'm going to live. Dammit. The urge to purge is gone, but I'm still feeling weak. I should be able to eat something today, though.

Further thoughts about illness under a spoiler to save those of queasy stomach...

The last time I had the stomach flu (about this time last year, coincidentally enough) I completely lost my appetite forever for certain foods that came up again and again. I still don't care for chicken anymore, and honey mustard is a "Hell no!" Until this week, that was the most disgusting few days of my life, from which I thought my bathroom would never recover.

This time was different. Instead of losing certain appetites, I find I crave new things. I want fruit. I never eat fruit! It's one of the biggest jokes in my family. I don't buy fresh fruit unless I need it for a recipe, like the apple pie contest last year. Now, I'm dying for some fruit. Apples and pineapple specifically. Also, I want a milkshake. Now, I'm not particularly against milkshakes, but I rarely crave them. Can't remember the last time I had one. Perhaps I should start looking into combining the two and get a fruit smoothie.

My bathroom has been designated a disaster area. I won't go into further details for fear of inducing a Cthulhuesque roll for sanity loss. When I move out I'm going to suggest to the manager that they condemn this apartment and never let living things in here again. :help:

:sick:

Fruit? :nonp:

Well, it is easier to digest. It's composed mainly of fiber and fructose. The fiber helps the rest of the digestive system return to normal, and the fructose gives a boost of energy. Plus, vitamins.

A Question for Cancer.

How accurately can we measure the Earth's rotation and position?

The reason I ask, I have an idea for a super campaign origin. To everyone on Earth, the feel a "skip" and while everyone is still in the same spot (including moving planes, car, etc.) the Earth has moved forward in its rotation/time. Superpowers start showing up after this.

So what is the smallest time span science can determine if they have to use nuclear physics and astronomy to determine the length of missing time?

If we're just talking atomic clocks, then the answer from USNO is

By automatic intercomparison of all clocks every 100 seconds, the USNO time scale can be computed which is not only reliable but also extremely stable. Its rate does not change by more than about 100 picoseconds (0.000 000 000 1 seconds) per day from day to day.

If you're observing just Earth's rotation, the data come in slower and with less accuracy, but it's still pretty good. Better than a ten-thousandth of a second of time (which is the tabulated accuracy at this list maintained by USNO's Earth Orientation Service). And if someone is doing VLBA observations when it happens (there's a small number of facilities that do this, so it's not a given), then I suspect the interval is less than a millionth of a second.

I also suspect DoD and other outfits whose job it is to watch for nuclear attack would notice such a discontinuity immediately, and just go apes**t crazy about it, since spacecraft trajectories (which they monitor continuously) would be obviously affected. That includes GPS, of course, which would have other consequences as well.