Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Ditto. And Jeb wants to run...

Like people are going to vote for someone named for a Beverly Hillbilly...

Well the first thing ya know, ol' Jeb's a millionaire

The kinfolk said, "Jeb, move away from there!

Yer family's in the White House, that's why y'oughtta run"

So they loaded up the van and moved to Washington

D.C., that is

Office pools... call girls!

The governor of Florida... you know, the kid brother to that mook some people call "President"... has decided that in its infinite wisdom, the State of Florida needs five fewer administrative judges on its payroll.

Five. Not "five hundred". Not "five thousand". Five. And he personally decided which ones would be "downsized".

My wife was one of them. There was no warning... she had already begun processing her docket this morning when the Senior Court Judge called her in for a private meeting in which she said "We can work it two ways. One, you resign and we won't contest your unemployment benefits. Two, we fire you and keep your unemployment benefits in process until 2007."

According to her direct supervisor, the five people the Governor "downsized" were the only registered democrats hearing cases in the North-Florida administrative district. Coincidence? I wonder.

Our household income, after Becky's prodigious medical expenses, wasn't all that hot to begin with. Now, factoring and now that we've lost what little medical insurance we were able to scrape together to cover her and the kids, its even cooler.

Well, I think the question, given the lack of medical insurance, is, did she resign? And are you suing?

JG

Guest Worldmaker

Well, I think the question, given the lack of medical insurance, is, did she resign? And are you suing?

No, she didn't. And her direct supervisor (not the Senior Court Judge, but a man working for said SCJ), made sure that the separation paperwork reflected that it was being done over his objections, that it was not for cause, and that Becky had fulfilled all of her duties and obligations and was being fired for reasons not related to her job performance.

From the phone call he gave her yesterday afternoon, the SCJ was livid because those separation documents basically guarantee that her unemployment paperwork will sail right through regardless of what the SCJ wants.

And unfortunately for him, Judge Rickman (Becky's direct boss) cannot be fired so easily (the State Senate would need to impeach him), and is thus immune to the SCJ's wrath.

No, she didn't. And her direct supervisor (not the Senior Court Judge, but a man working for said SCJ), made sure that the separation paperwork reflected that it was being done over his objections, that it was not for cause, and that Becky had fulfilled all of her duties and obligations and was being fired for reasons not related to her job performance.

From the phone call he gave her yesterday afternoon, the SCJ was livid because those separation documents basically guarantee that her unemployment paperwork will sail right through regardless of what the SCJ wants.

And unfortunately for him, Judge Rickman (Becky's direct boss) cannot be fired so easily (the State Senate would need to impeach him), and is thus immune to the SCJ's wrath.

Good for him then.

JG

Some small piece of justice out of all of this, then. The irony of having to fight to get justice out of a bunch of judges is soul wrenching. Its times like this when I wish I truly were an archmage. Oh, the curses that would be cast...

The governor of Florida... you know' date=' the kid brother to that mook some people call "President"... has decided that in its infinite wisdom, the State of Florida needs five fewer administrative judges on its payroll. (etc)[/quote']

Sheesh, a stunt like this would be almost Machiavellian if it weren't pulled by the nose-picking kin of a nose-picking moron. :no:

My positive karma goes out to you, WM.

John T

A blessing to him. And I understand to a very minor degree what the medical coverage cut is like, Alice just found out hers is being cut today. We might just outrightly cancel it and pay out of pocket because we can afford $20.00 a paycheck for medical coverage that isn't covering jack.

My 13 year old asked me the other day how yellow ribbons came to mean "support the troops". I told him that yellow ribbons don't mean "support the troops". They mean "please come home, we want you back".

He thought about it some, and finally said "Dad, most people are stupid, aren't they?"

That was from the old Tony Orlando song, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree". First used in the Iranian hostage crisis.

JG

Some small piece of justice out of all of this' date=' then. The irony of having to fight to get justice out of a bunch of judges is soul wrenching. Its times like this when I wish I truly [i']were[/i] an archmage. Oh, the curses that would be cast...

Sounds a bit like... justice, eh? ;)

Worldmaker, hope better days find you soon.

Unemployment: Day One

Well, here I am - home alone trying to keep myself busy, trying to not to just go back to sleep, and trying not to think about how badly having no job sucks. Yesterday, I sent my updated resume to seven recruiters I know and re-activated my Monster.com profile. This morning, I found e-mail with job matches in my e-mail. As expected, most of them are either way beyond my experience, require Top Secret security clearance with a lifestyle polygraph (gotta love living in DC!) or both. I applied for the one out of 20 I actually qualify for.

Let the good times roll... ::sigh::

Well, my favorite find so far is the job wanting someone with a PHD but paying $12-14.

Though in one month, I might as well go for the low paying jobs since unemployment will run out then.

Well, my favorite find so far is the job wanting someone with a PHD but paying $12-14.

Though in one month, I might as well go for the low paying jobs since unemployment will run out then.

Damn, has it already been that long lemming? I wish you luck in your job search.

We have someone in our gaming group who has worked a total of 3 months in the last 2 years. If she doesn't have a job by the end of the month, she has to move back in with her parents. Of course most of us quietly ponder why she won't consider a low paying job which is better than nothing.

I apologize to anyone who finds that I have been aggressive about signing up for the World Community Grid. But I've lost too many loved ones to diseases and disorders this project might someday find a cure for.

Not at all, to my knowledge you've been just fine.

[As expected' date= most of them are either way beyond my experience, require Top Secret security clearance with a lifestyle polygraph (gotta love living in DC!) or both. [/quote]

Don't let the lack of a TS Clearance stop you from applying for jobs you're qualified for. If the company likes you, they will hire you and find something else for you to do while your clearance comes in. There aren't enough cleared people for all the positions out there. Don't let it stop you from applying!

And the Lifestyle Poly should be easy:

Interviewer: Have you ever done any of the things that Mightybec does?

Candidate: Ew!! No!

Interviewer: Have you ever lied about not doing the things that Mightbec does?

Candidate: No.

Interviewer: We're done here...

Doc

And on top of that, you can't get a TS clearance unless your employer needs to give you one. It's a catch-22 situation.

I don't think TS clearance is that bad. Yeah, it's a colossal PITA, but unless you have severe gambling debts, are foreign or closely related to a foreign national, or are otherwise blackmailable, you should pass. Then again, I've only ever had to get S, so what do I know?

Guest Worldmaker

That was from the old Tony Orlando song, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree". First used in the Iranian hostage crisis.

Yes, I know. :)

And on top of that' date=' you can't [i']get[/i] a TS clearance unless your employer needs to give you one. It's a catch-22 situation.

I don't think TS clearance is that bad. Yeah, it's a colossal PITA, but unless you have severe gambling debts, are foreign or closely related to a foreign national, or are otherwise blackmailable, you should pass. Then again, I've only ever had to get S, so what do I know?

When I've had security checks done on me and I had to ask that popular question, "Are you involved in any group or organization that seeks to overthrow the Federal Government?" I usually reply with either the Boys Scouts (Dem Prez) or the Hari Krishna (GOP Prez). It throws them off and make the day more interesting for me... :eg: