Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

My older brother really dislikes spiders' date=' too. Yet he sat up late one night watching [i']Arachnophobia[/i]. He couldn't sleep properly for a week. :rolleyes:

Oddly, I seemed to be LESS arachnophobic after seeing that movie. It may have taken a little while, but a spider has to REALLY be close/startling/etc to make me jump across a room or start throwing shoes.

Indeed it does . . .

Which is true for me, in a way. But movies tend to give my imagination the fuel for precisely WHAT might be lurking in those shadows . . .

Strangely, this would all result in great relief if I was ever frightened while walking home at night to discover it was only a serial murderer following me. Very odd.

I like to read cryptozoology type stuff.

Late at night it is not always a good idea. I get nervous about looking out the window. ;)

I've heard about parents like those.

I always secretly pray the kids grow up to boil their parents in a stew.

Hmm. Does that make me twisted? *shrugs*

"about a maid I'll sing a song

sing rickety tickety tin

about a maid I'll sing a song

she didn't have her family long

for she did every one of them in, them in

she did every one of them in"

Tom Lehrer was a GENIUS!

Though I would have had political disagreements with him. :(

I like to read cryptozoology type stuff.

Late at night it is not always a good idea. I get nervous about looking out the window. ;)

Cryptozoology is fun, and unlike many other speculative interests has actually been correct on rare occassion. Do you have any Sasquatch interest or other particular alleged species you follow?

sing rickety tickety tin

Tom Lehrer was a GENIUS!

Ah, yes, I love Tom Lehrer's stuff, and talk about a sort of idyllic music life in that he could record when he wanted as he didn't rely on it for his living, yet had his own following and created a body of work that will last.

Yes. I couldn't' date=' Josh couldn't, and apparently neither could Dr. A or RPMiller.[/quote']

Quite true. And for me, at least, it still seems to be reacting sluggishly...or at least slower than normal. (I know it's not my net connection in general, because a number of other sites I visit on a regular basis are rolling along at the same speed as always.)

Cryptozoology is fun' date=' and unlike many other speculative interests has actually been correct on rare occassion. Do you have any Sasquatch interest or other particular alleged species you follow?[/quote']

Not so much Sasquatch per se, though that is one of the regional names. I'm intrigued by the fact that just about EVERY native american culture has legends similar... and that Many other areas have similar legends.

Sea monsters and things like them are also interesting, I'm still waiting for a repeat of the incident I have read about where an immature eel something like 10 times the size of normal ones was caught in a net...

Giant turtle reports, odd fish, displaced creatures, Giant birds...

its all good. ;)

I'll have to post the name of the "textbooks" I have, I need to write it down.

I found it interesting the number of times I wondered if the author had really cross referenced his entries, as there were some where the proposed "explanation" didn't work well at all, but fit REALLY well with another entry.

BL was banned? Why?

I was looking back, seems that Ben and Dan perceived him to be a general butt from some political arguments, then he was temp-banned, then he came back under a couple assumed identities, was perm-banned for that, and in his last message posted a threat as he mentioned to being petty and veangeful (his words) and this not going away.

Not so much Sasquatch per se, though that is one of the regional names. I'm intrigued by the fact that just about EVERY native american culture has legends similar... and that Many other areas have similar legends.

Sea monsters and things like them are also interesting, I'm still waiting for a repeat of the incident I have read about where an immature eel something like 10 times the size of normal ones was caught in a net...

Giant turtle reports, odd fish, displaced creatures, Giant birds...

its all good. ;)

I'll have to post the name of the "textbooks" I have, I need to write it down.

I found it interesting the number of times I wondered if the author had really cross referenced his entries, as there were some where the proposed "explanation" didn't work well at all, but fit REALLY well with another entry.

I have a sort of passing interest, not at home but would have to check a little mini-encyclopedia I have to indicate it as well as a reference.

I was looking in a book on animals my wife picked up last night. I learned a couple interesting things.

Pangolins are extensively hunted in Africa for food, and their scales are used in Chinese medicine. Their scales are apparently horn, not the rhino horn like compressed hair I had thought they were. The edges of the scales can be razor sharp, so when a pangolin is threatened it can swat a foe with its tail quite effectively. NOT ONLY THAT, but they can project a noxious spray from their anal glands like a skunk.

You'd be amazed at the number of species that are getting hunted to extinction for the sake of Chinese medicine....

JG

You'd be amazed at the number of species that are getting hunted to extinction for the sake of Chinese medicine....

JG

apparently they aren't endangered, but habitat loss is a threat.

Did you hear about the Chinese bear bile "farmer" who was eaten by his bears. I hope he tasted good. :eg:

Quite true. And for me' date=' at least, it still seems to be reacting sluggishly...or at least slower than normal. (I know it's not my net connection in general, because a number of other sites I visit on a regular basis are rolling along at the same speed as always.)[/quote']

And I noticed that, just about one minute ago, the forums started responding as fast as they used to. Whatever was slowing them down (at least for me) seems to have run its course. :thumbup:

sing rickety tickety tin

Tom Lehrer was a GENIUS!

One morning in a fit of pique

Sing rickety-tickety-tin

One morning in a fit of pique

She drowned her father in the creek

The water tasted bad for a wee-eek

So they had to make do with gin

Please don't start a discussion like this...every time I look back on problems in my childhood' date=' my teen years, my early twenties -- things that were major crisis, things that tore me up for weeks or months -- I realize now how simple it would be to deal with those [i']now[/i], and I start getting depressed by the fact we never have the relevant experience when we need it, only after, and that starts reminding me how old I'm getting... :weep:

As I look back upon my life

It's always with a sense of shame

I've always been the one to blame

For everything I ever do

no matter when, or where or who

there's one thing in common too

It's a sin

if i see the mean ghost one more time, i'm cleansing the whole house, even if that means sending the cute ghost kitty and the girl away.

i'll do it! i swear to the gods!!! *shakes fist at mean ghost* jerk!

in my experience, not all things that look cute are actually cute. Some just like to look cute and unassuming. Lowers one's defenses.