What would Dr. Destroyer *really* do?

Kirby

Thinking about the world situation and Champions made me start thinking, if a Dr. Destroyer truly existed, what would he really do to start gaining control of the world?

My guess is that he'd actually take out the Middle East, followed by most of northern and western Africa, North Korea and then Columbia.

My reasoning is that he'd probably prefer to go after the most unstable regions in the country because he wishes to impose order (his kind) and the unstable just couldn't be contained for him. Another bonus is that he's not attacking the countries with the world's most powerful supers, so he'd have less initial resistance. Along with this, the "world leader" nations would be given much grief for not preventing this (along with the same lines as when world powers are accused of not doing enough to prevent plagues, famine, AIDS, poverty, etc. outside of their borders).

His attacks would have several affects on those Destroyer is not eliminating the populace: 1) Supers from those countries would be fatigued trying to follow Destroyer's "flight plan" and either be too weak to help when they encounter a country under seige, or would return "home" to defend their homeland. 2) Political pressure from weaker, but popular countries would strain and even terminate political relations, causing more tension from countries still allied with both strained parties. 3) Somehow, should Destroyer show to be a juggernaut, I think China would offer Destroyer assistance if he would assure China better resources and help "solve" the "Taiwan problem." 4) Many weaker countries would surrender to Destroyer in hopes of being spared.

I think there would also come a time of "stalemate" conquerings where Destroyer & troops could no longer advance their cause, yet no one else can find where Destroyer is residing, or, if he's in China, cannot send enough supers to combat both Destroyer & the Tiger Squad. I think Destroyer would then begin a "scorched Earth" policy of lands that are inhabitable for humans (to his standards) and completely raze the lands (notably many African countries where famine & poverty are rampant and some southern Asian/Middle Eastern countries).

For his finality, when he's ready to attack all the first world countries, I think somehow the majority of South America would fancy Destroyer (and maybe he makes a public bias favoring them) and then he would raze most of Central America. This would be followed by his assault on the U.S. (attacking the super power where the majority of supers are written --er, live :) which would either be his greatest victory (depending on agents left, villainous supers on his side, other countries -and their supers- siding with him) or his actual final defeat.

Somehow, I feel that Canada would be one of the countries not attacked, either due to its distance from Europe and Asia and low-level military threat to Destroyer, that he figured he'd walk right in after a U.S. victory, or that they would capitulate, though probably one of the former two.

Of course, there is a possibility that Destroyer could launch nuclear missiles, in which case, any country that supports Destroyer would probably be nuked in response and a mini-nuke might be used whenever Destroyer attacked the U.S. All of this leaving many repercussions on the world. And maybe two to three billion people.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What would Dr. Destroyer *really* do?

He'd make a huge fortune by selling his lower-tier medical, robotics and computer technologies, including some reasonable good tech to the military. He'd use this to get control of a few major news networks and media conglomerates, and build a massive propaganda machine. He'd back loyal local, state and national candidates who claimed to share the political views espoused by his media machine. He'd install a series of loyal puppet presidents and senators in the US, using lies and slander to make all those who oppossed him appear to be villains. His money would gain him control of international corporations and governments until most of the world was in his grasp. Finally, hed buy out the corrupt leaders of the Middle East and the Third World, and back up their attempts to modernize those nations with his own forces, now supported by US, European and Asian tax dollars. He'd set the "heroes" the task of fighting the other would-be world conquering villains that popped up. They'd never hear more about him than the occasional wild rumor.

Not much fun, eh? ;)

Not much fun' date=' eh? ;)[/quote']

:think: Hmm... that doesn't sound like the Destroyer I know. I don't think he's strapped for cash or concerned about the fortunes, but this might be a predecessor to the above scenario.

Though, I'd think if he'd want puppet leaders, he would have had them, but then again, who knows?

He might clue in on the idea that "hey, if I destroy a city, they make a big new much more advanced city in its place. I should destroy more cities. Then, after I make the rounds, I'll go back and destroy the first one again and see how much better it'll be..."

:think: Hmm... that doesn't sound like the Destroyer I know. I don't think he's strapped for cash or concerned about the fortunes' date=' but this [i']might[/i] be a predecessor to the above scenario.

Though, I'd think if he'd want puppet leaders, he would have had them, but then again, who knows?

I figured a real world Dr.Desroyer would want real power. ;) With his technology, he doesn't need to use armies of robots to take over the world; he can take over the world with lawyers and TV ads, and it'll be easier in the bargain. Of course his psych limits would need to change a bit, but still...

I figured a real world Dr.Desroyer would want real power. ;) With his technology' date=' he doesn't need to use armies of robots to take over the world; he can take over the world with lawyers and TV ads, and it'll be easier in the bargain. Of course his psych limits would need to change a bit, but still...[/quote']

Pretty much what I originally thought as well.

He might clue in on the idea that "hey' date=' if I destroy a city, they make a big new much more advanced city in its place. I should destroy more cities. Then, after I make the rounds, I'll go back and destroy the first one again and see how much better it'll be..."[/quote']

That sounds just like something from the Babylon 5 Zaha'dum episode. The Shadow Theory of Evolution Through Conflict. What if...... :sneaky:

The key question, is what you use him to "destroy".

Disrupt the worlds supply of oil and natural gas, then sell his high-tech power generators cheaply to all those who buy them.

After a couple of years, the economy (which is energy based), will be in the toilet due to his low, low, prices!

Then all he has to do is have some people run for public office, offering "radical" fixes the economy.

Fixes he will benefit from, of course.

Alternatively, he may attempt to start some kind of "Ethnic War" against an ethnic group to gather support.

Of course, the simplist change to Destroyer and still being able to use him is to just change his race. He becomes a completely different character then.

Wiping out the world's oil supply would be a natural for Doctor Destroyer on many levels:

1. Collapses the economic funding of many Middle Eastern terrorist groups, who are one of the obstacles on his path to global order.

2. Handled properly, could in fact wipe out common ownership and usage of automobiles. The automobile allows personal autonomy in transportation, which is something that Doctor Destroyer would of course hate. He would prefer cheap affordable public transportation ultimately controlled of course by Doctor Destroyer.

3. Consumption of fossil fuels is detrimental to the environment and naturally Doctor Destroyer does not want the world ecology to collapse (not unless he thinks its the only way to establish global order under biodomes of his own construction).

Another option would be the pull off what VIPER wants to do' date=' and start conquering Africa. While he doesn't have the forces to do it as quickly as VIPER could, he's got the tech that he could probably protect his conquest from massive Western counterattack.[/quote']

Heh, I forgot all about VIPER. Yeah, I could see another team-up with the two of them taking different sections of Africa or of the same country and eliminating threats one by one. :sneaky:

The odd thing about Dr. Destroyer - and I'm answering this as a GM who's about to run his Champions group through "The Island of Dr. Destroyer" (no relationship to the 1991 incident from the Champions Universe sourcebook. It's actually the 1981 1st edition Champions adventure in which Dr. Destroyer attempts to launch a mind control satellite to destroy the free will of every living being on Earth) is that his M.O. seems to change depending on the situation. None of the plots I've read so far though suggest that he would involve himself with the problems in the middle east (remember: never get involved in a land war in Asia!) unless it were to perhaps secretly supply both sides with weaponry and gain the favor of both sides.

Dr. D's plans seem to be a lot more widescale than taking over/occupying a country and a lot more covert. It is very likely that he already runs several countries through puppet rulers - including maybe the USA (campaign finance reform will never happen! bwahaha!).

I can't. Following the Operation Orobouros disaster' date=' VIPER will cooperate with Dr Destroyer a few weeks after Takofanes opens a clinic and heals the sick and injured.[/quote']

Yeah, the only way VIPER is 'cooperating' with Doctor Destroyer is the week after he blows away the Supreme Serpent, ganks the entire Council of Thirty, and hacks Serpentine to pass on *his* orders to all the lower echelons.

Yeah' date=' the only way VIPER is 'cooperating' with Doctor Destroyer is the week after he blows away the Supreme Serpent, ganks the entire Council of Thirty, and hacks Serpentine to pass on *his* orders to all the lower echelons.[/quote']

Plot Idea anyone? LMAO

First off, Dr. D would not try to raise an army and take control in a conventional sense in the "real" world. He would be the most infamous living member of the Nazi party, and Israel would have a multi million dollar bounty on his head.

Not a single person who could identify him as Dr. Destroyer would ever see him, yet he would run everything that operates in the shadows. He would be behind the drug cartels, the Yakuza, Al Qaeda, The Turner Militias, The Lord's Army. And he would be using these organizations over a period of decades as a diversion, to prevent the nations of Earth from developing a proper space program, and to finance his own.

He would then take 10,000 genetically diverse loyal followers, climb into his space ship, and settle them in an O'Neill Cylinder where he would await the apocalyptic eco-disaster he helped create by causing global warming.

Also, in the real world, he would be hopelessly insane, and he and his followers would be dead from the cyanide in the kool aid before the ship ever arrives.

Yeah' date=' the only way VIPER is 'cooperating' with Doctor Destroyer is the week after he blows away the Supreme Serpent, ganks the entire Council of Thirty, and hacks Serpentine to pass on *his* orders to all the lower echelons.[/quote']

Heh, yeah, that too. I must say that I'm more a fan of the 4th Ed Dr. D. & VIPER (and well, for almost everything regarding Champions :straight: ) and that's probably where most of my thinking on them comes from. Oh well.

None of the plots I've read so far though suggest that he would involve himself with the problems in the middle east (remember: never get involved in a land war in Asia!) unless it were to perhaps secretly supply both sides with weaponry and gain the favor of both sides.

Good points. My thinking was of a more agressive person as opposed to "seen only a few times" as in comics and RPG campaigns.

I would think he would want to eliminate the whole "Middle East equation" and might apply that to North Korea as well. I could see him buying nuclear weapons off the black market as well as trying to create some of his own so that he could eliminate some "annoyances" to his grand plan as opposed to occupying enemy territory.

As for the land war, do you think Dr. D. would go up against a Sicilian when death was on the line? ;)

Ok, at this point I have to ask a stupid question:

Why does Dr. D. want to take over the world?

No, seriously now. Is it the "saving the world from itself" mentality, or is it an insatiable power lust, or is it something else? I mean, the man is so powerful physically, financially, politically, influencially...what more does he want? He's smart enough to realize that ruling the world is a fool's errand. And I find it hard to believe that he's so insecure that he needs others to acknowledge his superiority or he'll never be happy. Power? Is there anything he can't do, any thing he can't have (aside from world rulership)? Any woman he can't...well, ok, maybe not that. What is it?

(Please bear in mind that I don't have CHAMPIONS or the Champions Universe, nor CKC, and pity me.)

I'd put it down as power-hunger' date=' mostly. He believes himself the greatest human ever, and wishes to prove it by conquering everything. And I doubt he'd stop at Earth, either.[/quote']

I agree, but also put in the fact that he's a genius (mad, perhaps) who has overwhelming power. Power corrupts. He probably knows the best way for the planet to be run smoothly, but he can't convince the world of this, so he slowly used his power to show people his way until he became addicted to it. Now he's at the point where he may want Earth to have one culture (his) and his hubris can't let him say "Okay, I've going about this all wrong, I'm sorry." Much less could he deem others fit to be peers to judge him. Adults wouldn't let children discipline them, and that might be one of the better views Destroyer has on the rest of humanity.