What would Dr. Destroyer *really* do?

Kirby

Re: What would Dr. Destroyer *really* do?

I'd agree, perhaps, save that Dr D spent far too much of his early career selling out and betraying people so he could do his research.

Perhaps another way to put his motivation: he believes himself a god in the old school, fear and awe manner. His actions are thus intended to ensure the world views him with fear and awe.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer to why Dr. Destroyer tries to take over the world you have to look at his psychology. Destroyer suffers from a Narcisistic Personality Disorder. Of course he realizes it is a fools errand for ANYONE OTHER THAN HIM to take over the world. With everything he has accomplished it is the next step toward making the world in HIS image. (The way it should be.) The world revolves around him and other people are merely his playthings. The destruction of Detroit was his way of letting the world know he could do it and that they belonged to him. He has no true attachment to anything or anyone except himself.

To answer to why Dr. Destroyer tries to take over the world you have to look at his psychology. Destroyer suffers from a Narcisistic Personality Disorder. Of course he realizes it is a fools errand for ANYONE OTHER THAN HIM to take over the world. With everything he has accomplished it is the next step toward making the world in HIS image. (The way it should be.) The world revolves around him and other people are merely his playthings. The destruction of Detroit was his way of letting the world know he could do it and that they belonged to him. He has no true attachment to anything or anyone except himself.

I believe a lot of people in their lives have looked at some of the stupid things our government [or some other government] has done and said: "wtf? I can do better then that!" Now imagine that feeling when you have a 350 IQ and the world's largest arsenal to back you up. There's no doubt that if not for the intervention of superheroes Dr. Destroyer would have taken over the world long ago [or at the very least the US].

Dr. Destroyer comes from an era where military might wins you countries. Nazi Germany sucking them up as they roll along, followed by Russia and the west trying to suck them up after Germany's fall [Castro's Cuba, various Coups in South American, etc]. Dr. D comes from the era where you take what you want, you don't wait for the "sheep" to vote you into power [and even then you only stay in power for a short period of time]. Ultimately Dr. D is just a walking example of human nature from a bygone era: Might equals right.

I would imagine the survivors of Dr. D's world conquest would live a fairly interesting life. They'd live in a world with fusion power and where machines took care of the mundane needs of society. Crime would be brutally squashed; criminals would fear for their lives, and even the lives of their families, if they committed crimes. Where religion has long-failed to curtail mankind's criminal tendencies [who cares about going to a "maybe" Hell] the fear of Dr. Destroyer's justice, coupled with the fact that man's basic needs [food, shelter, etc] would be supplied to him for free, would have a huge effect on crime. Follow the path or you WILL BE liquidated would make for a huge deterrent. :)

Dr. Destroyer's world would be an interesting place. Somethings would be better and something would be worse. Throughout most of recorded history people didn't have freedom, and for the most part I don't believe people would miss it. What would screw up Dr. D's world is that small percentage of free-thinkers who hate the idea of being told what to do. I think Dr. D would move them all to Australia. :)

Well, do you mean what Dr Destroyer would do in the 'real world' if he actually existed in it?

If he still has all of his capabilities from the game, pretty much well whatever he damn well pleased.

Real life/real world can't deal with his technology from the CU very well.

If he just had his drive to rule the world and none of his game abilities?

I would have to say he would probably be in the same shoes today as Saddam Hussein.

First you get the oil, then you get the women.

Actually, while the Middle East might be a reasonable target, I think I'd make it a ruse. The whole point would be to force troops to deploy to parts of the world where they are at a disadvantage and have trouble with supply lines, but more importantly: Where they aren't protecting their home, thus leaving it vulnerable.

Looking at the history of Dr. Destroyer's actions, both in his current and past incarnations, a clear pattern emerges. Satellite-based global mind control; wiping out 90% of the human population at once; invading the United States from a mobile artificial island; bombarding the US with asteroids... whatever scheme Destroyer comes up with, it's going to be big, loud, technologically sophisticated, and designed to achieve his ends at a single stroke. The Doctor is capable of great subtlety, guile and patience when setting up a long-term plan, but the climax of the plan will be direct and grandiose, drawing the attention of the whole world to the genius, irresistable power, and sheer magnificent supremacy of Dr. Destroyer. :rolleyes:

Y'know, maybe he'd be a miserable old man in a nursing home. In the real world, what with no supertech, he'd have been just another psychotic Nazi scientist. The Americans would have used him for a while on the space program if he was sane enough to cooperate, then retired him with a pension. He was never a family guy, so no wife, kids and grandkids to help him keep things together as he got older. No friends either. He probably passes his time hacking, engaging in flame wars, and sending emails claiming to be a Nigerian banker.

Y'know' date=' maybe he'd be a miserable old man in a nursing home. In the real world, what with no supertech, he'd have been just another psychotic Nazi scientist. The Americans would have used him for a while on the space program if he was sane enough to cooperate, then retired him with a pension. He was never a family guy, so no wife, kids and grandkids to help him keep things together as he got older. No friends either. He probably passes his time hacking, engaging in flame wars, and sending emails claiming to be a Nigerian banker.[/quote']

:)

Y'know' date=' maybe he'd be a miserable old man in a nursing home. In the real world, what with no supertech, he'd have been just another psychotic Nazi scientist. The Americans would have used him for a while on the space program if he was sane enough to cooperate, then retired him with a pension. He was never a family guy, so no wife, kids and grandkids to help him keep things together as he got older. No friends either. He probably passes his time hacking, engaging in flame wars, and sending emails claiming to be a Nigerian banker.[/quote']

Then again, he may have a few followers... I seem to recall a movie called "Apt Pupil". Evil begets itself in many different forms.

Still, I can't keep the image of an old man unmasked to a middle-American law enforcement agent saying "I would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those darn meddling kids..."

Based on his 5th ed profile, I think he'd start offering noticeable (to us) technological advances that, to him, are trifling, in exchange for certain legal/economic rights, and access to data.

"You get cold fusion, I get a week to study Cateran. Yes, the procedures will be invasive, but she will suffer no permanent harm."

--and he'll mean it, no extra strings, no hidden clauses.

Destroyer wants his aging problem fixed, and "deals" like the ones above would further legitimize him in the eyes of many while undercutting opposition.

To answer to why Dr. Destroyer tries to take over the world you have to look at his psychology. Destroyer suffers from a Narcisistic Personality Disorder... With everything he has accomplished it is the next step toward making the world in HIS image. (The way it should be.) The world revolves around him and other people are merely his playthings... He has no true attachment to anything or anyone except himself.

OT: Is 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' the latest term for sociopathy?

If Dr D doesn't take over the world, then Takofanes, Tyrannon, Istvatha V'han, Menton, Telios, the Lords of Edom, Viper, Demon, or any number of other beings will take over. And then Dr D will be operating under a big handicap. In his mind, it's better to preemptively take over and build up a power base so that he'd be in a better position to deal with potential rivals.

Thinking about the world situation and Champions made me start thinking' date=' if a Dr. Destroyer truly existed, what would he [i']really[/i] do to start gaining control of the world?

My guess is that he'd actually take out the Middle East, followed by most of northern and western Africa, North Korea and then Columbia.

My reasoning is that he'd probably prefer to go after the most unstable regions in the country because he wishes to impose order (his kind) and the unstable just couldn't be contained for him. Another bonus is that he's not attacking the countries with the world's most powerful supers, so he'd have less initial resistance. Along with this, the "world leader" nations would be given much grief for not preventing this (along with the same lines as when world powers are accused of not doing enough to prevent plagues, famine, AIDS, poverty, etc. outside of their borders).

His attacks would have several affects on those Destroyer is not eliminating the populace: 1) Supers from those countries would be fatigued trying to follow Destroyer's "flight plan" and either be too weak to help when they encounter a country under seige, or would return "home" to defend their homeland. 2) Political pressure from weaker, but popular countries would strain and even terminate political relations, causing more tension from countries still allied with both strained parties. 3) Somehow, should Destroyer show to be a juggernaut, I think China would offer Destroyer assistance if he would assure China better resources and help "solve" the "Taiwan problem." 4) Many weaker countries would surrender to Destroyer in hopes of being spared.

I think there would also come a time of "stalemate" conquerings where Destroyer & troops could no longer advance their cause, yet no one else can find where Destroyer is residing, or, if he's in China, cannot send enough supers to combat both Destroyer & the Tiger Squad. I think Destroyer would then begin a "scorched Earth" policy of lands that are inhabitable for humans (to his standards) and completely raze the lands (notably many African countries where famine & poverty are rampant and some southern Asian/Middle Eastern countries).

For his finality, when he's ready to attack all the first world countries, I think somehow the majority of South America would fancy Destroyer (and maybe he makes a public bias favoring them) and then he would raze most of Central America. This would be followed by his assault on the U.S. (attacking the super power where the majority of supers are written --er, live :) which would either be his greatest victory (depending on agents left, villainous supers on his side, other countries -and their supers- siding with him) or his actual final defeat.

Somehow, I feel that Canada would be one of the countries not attacked, either due to its distance from Europe and Asia and low-level military threat to Destroyer, that he figured he'd walk right in after a U.S. victory, or that they would capitulate, though probably one of the former two.

Of course, there is a possibility that Destroyer could launch nuclear missiles, in which case, any country that supports Destroyer would probably be nuked in response and a mini-nuke might be used whenever Destroyer attacked the U.S. All of this leaving many repercussions on the world. And maybe two to three billion people.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else?

Why don't you and the guys at HERO go and talk to Square Enix about using this story for a Champions console RPG. What you are proposing would sure be a match for any Final Fantasy plot (and I used to play the games, so I'd know).

OT: Is 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' the latest term for sociopathy?

No it isn't. The Narcissism aspect is where the world revolves around you and is reffered to as a Narcissitic Personality Disorder. Sociopathy is an Antisocial Personality Disorder. (Manipulative, Impulsive and Aggressive) Which come to think of it Dr. Destroyer has in spades as well.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Diagnostic Criteria

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

4. requires excessive admiration

5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

8. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Diagnostic Criteria

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

4. requires excessive admiration

5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

8. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Hey, that's me! :king: