Pulp Hero Forum

Metaphysician

Re: Pulp Hero Forum

When Pulp Hero is released' date=' will it get its own board like Dark Champions?? While Ninja Hero didn't get its own board, it also doesn't look like its as supported as Pulp Hero is going to be, with multiple books in the line.[/quote']

On this note... the idea of doing a Crimson Skies campaign makes my mouth water...

Doc Sidhe...Doc Sidhe...Doc Sidhe...

Yes, it's my new mantra involving pulp hero if for no other reason than the main hero whose eyes we see the world through is actually devastatingly effective. A nice change from the traditional "fish out of water" routine where the reader's viewpoint has to be rescued a lot.

And I'm still lobbying for a Doc Sidhe sourcebook. ;)

If it seems worthwhile to us' date=' sure. The Dark Champions board seems to be getting a reasonable amount of traffic, which makes the idea of a separate Pulp Hero board worth considering.[/quote']

Well that depends on what details we get on Pulp Hero.

I know it's a ways off.

JG

Pulp Discussion

As a GM that's been working on his Pulp Campaign for a couple of years now (with little success of actual playing time, I might add), I thought I'd pose a question to Hero Fandome in general.

For your Pulp game, do you see more of a Pulp Adventure (Raiders of the Lost Arc, Rocketeer, style game) or Pulp Action (LXG, Doc Savage) sort of game.

What are the merits and disadvantages of each. Which would attract more players?

Re: Pulp Discussion

As a GM that's been working on his Pulp Campaign for a couple of years now (with little success of actual playing time, I might add), I thought I'd pose a question to Hero Fandome in general.

For your Pulp game, do you see more of a Pulp Adventure (Raiders of the Lost Arc, Rocketeer, style game) or Pulp Action (LXG, Doc Savage) sort of game.

What are the merits and disadvantages of each. Which would attract more players?

Personally, I don't see why you can't have both in the same campaign ...

Personally' date=' I don't see why you can't have both in the same campaign ...[/quote']

In all honesty, it'd be hard for me to differentiate on that basis. My contribution is to just list possible sources for inspiration for a Pulp HERO game... this is far from a complete list, and my mind is blanking... so here goes...

Other RPGs

Gear Krieg

Adventure!

Weird Wars

Crimson Skies (boardgame)

Comics

Hellboy

Movies

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Buckaroo Banzai (has some elements, anyways)

The Rocketeer

Indy Jones trilogy

Allan Quartermain series

Big Trouble in Little China (mix of wuxia and pulp)

Video Games

Crimson Skies (both PC version, and the sequel for the Xbox)

Novels

I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to pulp novels. Though I recall Doc Savage was mentioned at some point...

...For your Pulp game, do you see more of a Pulp Adventure (Raiders of the Lost Arc, Rocketeer, style game) or Pulp Action (LXG, Doc Savage) sort of game.

I don't get it. Are Action and Adventure different things? If they are, shouldn't a good game have both?

The differentation begins when you consider the protagonist(s) power levels. Indianna Jones could be seen as significanlty less powerful than Doc Savage or Dorian Grey. Story-wise, yes, I believe you would want so see both.

What sort of criteria would you put on character creation?

Another thought... The adversaries of a Pulp Adventure game are significantly less powered than Pulp Action. This is all coming from my personal issues trying to get my game, Annals of the Mask off of the ground. I kept butting my head against this misunderstanding between these 'tonal distinctions'.

I was thinking more a Pulp Fiction type of game... :eg:

JG

Another thought... The adversaries of a Pulp Adventure game are significantly less powered than Pulp Action. This is all coming from my personal issues trying to get my game, Annals of the Mask off of the ground. I kept butting my head against this misunderstanding between these 'tonal distinctions'.

Yeah, the villains are often physically weak masterminds or femmes fatales, reflecting that "strong hero vs. cunning coward" meme. This means that there are often a lot of underlings for the hero to fight, and also some puzzles or technical challenges to overcome (as with the Doc Savage stories).

The main thing I can think of in running Pulp is the principle of "obstacle piling." Life can never be easy. A major endeavor has always got to be piled with obstacles and potentially lethal threats. For examples, see the old TORG Nile Empire sourcebook, under the Law of Drama.

Or the opening scenes of the Indiana Jones movies. Basically, Indy can't go to the 7-11 for a Super Big Gulp without getting chased by Nazis/cultists/Nazi cultists and having the entire building collapse on him. :D

JG

JG

• 2 weeks later...

Here' date=' Here! Justice Inc. had the best name and cover of any game HERO put out. Why can't we just go back to that?[/quote']

Pulp HERO fits the "Hero" theme.

Of course, by that score, I was one of those who thought Dark Champions shoulda been called "Action HERO"...

JG

My JI campaign has been running (with 1-3 sessions per real-life year) for about 15 years now. I'd love to have a place to compare notes, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing a new Pulp Hero book...(wipe the drool off the keyboard, dude)...

I don't know that Doc Savage types are necessarily a bunch more points than Indiana Jones types (OK, Doc Savage himself is obviously up there, but I'm thinking of Monk, Ham, and so forth: a party of Doc Savages ain't my idea of pulp, just retro Dark Champions). It's more in what is allowed. In my JI campaign, the PCs are all Heroic level, and only one or two of them have anything superhuman about them (the Indian mystic, who's a fairly new character, has some powers based on the original JI book). The others are just very good at what they do. In fact, it's getting to the point where they're running out of reasonable places to put xps and still stay in character. The weird science, magic, and so forth is almost all in the hands of bad guys. The good guys get an "advanced" airship and some crew, and from there it's their wits and fists (and Tommy guns).

A side note on movies: Secondhand Lions is a great film on what your PCs might be like when they get to retirement age. No particularly new gaming ideas (the backstory is fairly typical pulp) but the characterization is great.