Would you allow this VPP?

JmOz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Would you allow this VPP?

For a NPC' date=' sure no problem. For a PC, it's way too cheap for what it gives the player.[/quote']

I don't necessarily agree in that I think if the inclusion of background skills is well-handled, it can work for a PC.

But anyway, that answers JmOz' question in the affirmative. :)

Techincally legal, but it should be watched for abuse by the GM and Player alike. This can be a dangerous construct if the character in question can change their knowledge base quickly, or even from adventure to adventure.

The construct as posted seems limiting enough that it shouldn't cause a problem, the GM can prevent certain skills from being available by excluding them from the database being accessed.

I'd allow it.

It depends on several factors, including the campaign setting and power level and the special effects of the character in question.

In Cyberpunk or modern-feel SF settings, this sort of thing is pretty much a genre given, and definitely should be allowed at a fairly low-level, as you propose.

In high-powered/Galactic Champions campaigns, skill-based characters become less a factor, as the skills-only character starts becoming steadily less competitive with people who can throw aircraft carriers around and hit opponents with energy blasts from across the county. In such settings/campaigns, skill pools that would be broken in most settings (martial maneuver pools, encyclopedic database skills, etc.) do not unbalance things *so long as they are appropriate to the character in question.* Background skill pools are almost always going to be appropriate for robot, android and computer-enhanced-brain characters, but you really don't want to let Flying Brick Man have a cosmic martial maneuver pool.

Such constructs should be incredibly rare or completely unheard-of in street level campaigns, though.

In a cyberpunk campaign, yes.

In most Champions campaigns, probably not, unless there was a really good special effects reason for it and it was the main shtick of a character. Even then, I'd restrict it in a few ways: The character would only be able to download KS that would otherwise be available given enough time and research in a good University level library, and all information would be public records only. Purchased with that pool, CK:NY City would get you all the info you could find in a guide book, including maps. It would not get you the locations of underworld bars, something that CK:NYC might get you if purchased normally.

In a cyberpunk campaign, yes.

In most Champions campaigns, probably not, unless there was a really good special effects reason for it and it was the main shtick of a character. Even then, I'd restrict it in a few ways: The character would only be able to download KS that would otherwise be available given enough time and research in a good University level library, and all information would be public records only. Purchased with that pool, CK:NY City would get you all the info you could find in a guide book, including maps. It would not get you the locations of underworld bars, something that CK:NYC might get you if purchased normally.

F/X reasons put the scale differently, but that is essentialy the idea. This would probably not even be able to scale down to NYC (well maybe do to it's importance, but I digress).

It is not the characters main thing, however it does relate to it

I did something similar for a player who had the ability to access the internet mentally. Internet: 3 point VPP, Only for Background Skills: -1/2, 4 points. You use a Computer Programming Skill to manipulate the power. The character also needed to have the Radio Transmit/Reception power.

12 point pool

Only change at appropriate location (-1/2)

Only Background skills in database (-1/2)

15 total points

It is for a robot, the points may be manipulated, but it gives the general idea

I'd allow the concept. I'd want to see some indication of the extent of the database before approving the -1/2, but if I'm reading this right as access to any database, which provides some GM control over what is or is not available, I'd be OK with it in isolation.

It would impact scenarios, of course, as the PC's no longer need to find that special character who has this knowledge skill, but lots of powers impact the game. You either allow them and work within them or deny them (No, the Murder Mystery characters won't have 15d6 Cumulative Telepathy).

I'd probably also want to clarify the player's expectatons up front. ie how often would skills be available as familiarities, at 11- or at 21- (all 12 points in one background skill).

Do they still have Cramming in 5th ed? If so' date=' could maybe do it that way - buy Cramming a few times, and some levels w/Crammed skills.[/quote']

The problem here is, Cramming gives one only Familiarity, and by standard rules you can't apply Skill Levels to Familiarity-level skills, whether gained through Cramming (it specifically says this in the description of Cramming) or otherwise. Thus, that would be bending the rules just as much as the proposed build.

Yes, but I'd make sure the player understood I was watching for abuse and that I - as the GM - had the final say on what information was available for download. It could be quite useful - from a GM perspective - in advancing plots or skipping banal fact finding escapades.

I'd allow the concept. I'd want to see some indication of the extent of the database before approving the -1/2, but if I'm reading this right as access to any database, which provides some GM control over what is or is not available, I'd be OK with it in isolation.

It would impact scenarios, of course, as the PC's no longer need to find that special character who has this knowledge skill, but lots of powers impact the game. You either allow them and work within them or deny them (No, the Murder Mystery characters won't have 15d6 Cumulative Telepathy).

I'd probably also want to clarify the player's expectatons up front. ie how often would skills be available as familiarities, at 11- or at 21- (all 12 points in one background skill).

It's actualy access to ONE Database with near infinite skills. Some more information, this is part of my Star Knights Program, the Green Lantern analog in my world. The robot is a follower, and is intended more as a basic information source than anything else

General purpose: Languages (2 points worth normaly)

AK: High levels, but very rarely will cities be in it (New York, LA, etc may be at an 11-)

CuK: Same idea as AK

KS: This one is a little tricky, little on magic, high on space pirates, etc...

PS: Depends

SS: Overall high probability if it involves mechanics of some nature, less for others

Note, as it is one database, many terminals, the main character has 4 (One on each vehicle he has bought). This is a F/X thing, not something he has paid points for however.

Yes' date=' but I'd make sure the player understood I was watching for abuse and that I - as the GM - had the final say on what information was available for download. It could be quite useful - from a GM perspective - in advancing plots or skipping banal fact finding escapades.[/quote']

That's the basic idea:

Ohh we are on a new planet: Download what you can about the culture and area...Make sure you remember to grab the most common language as well:

Sir I am sorry but there seems to be little on the area in the SKDB, however what I have found indicates they speak a dialect of charack

Skills:

Ak: Planet Caaren 11-

Lang:Charack 1 point

CulK: Caarenians 8-

KS: Caarenian History 8-

I have been invited to the royal ball of the Star Empress, help me get ready

Yes Sir

AK: CoreCity 15-

Lang: Interlac 4 points

CulK: Royal Court of the Star Empire 15-

KS: Royal Courtias 15-

KS: Star Empire History 11-

We have taken some damage, get on that

Yes Sir

PS: Starship Mechanic 15-

PS: Starship Engineering 15-

SS: Warp Physics 15-

or

Sorry sir, this will take longer than intended, the SKDB link has been destroyed

It all depends on how much the database could logicaly know

The player should either pay for a Computer Link to a real world database' date=' or buy a Computer and define what is in the database.[/quote']

Which would work for KS but would not work for the robot who should be able to download HOW TO skills such as profesional skills, you also realise this is a lot more expensive that even a maxed out Computer link?

General purpose: Languages (2 points worth normaly)

AK: High levels, but very rarely will cities be in it (New York, LA, etc may be at an 11-)

CuK: Same idea as AK

KS: This one is a little tricky, little on magic, high on space pirates, etc...

PS: Depends

SS: Overall high probability if it involves mechanics of some nature, less for others

Note, as it is one database, many terminals, the main character has 4 (One on each vehicle he has bought). This is a F/X thing, not something he has paid points for however.

That would be about as much fleshing out as I'd need. The GM makes the final call of what's logically available in the database, with some calls requiring more judgement than others. It would also allow for missed skill rolls providing misinformation (ie the downloaded Earth data was erroneous).

I'm with Von D-Man in one respect ... I look at it as more of an enabler than a disruptor. It's somewhat illogical to expect that a PC is going to drop a metric squidload of AKs, CKs, KSs, PSs and SCs (I still use SC for sciences) that he may never use or aren't central to the character concept, but could become critically valuable at any given time.

"Darn it, why doesn't anybody have CK: Moscow?!"

"I'm an Arthurian Knight. What's your excuse?"

Since the information is limited to whatever's in the database, as opposed to things that the character might have learned the hard way, you'd probably be low on the details. To back up a few posts, you could get CK: New York City, but not KS: New York City Criminal Hangouts. And, of course, databases *can* be corrupted ...

4th ED had a construct - Universal X (scientist, traveller, scholar). 20 points and you had an 11- on any roll. You could raise the skill roll for 5 points a pip. That was far more abusive but it still was a darn fine addition to the game.

Randy

Are you sure that's in 4th? Now I'll have to go look...