Name for a fictional city

Hermit

I'm working on a fictional city for Champions. The backhistory is still relatively unformed, but it is based on this:

A group of super heroes served bravely for over a decade, defending the nation etc. They began to get a bit long in the tooth (as super heroes go) and decided to retire. One of their last acts was to save a Governor, who told them once "if there is any thing I can do to repay you". While they normally declined rewards, they did ask a favor in. The team purchased (at good rates) a sizable piece of land to build their dream homes away from the world, for the safety of themselves, their children, and any friends who wanted to join them.

Heroes being heroes though, they couldn't quite leave things simple. They used their various mystic gifts, technological devices and metahuman might to shape things up a tad. What was only 'okay' property was made more fertile, more useful, and more self sufficient. They incorporated some of the things gained from fallen foes and put those resources to work as well.

They became something of a tourist spot, and small businesses formed around their property. When their fame began to dwindle off completely, feeling somewhat responsible, they decided to take it a step up and help the tiny population. Suddenly they were constructing a town.

Over the years, some close calls, and so on, that town has grown into a city.

I'm still undecided what state in the United States to put it and where, so I apologize for not having a better description of topography.

That said, I could use a name.

I was thinking of Haven, but Connecticut might complain.

Any ideas?

Re: Name for a fictional city

Santa Carla, California, baby!

I've set all but one of my contemporary campaigns (mostly mystic wierdness-oriented games) in this fictional town, which I lifted from the film LOST BOYS.

"The murder capital of the world? Are you serious, grampa?"

"Well, let's just say that if all the corpses that are buried around here was to stand up all at once, we'd have one hell of a population explosion!"

"One thing I never could stomach about living in Santa Carla--all the damn vampires!"

I'd imagine the city might partly base it's name on the name of the old hero's team. What was it?

That also, is undecided.

The ideas that came to mind include: "The Freedom Guard"

"The Paragons"

"The Pact" ,originally called the cornier 'Power Pact' (no relation to the lovable Power Pack of Marvel), but later shortened. Thus dubbed because "We've made a pact to use our powers for the betterment of all mankind."

Maybe "Fairchild". So long as it is no where near the air force bace of the same name. Any name with 'child' could work for a mutant/paranormal friendly city.

Maybe "Newhome" or 'Newhome Valley / Springs' The addition of the valley or springs gives a remote flavor even if we are talking about a suburb. Ex Palm Springs.

Any clue where in the US the City will be? Coastal or inland. East of the Miss or West Which side of the Mason-Dixon line? Blue or Red state? :7)

Okay, actually, a variation on this sounds ideal to me

"Cape Haven"

Dual meanings. :) Thanks.

Cool i can even see the name becoming an insult in the para-human community. 'You belong in Cape Haven' meaning you are not tough or smart enough to function in a real city. 'Capies' or 'Cape boys/brats/children' could also rise as an insult.

Cool i can even see the name becoming an insult in the para-human community. 'You belong in Cape Haven' meaning you are not tough or smart enough to function in a real city. 'Capies' or 'Cape boys/brats/children' could also rise as an insult.

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all... or I'll haymaker your #$$!" :P

Also could be named after one of their fallen comrades. If in their storyline there's a team memeber who died before they retired it might be a nice tribute.

I picture a lot of buildings and monuments in the town being dedicated to super heroes of the team and their allies.

Well' date=' I'm probably going with Cape Haven, so coastal seems most likely. I am however open on suggestions. I'm leaning towards the East Coast, but it's hardly set in stone.[/quote']

For some reson I see rust belt or New England. Plenty of cheap land/ small towns needing revitalization and it's close enough to NY and DC. The retired supers may not be in the game any more but they might have wanted good seats to watch it from.

Or if they wanted to get away from pressures then maybe Oregon/Northern California. Actually Cape Haven Texas might even have a ring to it. If you put the city on the south or east coasts the name could refer to Pirates or ship-breakers and predate the arrival of the heroes.