Making Inexpensive 3D Maps [graphics intensive]

Super Squirrel

I apologize for the fact that there are 9 large photos to this post. But it is worth it, trust me. Also I would like to extend a thanks to Blue. Blue posted about this massive castle his GM made out of Styrofoam and Velcro. That inspired me to do this.

This thread is about how you can cheaply make impressive looking battle maps.

Step 1: Buy Styrofoam or Foam Padding.

I found a block of foam padding that was roughly 7" by 7" by 20" at the local fabric store. It was for $0.75 as the picture shows. I paid someone there an extra $0.25 to cut it into five blocks of 3" tall and one block of 5" tall. Some of the pieces can be seen in this picture.

step1.jpg

Step 2: Recycle a Morton Salt Container

You already have salt, just keep the next carton instead of throwing it out. Recycling is free.

step2.jpg

Step 3: Recycle Chopsticks and Cut Container

Save two sets of chopsticks from the next time you eat Chinese. Take a knife (I used an Exacto knife) and cut the bottom of the can off. Then cut the center ring. Throw out any left over salt that you have. I point out that after 3 steps you have only spent $1.00 on this project.

step3.jpg

Step 4: Building the Watertower

Start with the ring. I used a double sided velcro that is for sale at my wife's work. This roll cost $5.00 though you could just use electrical tape. I used very little velcro so the entire strip cost me about $0.25 to use. Hook up all four chopsticks and then slide the bottom from the Morton Salt Container on top. You now have a watertower.

step4.jpg

Step 5: Velcro Velcro Velcro

First take a piece of poster board for $0.86 and cut a piece 8 1/2" by 11". Stick it in your printer and find a free sheet of hex paper online. 1.1" spacing is prefered. Print it out.

Next you will need sticky contact velcro. I bought this at my wife's work for $3.00 and it provided enough for the water tower, and two buildings. Put the fuzzy side of the velcro on the underside of your hex poster board cut to the shape of the roof of your building. Put the grabby side of the velcro on the foam roof of the building. Remember to be careful if you ever remove the roof. Stick it on, like so and you have a roof for units to stand on.

step5.jpg

Step 6: Give the Buildings Flavor

Draw a front design to the building. Make it long enough that you can fold the sides in and velcro the front to the side of the building. I put some velcro down by where the door is as well to help hold it solid. The color isn't very clear in this picture but you get the idea.

step6.jpg

Step 7: Finish It Up

I added some hexes to the top of the water tower and the middle ring. I took my shrinky dink Viper agents and set them up on the watertower. I pulled out The Greek from my storage bin and placed her on top of Jim's Gems. And here are the representations of the final project. The entire project cost under $10.00 and I still have enough supplies that I can make several more buildings.

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

Re: Making Inexpensive 3D Maps [graphics intensive]

I've gotta say that Killer Shrike is right, its pretty cool. But if I were to do it, I'd go ahead and spend the $20-$30 to do it the way the guys at my local gaming store, Clark's Trading, do. Jeremy (whene he was there) and Arthur do an amazing job when creating warhammer battlefields, BloodBowl arenas, or gaming maps.

I plan on switching to styrofoam once I have money to get or make a hot knife but for now, this is a dirt cheap way to make something quick. I think I have enough supplies to make about five more buildings once I pick up another strip of adhesive velcro tape.

Oh common guys. :)
"Common guys"? Who you callin' common? ;)

Seriously, I'm quite impressed. Almost beyond words, in fact. If you'd pulled a Jon Layman [re: Trading Spaces] and made it look realistic I would have been totally floored -- but even that doesn't detract from the cleverness and creativity you've demonstrated.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

"Common guys"? Who you callin' common? ;)

Seriously, I'm quite impressed. Almost beyond words, in fact. If you'd pulled a Jon Layman [re: Trading Spaces] and made it look realistic I would have been totally floored -- but even that doesn't detract from the cleverness and creativity you've demonstrated.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I editted my post. I hate it when I do that. :)

I'm good ways from ever being on trading spaces but I may work on the water tower to make it look cool. I was realizing I could wrap something around the top of the watertower and have it connect to the ring and "hide" units. I'll probably work on that later at some point.

Guest rbezold

Dude! You rule!! :hail: Do more!!

I've been wanting to do something like this for years, but didn't know how to do it. Seriously, if you could manage to put a book together on this subject, I would not hesitate to buy it.

In fact, would anyone like to put a poll together to see if there is a market for this?

A hot knife, from what I understand, is a wire that is heated up so that it slides right through styrofoam. I tried cutting some styrofoam with just an exacto knife and I can say that that was a tough challange. The heat makes a world of difference and until I get one, I'm working with just padding foam.

I saw a demo of a hot knife at GenCon and were I into 3D models that would be the way to go. It's fast, you can paint if you want, and you can get some really good stuff very quickly.

I do all my maps on the computer and then play them out using Klooge. Stateful (can save the combat anytime and start up again later), Attractive (computer maps, even simple ones are clear and can be as large as you want), Scalable (fight over hundreds of hexes with ease), and Compact (only as big as your display).

Another advantage: conventions. I can do all my prep work, set up every map, and then hit the ground running. I travel with a laptop and a 15" LCD screen I set up on the table. Certainly more expensive than a hot knife, but I can use them for other things besides Champions as well.

I have discovered one problem. If you notice how Jim's Gems curves in the picture. It was starting to pull up the velcro on the foam side because it was on too tight. I'm going to see what I can do to make the front stick better but for now, I'm not sure what to try.

Cool props SS!

I do something which may or may not be simpler, and may or may not be cheaper.

Yep, you guessed it. LEGOS!

Lucky for me, I have an 8 year old son. All the Legos I buy myself are too custom for using as props (well, unless I need a giant robot, then I can use Bionicles :)). With Jacob's (my son) Legos (and some K'nects) I've made walls, fences, buildings, tanks, mailboxes, lampposts and telephone poles and a number of other various props to use on a battlemat. The only problem Ive ever run into is when he wants to play with them while we're gaming. But that's okay. I'm planing on getting him a PS2 for Christmas this year. More Legos for me!

SuperS: use heaver paper, something that is more rigid when you fold it. That way it will have its own stability.

You might also consider foam core. You can cut it easy and it would be easy just to use pushpins to attach the paper to it. So, using your block as a central piece, glue 4 pieces of foam core to it. Then you can stick whatever you want to on each side.

Either that or switch to hyperdense foam and bypass the velcro altogether, just using a pushpin to attach the paper.

I first ran accross the hot knife years ago as our local gaming shop also carried some model railroading stuff, and they used one a lot for building terrain for railroad layouts.

other ideas for buildings and materials.

theres a foam core poster board with white fronting and backing, not sure on cost, my last job generated a lot of scrap of it, and I was able to scavenge all the scrap I wanted, it cuts easily, no residue to worry about, and we've used it to build all kinds of things.

I am still kicking myself on this one, on another job we were grinding up sheets of high impact polystyrene for recycling. and when the project ended, we pretty much sent 2,000 4*6 foot 1/8" sheets to a landfill, we took all we could find space for.. and now of course we've used all of it, and cant get more. it was thin enough to cut with a papercutter.

There are plenty of sites for terrain building and such, and old issues of White Dwarf and Minature Wargames are really useful.

SuperS: use heaver paper' date=' something that is more rigid when you fold it. That way it will have its own stability.[/quote']Actually, the problem was that I hadn't folded the paper well enough. I folded it a couple times out and back in so that it remained when left untouched.

For the next building, instead of only giving an inch folded in, I'm giving it about four inches. Plus I found the side the was the most square and used the longest dimension (the bottom half was about 1 cm wider than the top) to determine the fold. So it will be fastend further back, better shaped and properly folded. I just need to design the front and I can have something up.

I also took some standard printer paper, make a cylinder and hung on the top of the water tower. You can't see grid paper on the middle ring anymore and it looks more like water tower.

When I finish the new building, I'll put some pictures up.

Actually' date=' the problem was that I hadn't folded the paper well enough. I folded it a couple times out and back in so that it remained when left untouched.[/quote']

Paper will hold a fold very well if you lightly score the OUTER edge of the fold. This reduces the desire of the paper to straighten out. I use the backside of an exacto knife blade and run it along a steel rule.

Keith "I'll have to see if I can dig up some of the buildings I did for Savage Earth." Curtis

Ooooh. Nice trick. I'll try that next.

Regarding my buildings. I finished a nice setup and setup my game for tommorrow. I tossed some VIPER agents on it to make it look really impressive. However, my roommate took his camera to work with him so I won't get a picture until tommorrow.