Enterprise vs. Enterprise

Asperion

Here is a good problem for everyone. In Star Trek Q decides to test which version of the Enterprise is the best version. As a result he grabs the TOS Enterprise and the TNG Enterprise and puts them into a nether realm telling both of them that they must fight each other. They can use whatever means is available to them on the ship according to the official write-up, cannot get aid from any other ship or source. The winner will be granted one wish that they desire. So whom will be the victor? Please state why your choice will end up victorious.

Re: Enterprise vs. Enterprise

They'd refuse to fight eachother, and, with the cooperation of the writers, come up with some way of getting back to their respective times.

If they actually DID fight, it would depend on which set of writers came out on top in the studio fight. TOS would win if their writers did (Kirk would do something 'clever' and beat the tech disadvantage) or TNG would win if their writers did (TNG crew says something condescending, smirks, and whallops the TOS Enterprise with their higher tech)

The Enterprise-D would use its vastly higher tech to disable the Enterprise in some way. The Enterprise would then do something tricky to the Enterprise-D to even the score. When Q returned, gleeful that they disabled each other's ships, we would learn that...

• Kirk and Picard had secretly been working together all along, and they had simply been playing along with Q's game to stall for time while...
  • Spock, Scotty, Data, and LaForge figured a way out of the situation, and...
  • McCoy and Crusher ranted and raved about the human cost, and...
  • Chekov and Worf blustered about attacking something, and...
  • Uhura & Riker and Sulu & Troi paired off romantically for the subplot, since they didn't have anything better to do in this episode.

:D

... they must fight each other. They can use whatever means is available to them on the ship according to the official write-up' date=' cannot get aid from any other ship or source. ...[/quote']

I can see a couple of interesting options:

If the specific wording does not specify that the ships must do damage to one another, but that one must best the other, either Picard or Spock would think to have the two ship's computers play 3D-chess against each other (with a display on the main viewer for all to see). The 1701-D would probably win, being a more advanced computer.

If the wording does say that the ships must damage one another, simply make it a contest to "first blood" -- say, first damaging hit that gets through shields. Or have them use some standard Starfleet training protocol. Again, the 1701-D would have the advantage -- newer technology, newer tactics, newer technobabble.

In either case, while deciding on the terms, the two captains agree upon the wish to be asked -- to return both of them to their rightful places in time and space and have Q never again interfere with any race or individual in the universe (which he will of course find a loophole in somehow).

I can see a couple of interesting options:

In either case, while deciding on the terms, the two captains agree upon the wish to be asked -- to return both of them to their rightful places in time and space and have Q never again interfere with any race or individual in the universe (which he will of course find a loophole in somehow).

Well technically that is two wishes. The first wish would be to restore the time continium. The second wish would be for Q to not meddle in the universe. When he had Picard captured, and they were going through Picard's question, Picard worded in a similiar fashion as your wish. Q counted it as two questions...

Well technically that is two wishes.

Yes, you are correct. The word "and" kind of gives it away.

Maybe they could come up with a way that it didn't sound like two wishes. Like if they used that one language from that one planet where they only spoke in references to past events ("{name} and Picard at Tenagra" -- or something like that). Sadly, I am not nearly geeky enough to remember episode numbers or stardates.

Between Spock and Data (and Barkley and a Holodeck program of Mark Okrand), I bet they could come up with something.

Here is my take on this question:

The TOS Enterprise would have an advantage over the Enterprise-D. This is because the TOS Enterprise was built around the idea that they would expolore unknown space. As a result a huge portion of the ship was geared toward combat. While the Enterprise-D has newer tech which allows them to fire their phasers with less energy per shot, the TOS Enterprise is more compact and presents a smaller, more manuverable target. Therefore the TOS Enterprise would win and they would use their wish to send everyone back to a time before all the infighting. :saturn:

Yes, you are correct. The word "and" kind of gives it away.

Maybe they could come up with a way that it didn't sound like two wishes. Like if they used that one language from that one planet where they only spoke in references to past events ("{name} and Picard at Tenagra" -- or something like that). Sadly, I am not nearly geeky enough to remember episode numbers or stardates.

Between Spock and Data (and Barkley and a Holodeck program of Mark Okrand), I bet they could come up with something.

'Darmok'

"Shaka when the walls fell"

My geek-fu is strong :)

TOS Enterprise wins. Sure, the D is higher tech (E is even higher still), but TOS has the advantage of having poorer continuity. Hence, its weapons were as powerful as need be for the episode at hand, its shields could withstand anything they really had to. Their drive could get them anywhere they needed - even well outside the Federation in a matter of hours. And the crew? They could change the universe at a whim simply by speaking.

"But there's no way we can see through a cloak, Captain!"

"There must be some way, Scotty!"

"Well, Captain, there is one thing..."

TOS Enterprise wins.

When its Enterprise vs. Enterprise, everyone loses.

No way. Enterprise D would completely win. TOS Enterprise's sensors were so slow, you could practically be cloaked by moving clockwise quickly out of a sensor sweep. While TNG Enterprise could almost always tell when an intruder appeared, on TOS, people would sneak aboard and not even be noticed as long as they wore a standard uniform and said, "I transfer recently."

Except for the fact that Captain Kirk never loses....ever. He completely cheats, and rewrites the rules. His crew consists of a doctor that can cure anything short of natural causes, a science officer that rewrites entire scientific theory, and an engineer who can cross-circuit practically anything to anything else to juryrig something. While, I'm sorry to say, TNG Enterprise has mere mortals that require a Betazoid to cry on when they get a boo-boo. "Tell me, how does it feel to have a stubbed toe?"

Sadly the episode ends when Picard explains to Q that humans are no longer barbaric, that they have simply have no need for conflict, plot or a villian. Q smirks and shows Captain Kirk and Deanna having a private counselling session while Worf threatens to disenbowel Kirk for being dishonorable. "Seems you have much to learn about yourselves", Q words echo as he disappears in a flash of light.

TOS Enterprise wins. Sure, the D is higher tech (E is even higher still), but TOS has the advantage of having poorer continuity. Hence, its weapons were as powerful as need be for the episode at hand, its shields could withstand anything they really had to. Their drive could get them anywhere they needed - even well outside the Federation in a matter of hours. And the crew? They could change the universe at a whim simply by speaking.

"But there's no way we can see through a cloak, Captain!"

"There must be some way, Scotty!"

"Well, Captain, there is one thing..."

TOS Enterprise wins.

You make a good point, but you forgot the biggest continuity hole ever created in any ST series: Wesley Crusher. Depending upon what point in the series the encounter happens, Mr. Crusher is somewhere between "misunderstood boy genius who understands astrophysics and the ship better than any adult on it" and "angsty misunderstood galaxy-hopping traveller that can transcend time and space on a whim." He can think in directions that Data and Spock cannot even imagine, reverse the polarity of anything on the ship -- ANYTHING -- and make all of the adults around him look like close-minded, age-bigoted dolts without even trying.

If Wesley is available (or can be called upon -- he did make it to Riker and Deanna's wedding, although where they sent the invitation I'll never know), then the D wins by continuity overtrump.

:)

DISCLAIMER: This is talking about the character of Wesley Crusher as written in the series, not the actor that played him. I have nothing against Wil Wheaton. I read WWDN, too.

IMHO I think the TOS Enterprise would win simply because while Picard is trying to negotiate some solution to the problem' date=' Kirk would be blowing the Enterprise-D's tail off[/quote']

I have to go with this one. All the high tech in the world don't mean jack if your captain is too willing to negotiate. Kirk is used to being out numbered, out gunned, on his own, and having far fewer resources to draw on than Picard.

[Of course, if they painted Troi green and sent her over, Kirk might be distracted enough for Picard to win.]

And, while Patrick Stewart is a Yorkshireman, Jean Luc Picard is a Frenchman. (If I remeber right, Shatner is Canadian, while Kirk is from Iowa.) The Enterprise D comes from a more "enlightened" time.

I think the TOS would send over a boarding party, and that would pretty much be that. Outside of Warf and Data, the TNG crew were fat, old, sissies, or civilians. (OK Picard had his moments, but he was still old and liked to negotiate.)

The TOS crew were all fighters. Kirk, Spock, Chekov, and Sulu were all bad men. Hell even Bones threw down from time to time. Riker? Please. ;)