West Coast Sourcebook

zakueins

Re: West Coast Sourcebook

Probably somewhere down the pike, it'll appear.

In the meantime, you could try the old Bay City sourcebook. Found on Ebay and I still see it in the used section of gaming stores. It has the Fuzion stigma attached to it, but I always thought it was very useful.

Eh....not a big fan of Bay City in particular (I have it, and it doesn't feel like SF in any way....).

Need more of the odd San Francisco feel. Should write it. :)

Probably somewhere down the pike, it'll appear.

In the meantime, you could try the old Bay City sourcebook. Found on Ebay and I still see it in the used section of gaming stores. It has the Fuzion stigma attached to it, but I always thought it was very useful.

Then...we'll set it in San Francisco! More than enough strange stuff to see and do....and that's just Downtown. :)

No way' date=' don't you know about The Curse? Comic books set in LA always fail! It only makes sense that comic book related gaming products set in LA would fail as well.[/quote']

Ok, well my favorite game book regardless of system, is the Seatle Sourcebook. I love the fact that it's fully based on a real city, and uses the name of that city and it's general map. I also like the tons of atmosphere and ideas they present *without* having to list them in a section labeled "plot seeds."

It's a little something that's been bugging me about the rpg game industry in general. Don't tell me, show me.

Also, make sure there's some general info on the rest of the Bay Area. Marin, Oakland and Berkeley in particular, but you should also mention every other Bay Area city and county, and maybe a few more in the general area too. Oh don't forget to discus the bay itself too.

My 2 nuyen.

The idea is that it'd be a VIPER-sized book, with San Francisco taking up the majority, but the rest of the Bay Area getting a report (including the Napa and Silicon Valley area). Oh, and plenty of heroes, villans, and weird things....

Ok, well my favorite game book regardless of system, is the Seatle Sourcebook. I love the fact that it's fully based on a real city, and uses the name of that city and it's general map. I also like the tons of atmosphere and ideas they present *without* having to list them in a section labeled "plot seeds."

It's a little something that's been bugging me about the rpg game industry in general. Don't tell me, show me.

Also, make sure there's some general info on the rest of the Bay Area. Marin, Oakland and Berkeley in particular, but you should also mention every other Bay Area city and county, and maybe a few more in the general area too. Oh don't forget to discus the bay itself too.

My 2 nuyen.

The idea is that it'd be a VIPER-sized book' date=' with San Francisco taking up the majority, but the rest of the Bay Area getting a report (including the Napa and Silicon Valley area). Oh, and plenty of heroes, villans, and weird things....[/quote']

I always wanted to do a "Champions Of The Rising Sun" book myself. Prehaps after both Champions Worldwide and the Hero System Oriental Beastrie...

Lived my entire life in the Bay Area. Work in San Francisco, too.

Just curious' date=' do you live in the Bay Area? I grew up in Napa, and I've lived there most of my live. I'm in the process of moving back there. If you want a technical consultant, I'll be around.[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that'll be interesting about San Francisco is two of the heros-the Spirt of San Francisco and Mr. Mad.

The Spirit of San Francisco has always been around, in a sense. It was what gave Emperor Norton I the protection needed to give San Francisco it's reputation. It protected parts of the city so that they could grow into true communites-the Castro, Haight St, Nob Hill, Russian Hill.... Now, it's avatar walks the street-a lovely woman whom can be anywhere where the City touches (she can leave the city-but when she dies, she always reappears back in City Hall), but knows everything....

Mr. Mad was born in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake-when some buildings fell in the Marina district...one of them was a DEMON sacrifice site. The crushed body of DEMON worshippers and the botched sacrifice summoned a vengence spirit...that fused and was stuck to the sacrifice. Now, if Mr. Mad can kill 1,000 truly evil beings, he'll have the power to destroy DEMON forever...if the hero's don't have a problem with a mystical vigilante (whom has the Sense True Evil) whom disembowels people...just to begin with.

I'd like to see the Protectors (From to Serve and Protect) be brought into the Champions universe... There are a couple reasons

1) There aren't any biggish groups in the CU proper... JLA size groups are a staple of comic books (DC more than Marvel I suppose) and the 12 Protectors were pretty cool.

2) They were an excellent example of a well rounded group with good teamwork. I used them just as it was suggested in the book... To show that a lower powered group with teamwork could pound the uncoordinated PCs into the ground

3) I really liked the group... I thought there were some cool characters with some cool histories in there and they'd make a nice centerpiece for a West Coast Sourcebook.

Well cool, sounds like you have everything covered. Keep posting becuase I'm sure we'd all love to see where this goes (I know I would). :)

I'd like to see some less mystical supers myself. With all the high-tech here, and Livermore Labs, you'd think that tech, gadget, and radioactive supers would be all the rage. (Doesn't stanford still have a working reactor? And I thought Berkeley did too...) The spirit of san francisco idea is really interesting (esp. the connection to emperor norton, which is cool), but I like supers that punch evil in the face. TSoSF for me would be a ghostly plot device, used to explain the unexplainable, but seldom interacted with by PC heroes.

Let's not forget that the Loma Prieta earthquake also knocked down that horrible embarkadero freeway. I can't say it was all bad. Maybe it was DEMON, maybe some brick hero just got tired of the crappy thing....

Already working on them....

I'd like to see the Protectors (From to Serve and Protect) be brought into the Champions universe... There are a couple reasons

1) There aren't any biggish groups in the CU proper... JLA size groups are a staple of comic books (DC more than Marvel I suppose) and the 12 Protectors were pretty cool.

2) They were an excellent example of a well rounded group with good teamwork. I used them just as it was suggested in the book... To show that a lower powered group with teamwork could pound the uncoordinated PCs into the ground

3) I really liked the group... I thought there were some cool characters with some cool histories in there and they'd make a nice centerpiece for a West Coast Sourcebook.

I'm trying to keep it a mix of about 30% mystic, 30% tech, 30% mutant, and 10% everything else....

The Spirt of San Francisco actually exists (game-wise)-she has her own morning talkshow. ;-) There's always been a Spirt...the last one died during Lorma Prieta, a rough-and-tumble man of some power...now it's a woman.

Well cool, sounds like you have everything covered. Keep posting becuase I'm sure we'd all love to see where this goes (I know I would). :)

I'd like to see some less mystical supers myself. With all the high-tech here, and Livermore Labs, you'd think that tech, gadget, and radioactive supers would be all the rage. (Doesn't stanford still have a working reactor? And I thought Berkeley did too...) The spirit of san francisco idea is really interesting (esp. the connection to emperor norton, which is cool), but I like supers that punch evil in the face. TSoSF for me would be a ghostly plot device, used to explain the unexplainable, but seldom interacted with by PC heroes.

Let's not forget that the Loma Prieta earthquake also knocked down that horrible embarkadero freeway. I can't say it was all bad. Maybe it was DEMON, maybe some brick hero just got tired of the crappy thing....

There used to be a whole Nike/Ajax site on Angel Island....VERY unoffically it's the storage location of Guardian-S1, the starship of the Bay Guardians....

Well' date=' there's all the forts, tunnels, missile silos on the coast that make excellent death traps, I mean bases for heroes & villians.[/quote']