West Coast Sourcebook

zakueins

Re: West Coast Sourcebook

There used to be a whole Nike/Ajax site on Angel Island....VERY unoffically it's the storage location of Guardian-S1' date=' the starship of the Bay Guardians....[/quote']

I grew up on Mt. Tam and went to school at UCSC. One of the Hero groups I ran had their base at the ex-Air Force station near the Tam summit.

The Marin headlands have quite a few more bunkers and the like. I kind of like the idea of some master plan dealing with Treasure Island being built over something in the 30s...

Alcatraz as Stronghold West Coast was a staple of many of my early Champions games, but having visited the island last March I can say that the National Park system in California is in serious financial trouble. If they needed to lease the island to the Dept of Superhuman Affairs for financial reasons you might get more than a few bay area historical societies, wildlife preservists (one type of Seagull only hatches on that island) and the tourism board up in arms. Maybe if the right villain caused enough damage or commited a high-profile enough crime, the case could be made to garner public support.

If one wanted to use the island that way in a sourcebook however, as long as these issues are dealt with and "explained", then I would see no problem with Stronghold: Alcatraz. You will always have people who say this explanation or the other doesn't make sense or would never happen, but if those people can suspend their disbelief enough to accept comic book physics and radiation accidents, then a former prison returning to its former use shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I'd like to see the Protectors (From to Serve and Protect) be brought into the Champions universe... There are a couple reasons

1) There aren't any biggish groups in the CU proper... JLA size groups are a staple of comic books (DC more than Marvel I suppose) and the 12 Protectors were pretty cool.

2) ...a well rounded group with good teamwork. I used them just as it was suggested in the book... To show that a lower powered group with teamwork could pound the uncoordinated PCs into the ground

3) ...they'd make a nice centerpiece for a West Coast Sourcebook.

Oh, yes. By all means. I'd love that as well.

I won't go into the sad story of the ill-fated Champions By the Bay — the manuscript that was about 75% finished but never completed or published due to the struggles with I.C.E. way back when... But suffice to say that I totally agree that a San Francisco sourcebook would be a lot of fun for Champions. Or, if not an explicitly Bay Area write-up, then a fictional west coast city with a distinctively different feel from the new Detroit -- less tech, more quirky, hills and cable cars, a big bridge, piers, etc.

And, of course, I'd love to see an updated version of the Protectors in the official universe, if there were ever such a need. Of course, you'd have to have a compelling angle that would inspire most people to actually buy the book. Using the "heroes turned villains" cliche, such as To Serve & Protect, works, though it's admittedly an overused gimmick. Another possibility is to actually expand the team with more members representing the various "niche" superhero roles, allowing the characters to become instant templates for newer players. If you think about it, the existing team was intentionally designed to provide diversity and hooks (much like the Champions team from the BBB and later the 5E). Some of the origins were shifted a bit for publication, but the actual campaign versions worked well.

• Quasar -- Flying energy projector; moral innocence; alien background
  • Warlock (Dr. Wraithe) -- Magician; diverse powers; spooky/WWII background
  • Huntsman -- Rich archer with gadgets and training; corporate background
  • Brainstorm -- Mentalist; unstable/still learning; urban background
  • Doc Sonic -- Powered armor; pacifist; science background
  • Helios -- Fire based character; hothead (no pun); mythology background
  • Mandroid -- Cyborg; melancholy, reluctant; military background
  • Maelstrom -- Weather powers; older, wiser; educational institution background
  • Ace -- Martial Artist; psychological instability (developed a split personality in the campaign); oriental background
  • Renegade -- Super enhanced everything; lots of angst; patriotic background

You could easily add a couple of comic book archtypes that are missing, of course -- a speedster, an Aquaman/Submariner type character, a magnetics-based telekinetic, etc. And then there are the fringe archtypes like ice-based or darkness based, or backgrounds like interdimensional or from the future.

Give a GM a plausible reason to select which characters to include on the team, provide both starting and high-end stats for the characters, offer both heroic and villainous options in the background, give lots of examples of tactics, give 'em a good example superhero base and maybe a vehicle or two, throw in write-ups for all their various hunteds, enemies, and related NPCs, and I think you'd have the start of a good resource book.

However, the thing to remember is that most Champions GMs really enjoy crafting a world with their own unique style. The danger of NPC hero groups is that they will overshadow the "stars" of the campaign (which is why having the good guys turn into bad guys, and perhaps even keeping them that way so that the "stars" can show how they are really the more heroic centerpieces, actually works). And, frankly, how many settings do we need published for Champions? Banks, bridges, bases, a city park, an amusement park, a haunted house, a library, a courthouse, a prison, a shopping mall, a warehouse, a shipyard,... These all become kind of generic locations; you can use the same template over and over, and just relocate it to whatever city is the focus of your campaign. Once they've been published, you don't need to publish another one (in actual gameplay, how different is San Francisco's Golden Gate Park from New York's Central Park, after all?).

In any case, I think a west coast city book would be fun, and I think it would be a kick to see the Protectors hit print again for a new generation. But, of course, I am highly biased in all of this... :snicker:

In any case' date=' I think a west coast city book would be fun, and I think it would be a kick to see the Protectors hit print again for a new generation. But, of course, I am highly biased in all of this... [/quote']

I'm just curious Scott but why don't you just publish it yourself? Hero Games has decided to follow their Champions Universe outline for Champions material, and there's nothing wrong with that, but there certainly seems to be demand for other people's material and ideas. I would think publishing Heroes By the Bay yourself would make for an excellent product. Granted it would be a pdf book but there are still options to self-print such as lulu.com.

I think there is a lot of potential writing talent within the Champions gaming community; especially from authors who published pre-5E books. Hero Games' license fees and terms don't seem to be too difficult to deal with. There is a market available even if Gold Rush Games could not find it themselves for their San Angelo line. Self-publishing and printing through lulu.com seems like a route that more Champions writers should be looking into.

I'd love to see an updated Protectors even though it would not be part of the official Champions Universe. I'm sure you have a few other ideas you wouldn't mind seeing published either. You don't need to wait for Hero Games to do it. Just something to think about.

Alcatraz as Stronghold West Coast was a staple of many of my early Champions games' date=' but having visited the island last March I can say that the National Park system in California is in serious financial trouble.[/quote']

Well, not sure which part you're talking about, but the location has a lot to do with how the prison structure is falling apart. That sea air is really bad for whatever they built the buildings with.

Going off of memory here, so i could be wrong.

Stanford doesn't have a 'reactor' it has a Linear Accelerator.

SLAC, Stanford Linear ACcelerator. It is a great source for

atomic/quantum origins.

I thought stanford also had an actual, no-joke, small reactor for students in the power-generation/nuclear type programs, but I could be wrong.

I thought stanford also had an actual' date=' no-joke, small reactor for students in the power-generation/nuclear type programs, but I could be wrong.[/quote']

Unless it is very, very small, and very accessable, all they have is the Linear Accelerator. ( Related, but not the same )

I did a few searches on "research reactors" and lots of pages mention SLAC, but not a reactor on campus.

Ooooh, reactor accident....fun. I see a hero/villan origin!

Unless it is very, very small, and very accessable, all they have is the Linear Accelerator. ( Related, but not the same )

I did a few searches on "research reactors" and lots of pages mention SLAC, but not a reactor on campus.

In any case' date=' I think a west coast city book would be fun, and I think it would be a kick to see the Protectors hit print again for a new generation. But, of course, I am [i']highly[/i] biased in all of this... :snicker:

I agree with others in that you should do this. I'm curious if you ever finished updating the Protectors images and giving more background info on them. I believe you got about halfway through and that's the last I saw of them.

Perhaps I missed it, but don't people have their campaign info (where applicable) on these West Coast cities to share here that might be of use until any official products come out? I've seen many campaigns with great local histories, characters, and other setting info. I published a fairly decent amount on Detroit when I set a campaign there. I don't know of any SF/LA settings, but there MUST be some out there. Anyone care to post refs?

• 1 month later...

Miss San Francisco

Player:

Val Char Cost
60 STR 20
21 DEX 33
30 CON 40
30 BODY 40
20 INT 10
17 EGO 14
30 PRE 0
20 COM 5
12/22 PD 0
12/22 ED 6
5 SPD 19
18 REC 0
60 END 0
75 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM012" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 187

Cost Power END
24 Armored Uniform: Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) 0
10 The City's Champion: Damage Resistance (12 PD/12 ED) (12 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only When Within San Francisco; -1/4) 0
12 The Will Of The City: Mental Damage Reduction, 25% (15 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only Within San Francisco; -1/4) 0
33 The Heartbeat Of The City: Clairsentience (Sight, Smell/Taste And Touch Groups, Danger Sense And Normal Hearing) (50 Active Points); Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only Within Or Occuring Within San Francisco; -1/4) 5
12 The Sinews Of The City: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only Within San Francisco; -1/4) 0
12 The Heart Of The City: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only WIthin San Francisco; -1/4) 0
16 The Spirit Of The City: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only When Within San Francisco; -1/4)
18 The Heart Of The City: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only When Within San Francisco; -1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) 3
24 Beat Out The Flames: Dispel Fire 6d6, Area Of Effect (5" Cone; +1) (36 Active Points); Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2) 4
5 Nifty Sunglasses!: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points), Hardened (+1/4) (12 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4) 0
45 The Wings Of The City: Flight 18", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (45 Active Points) 2
34 The City's Heart: Healing BODY 2d6, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only When Within San Francisco; -1/4) 0
49 LS (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) 0
10 Luck 2d6 0
15 Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) 0
5 Power Defense (5 points) 0
24 Walk The City: Teleportation 10", x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat (30 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only Within San Francisco; -1/4) 3
16 Evil: Detect A Large Class Of Things 14- (Sight Group), Discriminatory 0
5 IR Perception (Sight Group) 0
5 Nightvision 0
Powers Cost: 374

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 75 STR vs. Grabs
4 Reversal: var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, 75 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 +v/5, Target Falls
3 Sacrifice Throw: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +1 DCV, 12d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls
4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 16d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 14d6 Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 30

Cost Skill
7 Acrobatics 15-
3 Acting 15-
3 Animal Handler 15-
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Bribery 15-
3 Bureaucratics 15-
15 +3 with HTH Combat
7 Computer Programming 15-
3 Conversation 15-
5 Defense Maneuver I-II
7 Disguise 15-
5 High Society 16-
12 AK: San Francisco 21-
12 CuK: San Francisco Cultural Scene 21-
12 KS: San Francisco History 21-
6 KS: Wrestling 15-
7 Lipreading 15-
15 Navigation 21- (19 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only Within San Francisco; -1/4)
3 Persuasion 15-
3 Seduction 15-
7 Sleight Of Hand 15-
7 Stealth 15-
3 Streetwise 15-
3 Teamwork 13-
Skills Cost: 154

Cost Perk
3 Reputation: Very Good (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6
5 Money: Well Off
Perks Cost: 8

Cost Talent
16 Universal Translator 13- (20 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Only if somone that speaks the language is in San Francisco; -1/4)
9 Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)
3 Bump Of Direction
3 Absolute Time Sense
37 Danger Sense (general area, any danger) 15-
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Perfect Pitch
Talents Cost: 76

Total Character Cost: 829

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Intricate And Facinating Tattoos (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
25 Hunted: DEMON 11- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: Eurostar 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
15 Psychological Limitation: Believes That She Has Always Been Miss San Francisco (Uncommon, Total)
25 Social Limitation: Public ID (Very Frequently, Severe)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Kelvenite (Uncommon)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Kelvenite (Uncommon)
15 Reputation: The Personification of San Francisco, 14-
20 Psychological Limitation: Flaming, Flaunting Bisexual (Common, Total)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 479

Total Experience Available: 479

Experience Unspent: 0

I'd also love to see a west coast source book specifically San Francisco. Its my favourite city, second only to Paris. I would have to say though that i really liked the bay city sourcebook, i think it was a far superior book to san angelo, IMHO.

I'm only going by the fact that page for page, the bay city book inspired more scenario ideas than San Angelo, and it not only covered areas specific to San Francisco buy Oakland, Silicon valley and Berkley. The idea that it was all one massive city was a bit of a stretch though, and the entire city was served by the bart.

That niggle aside i still look back upon Baycity with great affection and stand by my statement of it being the one good thing in a dark dark time for champions.