The Incredibles -- WITH SPOILERS

Kristopher

Re: The Incredibles -- WITH SPOILERS

Yes' date=' but after the DVD comes out, that way I can get the full scoop on the characters.[/quote']

WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE DVD!?!??!? :weep:

I hate you Susano! I hate the bands you like!

:D Seriously, looking forward to it whenever you tackle it. I'm very much looking forward to the DVD.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am definitely thinking over 18' date=' 21 might be a good compromise I'm thinking about the way he prevented the guy from commiting suicide. [sNIP'] He just did not move as ponderously, as we generally expect Bricks to move.

I quite agree. He's extraordinarily agile. Absolutely.

An 18 DEX represents an Olympic gymnast. This is someone who, with the amount of STR demonstrated by Mr. I, could interrupt a fall by a SPD 2 normal (whose DCV is going to be pretty dismal). Especially since he definitely had some serious SLs and CSLs. In fact, Mr. Incredible is probably the best example of differentiating high DEX-SPD from high skill that I've seen on screen in a while.

I mean, it's your game, make the Mr. Incredible you want to play. If you're in Champsguy's game, then he absolutely better have a DEX of 24 in order to have a chance to do something before being knocked out in combat. I just would rather start from the bottom. In the old days, a DEX of 23 was average for an energy projector or such, while a 20 was more normal for a brick. Nowadays, I'd say it depends on the standards in the game.

Even though I don't like stat inflation, in this case I'd go with 21 to 23 (depending on the scale in the campaign) instead of 18, because at some point it gets rediculous buying up CSLs, extra levels on DEX skills, Lightning Reflexes, etc, etc, and it's simpler and cleaner to just buy DEX up a few points.

Just saw it tonight!

my takes on the film:

I loved it. It was way cool and I hope for many more.

Best Line? I liked Dash's giggle when he realized he was running on water... that was cool.

I liked Violet's transformation. She literally grew up before our eyes. It was cool

The Parents were competant, I know that 's not Disney talking...I've seen their Television Channel. Yay Pixar.

I loved Frozone and wished to see more of him.

We never really heard about supervillains except the BOMB guy...

and the mole guy at the end.

I took savage glee when Bob put his boss through those walls. If anything he was the greatest enemy Mr. Incredible faced :)

I liked the fact that Mr. I was really competant. I mean his first misssion back he showed some rust, but I worried we'd see more and more "bad back incidents" but they kept that to a minimum.

Cool powers, I liked how Violet used her force bubbles.

Jack Jack was amusing. And thankfully, not the "savior". All in all it was a compelling superhero story.

Note to self, limit used of the word "cool" I sound like a moron...

:rolleyes:

I quite agree. He's extraordinarily agile. Absolutely.

An 18 DEX represents an Olympic gymnast. This is someone who, with the amount of STR demonstrated by Mr. I, could interrupt a fall by a SPD 2 normal (whose DCV is going to be pretty dismal). Especially since he definitely had some serious SLs and CSLs. In fact, Mr. Incredible is probably the best example of differentiating high DEX-SPD from high skill that I've seen on screen in a while.

I mean, it's your game, make the Mr. Incredible you want to play. If you're in Champsguy's game, then he absolutely better have a DEX of 24 in order to have a chance to do something before being knocked out in combat. I just would rather start from the bottom. In the old days, a DEX of 23 was average for an energy projector or such, while a 20 was more normal for a brick. Nowadays, I'd say it depends on the standards in the game.

I've seen too many ordinary soldiers and mooks with 13 -14 DEX in HERO to be entirely happly with giving Mr. Incredible only an 18 DEX. A 20 would be reasonable, and I'd be comfortable building Mr. I with a 21 or 23 DEX. No higher than that, and he probably has at least a couple of CSLs on top of that (His extensive trophy and memorabilia room seems to indicate a relatively long career as a superhero; one doesn't become Superhero of the Year and appear on dozens of magazine covers overnight). If you think about it he very seldom missed anything he was trying to hit, from the falling suicide to the mooks at the front gate he clobbered with the monorail car and the flying bladecars used by the bad guys in the big fight in the clearing. SPD 4 seems about right. He'd be pretty easy to do with 250-300 CP.

I'd have given his wife a 23 - 26 DEX and several CSLs; she was clearly quite skilled with her powers. Elastgirl is probably as much martial artist as stretching character. Her I'd give a 5 SPD; she'd be harder to do with 250 points because shapeshifting is very expensive in HERO. So many obvious abilities have to be bought individually.

I took savage glee when Bob put his boss through those walls. If anything he was the greatest enemy Mr. Incredible faced :)

Oh, yeah, everbody loves to pick on us poor insurance people. Sometimes I wish we were as well respected as used car salesmen or medical malpractice lawyers. :weep:

Oh' date=' yeah, everbody [u']loves[/u] to pick on us poor insurance people. Sometimes I wish we were as well respected as used car salesmen or medical malpractice lawyers. :weep:
Hey, let's face it: The guy was scum. "How could you approve their claim?" "Their house was robbed! Their policy covers burglary!" He was a disgustig little troll who got what he'd earned (and Wallace Shawn was hilarious in the roll).

Hey' date=' let's face it: The guy was scum. "How could you approve their claim?" "Their house was robbed! Their policy covers burglary!" He was a disgustig little troll who got what he'd earned (and Wallace Shawn was hilarious in the roll).[/quote']

Listening to him rant about the stockholders and profits makes me wonder if Bird and the rest of the Pixar crew were engaging in a little sideways venting about their megacoroporate partner (Disney/ABC/ESPN/etc/etc/etc/etc).

Speaking of Benching locomotives, Jack's "workouts" (as a friend of mind pointed out) were a great example of the difficulty of superhuman logistics. How do you work out effectively when you can lift tons casually?

Gives a new meaning to "training regimen," doesn't it.

I've seen too many ordinary soldiers and mooks with 13 -14 DEX in HERO to be entirely happly with giving Mr. Incredible only an 18 DEX.

Hey, I agree with this as well. Which is why most soldiers and mooks in my game have a DEX of 11. I just put some elite mercenaries and legionnaires in my Harn Hero game, and gave them all a DEX of 12 to represent superior training.

Elastgirl is probably as much martial artist as stretching character. [sNIP] So many obvious abilities have to be bought individually.

If for nothing else, I will put this movie on a pedestal for finally making Stretching powers seem cool to kids.

If I statted out Elastigirl, I'd definitely give her a very decent Power Skill, and use that for her Manhole Cover Slingshot and Rubber Boat powers. I'd make her buy Gliding ("You parachuted last week! If you're going to use it every session, pay the points!").

Agree on the martial arts as the best way to simulate her observed combat abilities, albeit I'd be forced to declare them "Generic Comic Book Martial Arts" I think. Mr. I, on the other hand, definitely goes with the "Skill Level Martial Art".

Saw it this evening, good movie.

I thought the 15-year jump was a nod to the gap between the Golden and Silver ages, when comics were more romance, horror, westerns and war stories.

When "Buddy" was rocketing off with a bomb attached, I was expecting Mr. I to fall off, and Buddy to be presumed dead in an explosion, going back to the death of Bucky. Even more surprising then when he comes back years later.

Possible plot issue I had, though of course you could read dark motives into it...all these supers are in government-placed "protection", right? No one's going to notice when they start disappearing and maybe warn the others? Of course, I guess they didn't keep real close tabs, if Mr. I and Frozone were able to moonlight so freely.

Syndrome's ZPE field:

It has to be either this or NND Entangle -- after all, Violet got herself free by floating out in a force bubble. So she either power stunted some flight to free herself, or force field/wall was the defense against the NND.

I think that the field he emits from his guantlet is entirely different from the connections between the suspensor cuffs and their frame. The former would be Flight UAA, the other was an entangle whose SFX were such that Violet could use her Force Wall to interfere with it.

I think that the field he emits from his guantlet is entirely different from the connections between the suspensor cuffs and their frame. The former would be Flight UAA' date=' the other was an entangle whose SFX were such that Violet could use her Force Wall to interfere with it.[/quote']

I think the capture device was different from the ZPE. Mr. I could move and exert himself in the device. It just took effort and wasn't very effective. The ZPE seemed to be able to hold them all pretty much helpless and effortlessly so.

I think it's definitely a physical TK' date=' but with a RSR. Remember when he accidentally flung Mr. I away? "Brilliant."

An aside: Bob Parr was Mr. I. Jack Parr was the baby and the original host of the tonight show.

I think his str score might be just a tad higher than we're saying. Pulling that train was giving him a workout, but it wasn't a strain. Of course, we didn't see him get it started, which would have been the real test.

As to villains disappearing, I was thinking that the supervillains might see the banning of superheroes as a sign that the government wasn't screwing around anymore. If they got caught, they were going down hard to eliminate the presence of any supers. Just a thought.

Just to add on, I think it had limited range. Notice how he was always close by when he used it, and he didn't even try when someone was far away.

Someone brought up deaths - actually we just saw it again, when Mr. Incredible infiltrates the base, he just tosses out one guy to the side and it's on a side where he could have landed okay. The other guy went into the ocean and it wasn't a far drop. Even when the vehicle landed on those two guys, note one groans for a minute before dropping, showing he's definitely alive. The only time we do see him kill bad guys is when the family is together and he tosses one of those hovercrafts at the other.

On another note, just how tough is Violet's Force Wall? Notice how they fired right at it with those blasters and moreso when the last Omnidroid smashed down right on top of it.

I saw the movie yesterday and was very impressed by it. I think it was the best movie I have seen all year. The pacing was good, the plot was well done and the characters were well written and the voice actors did a great job.

As others have mentioned the way they protrayed Mr I and Elastigirl was good. I liked that Mr. I didn't fall into the standard brick category of always trying to hit something harder, he did tend to use his head in order to find the best way to apply his strength. Elastigirl's use of powers was amazing. That is how a stretching is supposed to be used. The family was well done, and it was a nice touch how the kids changed once they were able to actually learn about their powers and use them to their full potential.

So if there wasn't enough to gush about, the music and scenery were well done too. I am seriously thinking of picking up the soundtrack.

IMDB shows THE INCREDIBLES earned a solid 51 million this week to put it at a total of 144 million so far. That was more than twice as much as the number 2 film, THE POLAR EXPRESS. Another big hit for Pixar!

For the record, IMDB lists Pixar's grosses as follows:

TOY STORY $191 million (60th all time)

A BUGS LIFE $162 million (102nd all time)

TOY STORY 2 $245 million (33rd all time)

MONSTERS INC. $255 million (29th all time)

FINDING NEMO $339 million (12th all time)

THE INCREDIBLES $144 million (132nd all time -- and rising!)

Saw the movie yesterday afternoon and I have to agree with everyone that it was one of the best superhero movies ever.

Everyone raise your hand who idly thought about trying to by Edna Mode as a costume supplying Contact for your Champions character after watching. :)

*raises hand*

Saw the movie yesterday afternoon and I have to agree with everyone that it was one of the best superhero movies ever.

Everyone raise your hand who idly thought about trying to by Edna Mode as a costume supplying Contact for your Champions character after watching. :)

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

I saw it with my Champions group, and heard someone mutter "that's who we need".

I don't know that I could do that good a job of characterization, though -- Edna chewed scenery, stole scenes, and somehow still managed to be my favorite character.

I liked the insta team work the family showed once they found eachother... Dash's dust storm' date=' Violet's Force Bubble Barrage and the Parents dishing the most true damage. Just think how good they could be after a few years of training together?[/quote']

My personal favorite was the Violet/Dash hamster ball o' doom.

*raises hand*

I wonder how many people decided to add her to their games. I know one of the people I saw it with said he'd use her if he was running anything.