The Incredibles -- WITH SPOILERS

Kristopher

Re: The Incredibles -- WITH SPOILERS

He got sucked into a jet engine. I doubt he made it out, although they could always evoke the old standby of "they never DID find a body."

As for sequels... the problem is, Disney owns the rights to this film, not Pixar, which means after Pixar leaves the partnership next year it'd be Disney making the films, not Pixar.

And Disney's track record for the last several years wRT animated films has been a depressing slide into crap. Lilo and Stitch was the last gasp-- and that crew no longer works for the studio.

I did see re the engine, I'm just assuming some traditional "didn't see the body" as you cite.

Re Disney/Pixar, this was discussed over in the Non-Gaming Discussion and Keith "lends a hand" Curtis cited an article that I don't have handy indicating Pixar has right of first refusal. Disney contractually can't make it without giving Pixar the right to make it first, although they (Disney) do have the rights as you say in terms of whether it sees the light of day and whether they make it if Pixar decides not to do so for Disney. Which of course, to your point, is entirely possible given the recent dissolution of their relationship.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe without the superheroes to bring them back alive' date=' the cops had to resort to just blowing them away.[/quote']

To this and the prior point, there was a similar issue with Dark Knight Returns, and whlie Miller left it in the hands of a bumbling bleeding heart cliche psychiatrist, there may be some truth in both that and the DK fictional world in that supervillains arise as much in response to superheroes as vice-versa.

As to the elimination of supers, my guess would be that a few superheroes operated for the gov't while being protected (we're led to believe that it was a gradual process overall) while civil defense (probably a combo of military, national guard, with federal and local police) stepped up its efforts. Over that short period the supervillains gradually went out of business, so to speak, as they realized being quiet and underground, keeping a very low profile, was easier. Syndrome of course probably took out some, but the real threat of Syndrome (I'd assume) is that he represents the new breed of heavier-duty, more dangerous, and more hardcore villains that have been lurking in the wings, building up strength.

I guess.

Over that short period the supervillains gradually went out of business, so to speak, as they realized being quiet and underground, keeping a very low profile, was easier. Syndrome of course probably took out some, but the real threat of Syndrome (I'd assume) is that he represents the new breed of heavier-duty, more dangerous, and more hardcore villains that have been lurking in the wings, building up strength.

I guess.

I did something like that with a Champs campaign. Supers had been around for quite a while, and there were well-known, very respected superheroes of various power levels. The world I presented to the players, most of them familiar or very familiar with the genre, was one of mainly clean-cut heroes, and villains that, for the most part, weren't particularly lethal.

Then, in the preludes, I pulled the rug out from underneath them. The whole superhuman world was changing. In one, a famous patriotic superhero was crippled and put out of the business by a new villain. In another, the villain was a supermenace tearing apart Manhattan and killing bystanders in a blind rage, on a scale no one had ever imagined before, with a 9/11-like effect (and this was before the real 9/11). One of the characters turned out to be the product of a government program to create black-ops supers, and his powers were a minor copy of one of the most dangerous superbeings on earth, who had been kept in suspended animation in a secret government vault/lab for over 40 years.

Seeing as how Mr. "I bench locomotives" Incredible was helpless in the ZPE field' date=' I'm wondering if this is one of those BOECV type entangles?[/quote']

Just from a purist standpoint, I would build them as purely physical effect personally, but BOECV could simulate them very well.

Speaking of Benching locomotives, Jack's "workouts" (as a friend of mind pointed out) were a great example of the difficulty of superhuman logistics. How do you work out effectively when you can lift tons casually?

Just from a purist standpoint' date=' I would build them as purely physical effect personally, but BOECV could simulate them very well. [/quote']

I think it's definitely a physical TK, but with a RSR. Remember when he accidentally flung Mr. I away? "Brilliant."

Speaking of Benching locomotives, Jack's "workouts" (as a friend of mind pointed out) were a great example of the difficulty of superhuman logistics. How do you work out effectively when you can lift tons casually?

An aside: Bob Parr was Mr. I. Jack Parr was the baby and the original host of the tonight show.

I think his str score might be just a tad higher than we're saying. Pulling that train was giving him a workout, but it wasn't a strain. Of course, we didn't see him get it started, which would have been the real test.

As to villains disappearing, I was thinking that the supervillains might see the banning of superheroes as a sign that the government wasn't screwing around anymore. If they got caught, they were going down hard to eliminate the presence of any supers. Just a thought.

I think it's definitely a physical TK' date=' but with a RSR. Remember when he accidentally flung Mr. I away? "Brilliant."

GOOD CATCH, yeah, I'm down with this explanation.

I don't think it can be BOECV because I don't think a mentalist could get out of it. I think Mr. Incredible's (and others') problem was straight-forward - nothing to grab a hold of to apply strength!

So how to simulate that? Suppress STR, Limitation, so long as no leverage point? Because I get the impression that if he could have grabbed something the TK wouldn't have worked, but Syndrome kept him away from being able to do so. Although the Lim is probably meaningless as the way the ray works one probably never can grab anything. So probably a TK, RSR, Linked with Suppress STR - ?

GOOD CATCH, yeah, I'm down with this explanation.

I don't think it can be BOECV because I don't think a mentalist could get out of it. I think Mr. Incredible's (and others') problem was straight-forward - nothing to grab a hold of to apply strength!

So how to simulate that? Suppress STR, Limitation, so long as no leverage point? Because I get the impression that if he could have grabbed something the TK wouldn't have worked, but Syndrome kept him away from being able to do so. Although the Lim is probably meaningless as the way the ray works one probably never can grab anything. So probably a TK, RSR, Linked with Suppress STR - ?

Suppress might be the best way to mimic it, though I'm sure the original intention is simply a powerful tk effect. They were completely frozen in place (except for the mandatory head movement and speech, paralysis never stops those) and didn't even struggle. I think that's simply Bird's vision of TK.

It would be an affects whole kind of thing with some kind of power suppresion. I mean, a brick, a speedster, and a morph were all motionless, which suggests a massive power suppression, I think. SPEED Suppress? Cheaper than a STR drain on Mr. I, but much more expensive for Dash. Maybe just a SFX: Super Powers suppress.

I'd go with a Flight UAA if points were an issue, or a massive TK (STR:80 and a +1 Variable Advantage). We saw that Mr. Incredible was able to move his arms when he pushed, he just couldn't break free because he had nothing to push against (assuming the glove TK was the same tech as the imprisionment frame).

Just finished my second viewing of the movie. Going for a third with my friend's kids this weekend. Hey, it gives me an excuse, and the first viewing was a matinee, so it doesn't count. That's what I'm telling myself.

The last time I did this with a movie was The Two Towers. I saw that one three times in the theater too. I remember the last time I saw that one. I had actually gone in to see something else and just sat down to watch a few minutes until the other movie started. I never left.

Anyway, this is my favorite lightweight movie of the year. The summer was kind of disapointing, with only Spider-Man 2 and Bourne Supremacy really standing out. This will probably be the film I remember with the most fondly this year. It just warmed my bitter, shriveled, little heart.

Mr. Impossible seems to be pretty fast for a Brick. He is actually pretty dexterous, with a pretty good Stealth roll, and at least Breakfall. I think he would have really impressive stats, good defenses with some Damage Resistance or Reduction, and a lot of skill levels. We did not actually see bullets bounce off of him, but he absorbed a lot of punishment. Just thinking out loud:

STR 65

DEX 24

CON 30+

INT 15

EGO 20

PRE 20

COM 14

PD (?)

ED (?)

SPD 5 (?)

REC (?)

END(?)

STUN (?)

I think Mr. Incredible is vaguely Superman-esque in that while he's a brick he has many other abilities and excels in them, SPD being somewhat high (5 sounds about right; Elasti-Girl might be SPD 5 also, though, she's pretty responsive, witness the missille vs plane scene as well as her ability to do in the mooks easily despite being wrangled by doors).

I bet both adults have a number of skills and contacts yet to be uncovered.

The family was def. a Fantastic Four homage' date=' and I [i']think[/i] one of the two old farts at the end saying "They're back, they're back..." was supposed to be Stan Lee (I don't know who the other guy was supposed to be), but were there ANY DC homages in the film?

Actually, the old guys were Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.

Director Brad Bird had them in The Iron Giant too.

Actually, the old guys were Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.

Director Brad Bird had them in The Iron Giant too.

I think you hit the nail on the head; it took a moment, and then the kids in the audience started applauding, when they showed up on screen.

As far as Mr. Incredible, sure he's acrobatic and competent. But I don't think he showed more than Olympian-level agility, modified for high strength.

STR 65-70

DEX 18

CON 30+

INT 15

EGO 15

PRE 20

COM 14

PD 20+ (I'm thinking of the train.)

ED 20+ (I'm thinking of fighting the hot robot at the edge of the lava.)

SPD 4

REC 12+

END 40+ during the first jungle foray, 50+ later on

STUN 50+

Seriously' date=' each of the Parr family's powers reflects a bit of stereotypical thinking about the nuclear family - Dad has to be strong no matter what; Mom is pulled in a million different directions and has to be flexible, the Teenaged Girl just wants to vanish, Junior is a mess of energy, and the baby? The baby is like dealing with a ten ton weight, a hot potato, and a raging demon.[/quote']

I thought the baby's power was that it was a metamorph. Just like a real baby, it has the potential to be anything, and you have no idea what it will turn out to be until ut bites you in the rear. :)

Seriously' date=' each of the Parr family's powers reflects a bit of stereotypical thinking about the nuclear family - Dad has to be strong no matter what; Mom is pulled in a million different directions and has to be flexible, the Teenaged Girl just wants to vanish, Junior is a mess of energy, and the baby? The baby is like dealing with a ten ton weight, a hot potato, and a raging demon.[/quote']

I thought the baby's power was that it was a metamorph. Just like a real baby, it has the potential to be anything, and you have no idea what it will turn out to be until it bites you in the rear. :)

Okay , revise my estimate on Mr. I's DEX to 21.

I was thinking the 24, or probably 23 to be more efficient, would be the the DEX I would give him. I am definitely thinking over 18, 21 might be a good compromise I'm thinking about the way he prevented the guy from commiting suicide. Sure he has Superleap, but he also had to time his leap with the man's fall and make the catch, not the way the average 18 DEX brick would handle that.

He just did not move as ponderously, as we generally expect Bricks to move. He had some nice dodges and great aim with a coconut. Susano or some other old hand at conversions will probably come up with something one day. Further thoughts:

Frozone is probably in the area of 25 DEX, 6 SPD. He is clearly quicker than Mr. I and Elastigirl. He is shown making multiple attacks in the time it takes the others to make one. He takes his actions like a martial artist

Elastigirl I would give 25 DEX, 5 SPD. She is more of a martial artist than Reed Richards ever was. I don't think I would go with martial arts though. I would go hefty dice of Hand Attack (up to 5D6) to add amage to her STR, which is around 20. I believe she has additional STR based on Stretching that requires a Power Skill roll: using her arm as a slingshot to hurl the man hole cover.

Dash is around 26 DEX, 6 SPD. Once he gets used to using his speed he would go to 7 SPD. He doesn't do any real damage basedon his STR, which I think is like 8, but those autofire punches are probably about a 4D6 Autofire, No Range (enough to take out normals with 13 DEX).

This is your last warning. If you have not seen the movie, and don't want to read any spoilers, then leave this thread. If we ruin the movie for you, it is your own stinking fault. If you haven't seen it yet, your first priority should be to go to a theatre and watch it. Now.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

F

O

L

L

O

W

OK.

I loved this movie.

Given the normal way such twists work out in the genre, I thought Mirage's change of heart was a refreshing switch, as was the fact that she didn't end up dead. Did anyone notice what her superpowers were? (Do you think she had any powers?) Given the way she comes and goes, it might be the ability to go unnoticed.

I was very happily surprised to see a hero actually take out the villain who threatened to come back and attack the hero's family again.

And this really wasn't the 4-color or Silver Age movie I kinda expected. Syndrome actually killed off a lot of superheroes. Agents died. Mr Incredible used lethal force to protect his family.

Did anyone else see Syndrome's cape and think "something's going to happen with the cape at the end", given Edna Mode's rant about capes? And unlike Dynagirl (I think that was the name given), who might have had the powers to survive a trip through a jet engine, Syndrome is very likely dead -- unless he activated a ZPE field around himself...

That's StratoGale and you might be right it's accidents like these that made Edna glad that she made the outfits without capes.