The Incredibles -- WITH SPOILERS

Kristopher

Re: The Incredibles -- WITH SPOILERS

I'm sure a version of Edna will get into my games. In general the movie is a great reminder of the best elements, and Edna isn't just the costume person per se, she's that great crazed inventor sidekick to the heroes, in whichever guise - mechanic, costuming, weapons, etc..

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CU used to have a Edna-logue

Dr. McQuark's Superhero Supply and Gymnasium! Everything you needed from classes on Police Proceedures and Basic Self-Defense to Bulletproof Spandex. I don't know where he went, but he should get a spot in a sourcebook (maybe Allies).

The CU used to have a Edna-logue

Dr. McQuark's Superhero Supply and Gymnasium! Everything you needed from classes on Police Proceedures and Basic Self-Defense to Bulletproof Spandex. I don't know where he went, but he should get a spot in a sourcebook (maybe Allies).

Wasn't Dr. McQuark part of the Aaron Allston campaign that also produced the Blood, and was detailed in Strike Force? If so, it seems unlikely he'll be turning up in the CU.

Edna was great its not suprising she stole the movie considering she was voiced by brad bird the director.

thats one thing i really liked about this movie they didn't make a big deal of the voice talent[ I always think when they use big names and make a big deal of them it detracts from the movie why shoudl i care that sinbad is voiced by brad pitt.]

it was a change that half the voice cast where from the art department and most of the rest where first timers or experinced voice actors.

anyway i'm moving this from the other thread as its a bit of a spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack Jack seemed like a multiform with lots of forms and no concious control which form he became mind you a vpp might work instead

the forms where fire [damage shield]

living metal[was that lead?] {denisty increase boosted toughness?}

and the devil monster thing {boosted strength and pre?}

Jack Jack seemed like a multiform with lots of forms and no concious control of which form he became; mind you a vpp might work instead

the forms were fire [damage shield]

living metal[was that lead?] {density increase boosted toughness?}

and the devil monster thing {boosted strength and pre?}

Personally, I'd give him "VPP: Metamorph Powers" with a few Limitations like "No Control over when or how powers change." After all, he's a baby. A very little baby, 6 - 8 months or so would be my guess. With the appropriate social limitations, physical limitations and DF.

For me, the lynchpin moment was when Bob is sitting in the cubicle. He looked so much like a fish-out-of-water or big-fish-small-pond (or any other fish cliches I can think of) that I thought, "I know exactly how you feel." He looks at everyone he works with (including his boss) and thinks, "Y'know, I could crush you like a grape." I look at everyone I work with (including my boss) and think, "My brain could run circles around yours and not even get tired."

I also found myself identifying with Violet a little bit, as well. I'm much older and male, but like her, I'm also painfully shy, so whenever a pretty woman looks my way, I wish I could turn invisible.

Aside note: Anyone catch the reference of Violet's name to the phrase "shrinking violet" (a bashful or retiring person, according to M-W.com)?

I agree in all respects. It is ONLY praise to say I liked the Incredibles better than Shreck!!!

and I did seriously wonder what became of the villains. Maybe they were less likely to escape, more likely to die in this history. Maybe the "super Prison" was actually competantly designed and run?

I was wondering what happened to all the supervillains when the heroes were forced into retirement--were they all supposed to be in jail by then, or something? Because usually when the heroes are incapacitated or otherwise out of the picture, that's the time the bad guys really go on a spree--

BANK ROBBERS: "This is great! With the Mighty Rocket out of town, there's no one to stop us!"

THE MIGHTY ROCKET: "Who said I was out of town?"

BANK ROBBERS: "Oh---fudge. . ."

Now I could see Syndrome recruiting the villains the same way he "recruited" all those heroes--but I thought there should have been some mention of it in the movie.

That being said, it did not diminish my enjoyment of the movie one bit. The Incredibles is quite possibly the best original superhero movie ever--EVER--and I plan to see it once more, at least, and support it in any way I can.

I agree in all respects. It is ONLY praise to say I liked the Incredibles better than Shreck!!!

and I did seriously wonder what became of the villains. Maybe they were less likely to escape, more likely to die in this history. Maybe the "super Prison" was actually competantly designed and run?

Most Superheroes Forced Underground story lines start to fall apart if you ask questions like "what became of the villains." ;)

If we want to fan-wank it, I'd say that the heroes had been killing the violent Supervillains left and right, and that the government occasionally brought out tame and very anonymous heroes to deal with the new Supervillains that popped up over the last 15 years.

How strong do you guys think Elasti-girl is? She took out the two mooks with two blows of her extended arm, and the other one with a single kick.

She supported the Camper, but It seemed like she was on the edge of her abilities to do so.

Do you think she has some kind of martial art with extra damage classes?

I think Mr. Incredible is vaguely Superman-esque in that while he's a brick he has many other abilities and excels in them, SPD being somewhat high (5 sounds about right; Elasti-Girl might be SPD 5 also, though, she's pretty responsive, witness the missille vs plane scene as well as her ability to do in the mooks easily despite being wrangled by doors).

I bet both adults have a number of skills and contacts yet to be uncovered.

How strong do you guys think Elasti-girl is? She took out the two mooks with two blows of her extended arm, and the other one with a single kick.

She supported the Camper, but It seemed like she was on the edge of her abilities to do so.

Do you think she has some kind of martial art with extra damage classes?

I think she's at least STR 15 with + 15 STR based on stretching (she manhandled the unconcious agents into the closset, but had some trouble with it). A HA or MA based on stretching would make sense as well. Maybe a PD EB based on Objects of Opportunity as well.

Elasti Girl definitely has some ability to use her "stretchiness" to do more damage than normal. The trick with the manhole cover was an extreme version of it, but I'm sure that's how she was able to overcome the agents with that level of skill. I'd call it a "Stretching Tricks Martial Art" along the lines of the "Brick Tricks Martial Art" in UMA.

I agree she's martial arts with additional damage classes.

As to tomd1969's point, I think most adults empathized with Bob sitting there, powerless, as compared to his "glory days," even if for most our candles have neither burnt so bright or dimmed so faintly.

Additional comment, my wife mentioned that she really felt Elasti-girl was especially well-written, that she rang true more than most married women in movies (any genre).

The ending was perfect as well. There they are, at a track meet, watching Dash finally play sports. Cheering him on, until he starts doing too good. "Second place is good." And the look from the folks seated next to them. Priceless.

The argument about which turnoff to take was great as well. Sometimes its okay to argue and bicker at each other and rather than represent the failings of a relationship, it demostrates how strong it is. You knew Mom and Dad are gonna be just fine when they argue like that.

As for the government setting up the Supe Relocation Program, that actually makes a lot of sense. First off, any government that did start offing supes, especially good supes, would find itself in a world of hurt. And by using the program, if the need ever does arrise where such special abilities are needed, well, said government does have their number.

Besides, its the least they can do after saving the planet so many times.

Best movie ever.

And I thought it said a lot about Bob that what finally drove him over the edge with his manager wasn't the truckloads of verbal abuse heaped on him byt the little troll' date=' but the fact that his manager stopped him from saving the mugging victim.[/quote']

This is exactly why Phych Lims like "Must protect the weak" and "Driven to use his power for good" are real psych lims and not just gimmies.

Mr. Incredible hospitalized a normal man because he prevented him from helping.

This is exactly why Phych Lims like "Must protect the weak" and "Driven to use his power for good" are real psych lims and not just gimmies.

Mr. Incredible hospitalized a normal man because he prevented him from helping.

Also because the little troll was actively working not to pay off on any policy.

"But... aren't we supposed to help people?"

"The law requires me to say yes."

Few comments:

-Edna Mode rocks :)

-Actually, this whole movie rocked :) :)

-While Mr Incredible did get cut once, he was cut by the robot that seemed to be almost as strong as he was, using a claw made of the same incredibly tough material it was built out of ( that Mr I couldn't just readily wreck, he had to gain leverage and pull apart at joints ). IMHO, he probably was bulletproof.

I don't see it in this thread, not sure if I posted elsewhere but too lazy to look further just now - but I thought it was neat that Dash says "uh-oh" like his father does, a nice touch.

As to the baby, I think it may be a multiform elemental possibly as lemming suggested to me (he came with to see it today, my 4th time but his 1st), but I think more likely it will be a flame-based character that turns into a heavy ("smelted"/"alloyed") metal from intense flame. I think the devil appearance/look is fire-related. But I may be reaching. And I suspect he'll be an energy blaster based on the fire thing, which makes sense as they don't have one of those and in fact don't have much for real (intrinsic) ranged powers, although Frozone counts when he's around.

Actually' date=' my take on Jack-Jack was that super powers seem very tied to the person's personality, and that the baby - having no locked in stone personality yet - simply had access to anything.[/quote']

Probably more likely, admittedly, but I like my fanboy neatness! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did the players ever realize it?

How did they react?

Nah, she hung back, followed from a distance, and then reported in and the big gun was sent in.

Just a color for myself - a bit of silliness, really.

Although if she had followed when the uber-detective were with them, she might have been spotted.