1970's slang

Haven Walkur

Greetings, all.

I'm playing a timelost character in a Champions version of the Legion of Superheroes setting. Gamma Girl grew up in America in the 70s, playing Robin to her guardian Lady Gray's Batman. In 1979, at age 17, she got transported across time and parallels to the DC Universe Earth, 30th Century. Now she's a Legionnaire, but she still occasionally uses 70's slang--and I'm too old and too English to know much besides 'groovy', 'far out', 'wild' and 'crazy'.

Can anybody help me with a more complete list of things teenagers actually said in the 1970s? Did American teens still use dated 1960s phrases in the 70s? What was 'hot' and what was not in terms of speech in the America of the 1970s?

Any help would by greatly appreciated. I'm really pleased with the character, but just how often can I have her say "Far out," in one session? I mean, really!

Re: 1970's slang

From an EFL Lesson Plan:

Boss!: cool; awesome.

Bread: money.

Check ya later: see you later.

Dy-no-mite!: great. Made popular by the TV series Good Times.

Far out, man!: Thatís really cool!

Foxy: good looking.

Gravy: sweet,cool,excellent.

Groovy: cool.

I Hear That: I accept your decision.

Jinkies!: sign of surprise, "Oh my gosh!" "Oh dear!"

Jive Turkey: a detestable person.

Later: see you later.

Let's book: let's leave this place.

Mellow out: chill out or calm down.

Outta Sight: far-out. Very cool or good.

Psychedelic: awesome.

See ya on the flipside: see ya later.

Slide: to give.

A LSH campaign sounds very neat, I'm jealous.

Were they still using "Peace" in the 70s? Heck I was a kid in the 70s, but I seem to remember it was still in some use (in fact, one of my firends still uses it). That reminds me: "Dude", "Cool", etc. are still pretty commonplace now, but they were used then too as I recall. Not everything has to be "vintage 70s" in the sense that it was unique to that time.

There are also some things other than langauge: She might talk about the energy crisis and the sense of mistrust for the government that had come out befoire (and most certainly after) Watergate. There were some pretty widspread Litter campaigns then as well as I recall. Some products might be handy too, "I just wish they had some V-8 in this century"

Cheiro is right too, nobody has called me a honky in some time but it was rather well used in that time period.

Copasetic

Hang loose

Are you for real?

Far out

Bad vibes, man

Keep on truckin

{various CB radio lingo}

Neat-o

Old Man/Lady

Mellow

Mellow Out

Keep it mellow

{etc}

The "Fuzz" or the "Heat"

Establishment

Trippin

Trip out

On a trip

{etc}

F******-A

Some general things, in the 70's it wasnt just what you said, it was how you said it.

Stretch words to add pacing and slow speech down.

Dont pronounce g's at the end of words.

Add Man to the end of every sentence where possible.

Never act concerned or stressed about anything; the 70's were all about chillin out and not lettin the establishment get you down, man.

See' date=' I always think of Bill & Ted when I hear "Excellent!". That was like the late 80's or early 90's.[/quote']

What can I say, he was ahead of his time. Actually, he said all his buddies at school were saying it at the time, too.

Now that I recall, didn't Wanye from Wayne's World say that a lot, too?

Mags

What can I say, he was ahead of his time. Actually, he said all his buddies at school were saying it at the time, too.

Now that I recall, didn't Wanye from Wayne's World say that a lot, too?

Mags

I believe he did, now that you mention it.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Burns form the Simpsons says it, as well, though not as frequently.