Aquaman: WTF?

Bengal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Aquaman: WTF?

If Aquaman was raised in a cornfield, could he talk to corn, crows and little corn parasites, but not other things? This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Actually, I heard about it like 25 years ago. The overwhelming dumbness of the whole Aquaman concept had thus far overshadowed the specific dumbness of his "talk to sea life" power.

This does not bother me at all.

He can relate to things that live in water, and his telepathic powers require not only water as a conduit, but water as an underlying "life memory" to relate to. Yeah, that's it. Sure, whatever.

Heck, the Urban Druid, my character, could only telepath and mind control roaches, rats, pigeons, cats, dogs, and street people, as lower-classed urban beings.

You know, it's amazing what kinds of concepts I can wrap my head around, that I can breeze right through and not even bother with the metastory. You know, Apache Chief from the Superfriends seems pretty neat to me. I have been trying to make up a Decent Rope Man (the Mighty Heroes cartoon) for ages, since he just looked so cool to my toddler eyes. Cyclops' power being nullified by red crystal- no problems. (Why hasn't Magneto ever wielded a red crystal shield?) But this Aquaman thing... bleh

btw, why does Dr. Strange need an Eye of Aggamotto and an Orb of Aggamotto, when they seem to be funcitonally identical?

And how can Ghost Rider's skull burn in space?

And how did Marvel's version of the Champions (of LA) get saddled with the burden of Angel as both the team's benefactor (he's not that rich) and the team's only flier (he's not that fast)? Splaintame that one.

You know, it's amazing what kinds of concepts I can wrap my head around, that I can breeze right through and not even bother with the metastory. You know, Apache Chief from the Superfriends seems pretty neat to me. I have been trying to make up a Decent Rope Man (the Mighty Heroes cartoon) for ages, since he just looked so cool to my toddler eyes. Cyclops' power being nullified by red crystal- no problems. (Why hasn't Magneto ever wielded a red crystal shield?) But this Aquaman thing... bleh

btw, why does Dr. Strange need an Eye of Aggamotto and an Orb of Aggamotto, when they seem to be funcitonally identical?

And how did Marvel's version of the Champions (of LA) get saddled with the burden of Angel as both the team's benefactor (he's not that rich) and the team's only flier (he's not that fast)? Splaintame that one.

Bengal (or anyone, really), if you haven't seen this before I bet you'd love it - http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm - check out the Aquaman entry, it is HILARIOUS. As is the Apache Chief one, which is what reminded me of linking this.

Bulky focus for the second one so he could get more points out of it?

It's not real fire, it's magic fire

He always seemed pretty rich and on the flying front, so?

Did Warren Ellis send you ?

Aquaman (and all other superhero characters predating him) was created for kids, so elements relating to him (like the sea-telepathy) were simplified for reasons of story-purpose (if it's in the ocean, he can talk to it).

If you need to rationalize it, just chalk it up to "Atlantean royal family sea-magic" or figure that all sea-creatures naturally have some undefinable genetic capacity for communication which Aquaman can tap into. Maybe it's an offshoot of sonar ?

Stuff like this was never really intended for close scrutiny.

But this Aquaman thing... bleh

Oh come on, dude, you can handle someone's head being on FIRE, but you can't handle it surviving in space? Most fires go out if they aren't consuming something. And frankly, that's more stupid than it surviving in space - fire CAN do that, as long as it has fuel and oxygen to burn.

Seriously, you have some odd things you stress about. :) Just let it ride!

And the MU Champions was a bad idea to start with, according to what I've heard. Never read an issue, but...

Actually, I have an issue (well, a TPB) of Superman issues where Aquaman is seen, apparently, having a telepathic conversation with Superman. The world-balloons are 'bubbly', which could be because they were underwater, but there's no indication that the person Superman was with (in fist-swinging proximity) heard a word of it, so it had to be telepathic.

So, I guess Aquaman can communicate telepathically with other mammals, he just generally chooses not to. Of course, like all super-powers, it depends on the author as to how inventive a character gets with them.

As a fan of Aquaman:

All atlanteans can use a form of telepathy, it is primarily used for communications between each other. It has been shown that other atlanteeen's can communicate with fish (Garth & Vulton)

Aquaman can only communicate with sea life, his ability to command is tied into him being there king

This ability is tied into ancient atlantean magic (see the Atlantis Chronicles vol 7)

Garth (aka Aqualad/Tempest) seems to be able to command them as a courtesy to there king

Actually, I have an issue (well, a TPB) of Superman issues where Aquaman is seen, apparently, having a telepathic conversation with Superman. The world-balloons are 'bubbly', which could be because they were underwater, but there's no indication that the person Superman was with (in fist-swinging proximity) heard a word of it, so it had to be telepathic.

So, I guess Aquaman can communicate telepathically with other mammals, he just generally chooses not to. Of course, like all super-powers, it depends on the author as to how inventive a character gets with them.

Probably John Byrne or Grant Morrison wrote it.

>>Oh come on, dude, you can handle someone's head being on FIRE, but you can't handle it surviving in space? Most fires go out if they aren't consuming something. And frankly, that's more stupid than it surviving in space - fire CAN do that, as long as it has fuel and oxygen to burn.

Seriously, you have some odd things you stress about. Just let it ride!<<

Yep, the idea of a superhero is no problem for my tiny peanut-butter brain, but the talking to sea life thing, that tears it.

I need to up my meds.

Re: The Orb and Eye of Aggamotto

The Eye, in addition to being mobile, is far less powerful that the Ob; the Orb can see across dimensions, throughout all time and space, reveal almost anythig, and I think it can enable communication, though I'm not entirely certain about that. The Eye can only see into people's hearts and minds. It can reveal the true face of things, and Aggamotto's light can also strengthen other magic weilders if Strange so chooses and the other allows it.

Bengal (or anyone' date=' really), if you haven't seen this before I bet you'd love it - http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm - check out the Aquaman entry, it is HILARIOUS. As is the Apache Chief one, which is what reminded me of linking this.

That was hillarious, crewel and far, far too accurate!

Oh come on' date=' dude, you can handle someone's head being on FIRE, but you can't handle it surviving in space? Most fires go out if they aren't consuming something. And frankly, that's more stupid than it surviving in space - fire CAN do that, as long as it has fuel and oxygen to burn.[/quote']

True. It's kinda how rockets work up there.

Which makes me wonder... it Ghost Rider though really, really hard.. I mean concentrated to the point of looking constipated... could he use his head as a thruster?

True. It's kinda how rockets work up there.

Which makes me wonder... it Ghost Rider though really, really hard.. I mean concentrated to the point of looking constipated... could he use his head as a thruster?

Depends on whether the flame has any mass or not. Rockets work 'cause fuel's being pushed out back, which pushes the rocket forward. Equal & opposite. So if the flame really is magical, and has no mass, then it won't impart any thrust.

On the other hand, with concentration... or maybe with the right tech, you could sedate him and stick him in a rocket engine.

I always wanted to do that with Havok, y'know? Was that really just me?

Probably John Byrne or Grant Morrison wrote it.

>>Oh come on, dude, you can handle someone's head being on FIRE, but you can't handle it surviving in space? Most fires go out if they aren't consuming something. And frankly, that's more stupid than it surviving in space - fire CAN do that, as long as it has fuel and oxygen to burn.

Seriously, you have some odd things you stress about. Just let it ride!<<

Yep, the idea of a superhero is no problem for my tiny peanut-butter brain, but the talking to sea life thing, that tears it.

I need to up my meds.

Ah ignore him and don't feel bad, we all obsess on some stupid things but can't help ourselves.

On the opposite side of the fence, I was one watching MST3K and as Tom Servo was playing a sax, I thought to myself, "That's so absurd, Tom obviously can't play the sax!" A split second later I said to myself, "Uh, of course, Tom's not real..." Perspective is a funny thing.

It has been shown that other atlanteeen's can communicate with fish (Garth & Vulton) [ ... ] Garth (aka Aqualad/Tempest) seems to be able to command them as a courtesy to there king

Wait a minute ... the Aqualad of the 1960s clearly did not have aquatic telepathy. There was even an episode of the Aquaman cartoon show where this became a major issue. When did Aqualad start talking to fish?

Bengal (or anyone' date=' really), if you haven't seen this before I bet you'd love it - http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm - check out the Aquaman entry, it is HILARIOUS. As is the Apache Chief one, which is what reminded me of linking this.[/quote']

See also the currently-existing in-depth reviews of 6 Challenge of the SuperFriends episodes at http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/cotsf. Equally hootious. Especially the Ken Begg ones.