Aquaman: WTF?

Bengal

Re: Aquaman: WTF?

Re: The Orb and Eye of Aggamotto

The Eye, in addition to being mobile, is far less powerful that the Ob; the Orb can see across dimensions, throughout all time and space, reveal almost anythig, and I think it can enable communication, though I'm not entirely certain about that. The Eye can only see into people's hearts and minds. It can reveal the true face of things, and Aggamotto's light can also strengthen other magic weilders if Strange so chooses and the other allows it.

Yeah, that's about the right way to describe them. The Eye was also handy since he could take a copy of it in astral form that still functioned as usual.

It's also worth noting that Agamotto's light wasn't too pleasant for evil supernaturals to be hit by.

As a side note, the Orb and Eye are pretty much a badge of office for the Sorcerer Supreme since Agamotto makes up a third of the Vishanti (along with Hoggoth & Oshtur) and they are one of the primary backers of sorcerers of order like Strange. 'sides, near as I can tell owning them both gives a sort of synergistic bonus to Strange's invocation of Agamotto's power. Y'know, like having the whole set of crown rod and orb for a specific alignment did with the old D&D artifacts. Anyway, Doc wouldn't be half as fun without all his occult trappings and artifacts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiderman can talk to insects now? Where? When? What books' date=' what issues?[/quote']

Not sure of all the details, but for awhile he mutated into Man Spider for awhile, was restored and now seems to have the power to communicate with insects and all things creepy crawly. I believe his webshooters are now natural as well, but don't quote me on that. The majority of this happened during the recent Avengers Disassembled arc.

Not sure of all the details' date=' but for awhile he mutated into Man Spider, was restored and now seems to have the power to communicate with insects and all things creepy crawly. I believe his webshooters are now natural as well, but don't quote me on that. The majority of this happened during the recent Avengers Disassembled arc.[/quote']Though in this case, it's not too obnoxious; Peter's mutation has nover been entirely stable.

I believe his webshooters are now natural as well' date=' but don't quote me on that. The majority of this happened during the recent Avengers Disassembled arc.[/quote']

Yup.

Considering the movies made his webs natural, it's surprising this change wasn't made sooner.

Marvel Universe only:

It's my understanding, re: Earth X, that no mutation is supposedly "stable", but rather, any mutated character (whatever their specific origin) can be further mutated. Second-generation superheroes (the sons and daughters of superheroes) are likely to be more powerful than their parents (although explain that one to Quicksilver) because of some sort of genetic compounding of superpower.

Wait a minute ... the Aqualad of the 1960s clearly did not have aquatic telepathy. There was even an episode of the Aquaman cartoon show where this became a major issue. When did Aqualad start talking to fish?

As with many DC characters, forget everything they ever did before Crisis/Zero Hour.

Aqualad (now Tempest) spent like 30 years of XP when he had his own miniseries about ten years ago :) He was pulled into a pocket dimension by Atlan the sorcerer for a couple of their years while only a month or so passed on Earth, and learned a tremendous amount of Atlantean magic. He came back with great command of water magic (freezing it and boiling it) as well as being able to shoot beams of magical energy from his eyes. Probably more mystical abilities as yet unnamed as well.

He could speak with fish for a time but has lost that ability as far as I know. For a time he shared Aquaman's ability to command sea life but there was a difference: whereas Aquaman could command, Garth would ask.

Spiderman can talk to insects now? Where? When? What books' date=' what issues?[/quote']

I confess I only thumbed through the issues in question but yeah, a few months ago Spidey got the ol mind-control whammy put on him by some brand new character who's been around since before WWII. She made him turn into this big female spider who then proceeded to hatch him back out with biological webshooters and the ability to communicate with insects and arachnids. To his credit, Spidey is as wierded out by this as we are. He seemed real confused as to why he can hear insects.

I'm currently pretending this never happened but that's nothing new for me.

I also refuse to believe in the Maximum Clonage storyline and that Cap has green glowing blood.

Obstinate disbelief is a valuable skill to have when trying to enjoy many comics. I refuse to believe that Jean Grey ever came back from the dead, and in many of the incarnations of Dr. Fate. There are many other things I refuse to believe, but most of them deal with one-shot stupid stories.

Keith "I draw my sword and disbelieve" Curtis

Obstinate disbelief is a valuable skill to have when trying to enjoy many comics. I refuse to believe that Jean Grey ever came back from the dead, and in many of the incarnations of Dr. Fate. There are many other things I refuse to believe, but most of them deal with one-shot stupid stories.

Keith "I draw my sword and disbelieve" Curtis

Yeah. I'm still trying to disbelieve Wolvie's bone claws away. 'Course, I also refuse to believe Venom is any kind of hero, anti- or otherwise or that the Scarlet Witch is a psycho. Oh well.

As with many DC characters, forget everything they ever did before Crisis/Zero Hour.

Aqualad (now Tempest) spent like 30 years of XP when he had his own miniseries about ten years ago :) He was pulled into a pocket dimension by Atlan the sorcerer for a couple of their years while only a month or so passed on Earth, and learned a tremendous amount of Atlantean magic. He came back with great command of water magic (freezing it and boiling it) as well as being able to shoot beams of magical energy from his eyes. Probably more mystical abilities as yet unnamed as well.

He could speak with fish for a time but has lost that ability as far as I know. For a time he shared Aquaman's ability to command sea life but there was a difference: whereas Aquaman could command, Garth would ask.

The way I understood it is that all atlanteans could talk to fish, Aquaman was the recognised "King of the sea" by the fish, Aqualad as his partner got some curtisies (they were ALOT more likely to do what the King's adopted son wanted...go figure...)

Let us not not forget that the Current Aquaman is a stone bad @$$. Please pardon my language but it is true.

I love the current, "Remember: King of the Seas!" personality that Arthur has. Sure he went through the niave "I go to parties with a fishbowl on my head talking to shrimp and walleye bit, but now he is all the Man all the time.

As an anecdote if anyone remembers the Dark Flash storyline where Wallace (the alternate Dark Flash) is accused of out gruffing Aquaman. Priceless.

As to what Aquaman can do as I understand it he has "Primitive Telepathy" he interfaces with and controls the archaic parts of the brain. Fish, amphibians and other lower lifeforms are easy targets, Advanced brains like cetaceans and people are more complex and the effect is cruder (which is occasionally a good thing when he uses it to directly attack.)

Hawksmoor

-Aquaman Grroupie!

you know superskrull i don't really have a problem with the bone claws because otherwise your left with the idea that some loony scientist put them in there on purpose.

hey guys you know that runty special forces soldier with the bad temper and amazing healing abilities, we are illegally experimenting on?

I had a great idea i think we should install three, foot long adamantium blades in each of his arms so they can pop out like huge claws and like cut through stuff. It'll be sweet.

you know superskrull i don't really have a problem with the bone claws because otherwise your left with the idea that some loony scientist put them in there on purpose.

hey guys you know that runty special forces soldier with the bad temper and amazing healing abilities, we are illegally experimenting on?

I had a great idea i think we should install three, foot long adamantium blades in each of his arms so they can pop out like huge claws and like cut through stuff. It'll be sweet.

As if bonding his skeleton with unbreakable metal was not bad enough? No, seriously the Bone Claws were a bad idea and one that is best left in the rubbish bin with the rest of the late 1990s X titles.

Hawksmoor

Might be a dead issue, but I thought I'd mention that in a book entitled "The Science of Superheroes" (check it out on Amazon), the authors propose that, while telepathy might not be as realistic as it could be, it would not be improbably to assume that Aquaman actually communicates with sea life through the myriad non-verbal forms; everything from body motion to pheromones, which, being an aquatic form of communication proven among fish and mammals alike, would fit the bill. He doesn't "command" them so much as he appeals to certain base instincts which essentially directs them to do as he wishes. Still a tad outlandish, but not completely unbelievable.

Might be a dead issue' date=' but I thought I'd mention that in a book entitled "The Science of Superheroes" (check it out on Amazon), the authors propose that, while telepathy might not be as realistic as it could be, it would not be improbably to assume that Aquaman actually communicates with sea life through the myriad non-verbal forms; everything from body motion to pheromones, which, being an aquatic form of communication proven among fish and mammals alike, would fit the bill. He doesn't "command" them so much as he appeals to certain base instincts which essentially directs them to do as he wishes. Still a tad outlandish, but not completely unbelievable.[/quote']

I read that book. I really liked it. I have to admit, they blew away all of my favorite Silver Age heroes. I especially liked that chapter on why Flash or any other super-speedster would be invincible. The Ant-Man/Giant Man chapter was good too. I also read and liked The Science of Superman.

Might be a dead issue' date=' but I thought I'd mention that in a book entitled "The Science of Superheroes" (check it out on Amazon), the authors propose that, while telepathy might not be as realistic as it could be, it would not be improbably to assume that Aquaman actually communicates with sea life through the myriad non-verbal forms; everything from body motion to pheromones, which, being an aquatic form of communication proven among fish and mammals alike, would fit the bill. He doesn't "command" them so much as he appeals to certain base instincts which essentially directs them to do as he wishes. Still a tad outlandish, but not completely unbelievable.[/quote']

That's really interesting. And good to see you vanguard00, hasn't it been a while?

Yes, well... after all, no mad scientists have ever done anything odd just for the hell of it before... :whistle:

Hmmm much like the regrettable changes to Spiderman..this discussion seems to be mutating...

Anyway being the new kid on the block so to speak. (takes a moment to powerdrill the memory of the deplorable song "Hanging tough" from his cranium) There are plenty of other Heroes out there that do not adhere to the laws of "Science" and are plenty lame I might add.

So back off the Golden-haired Atlantean. Besides getting grim, what did he ever do to you except mystify you with his ability to talk with fish? ;)

That's like being mad at Superman cause he can fly. He just can its part of the concept. Believe in the power of fiction!

and while we are discussing comic characters...

Somebody help me here....

Marvel in there infinite wisdom have taken Wolverine (Who quite frankly is WAY overused as a character. Yes he is cool in certain doses, but I am sick of Marvel's use of the character to quickly boost sales. Quick have the hero or heroes meet wolverine so he can slice things and make with the witty one liners. Brilliant!!) and cloned him, BUT its a girl with two claws and she's a teenager cause angsty sells and will appeal to a younger market. And this is new and creative?

All things a side and keeping on topic.

Aqua Man. Not lame, very cool. Except for the Bad..Bad Sixties cartoon.

Ghost Rider's head flames in Space because of Hellfire, Mysticism, Magic.

And as we all know Magic/Mysticism trumps Science in the comic world.

Doc Strange can use the Eye of agomotto and other mystical objects cause he is The Sorcerer Supreme. So he can.

And my only other comment..

Make mine J.M. Stracynski's Spiderman. Where Peter doesn't mutate into talking with Spiders. Cause if the Character's sales are flagging and you can't really fit Wolverine in...Make him a Mutant! Yeah..that's it...Yeah! Wait but we need more Angst!! Make Mary Jane a Mutant!! Yes!! That's it!! And due to her Red hair she can talk to the Color Red!! And..And Supermodels!!

Supermodels? Yeah, their kind of like Aliens or Spiders..Wait!! She can talk to Spider Supermodels!! Brilliant!! and and!! Then Wolverine Shows up!! Yeah? What's he going to do?

Slice things!!

Brilliant!!

Rikathos

Guest bblackmoor

... it would not be improbably to assume that Aquaman actually communicates with sea life through the myriad non-verbal forms; everything from body motion to pheromones...

That's an interesting take. I had not heard that proposed before.

That's an interesting take. I had not heard that proposed before.

They have lots of cool ideas in the book. Sometimes it doesn't fit what is portrayed in the comics/cartoons, but they do the best they can with the science that's available. I give it a serious recommendation for anyone into that sort of thing.

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471024600/qid=1104813280/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-3342869-7126353?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Make Mary Jane a Mutant!! Yes!! That's it!! And due to her Red hair she can talk to the Color Red!! And..And Supermodels!!

Supermodels? Yeah, their kind of like Aliens or Spiders..Wait!! She can talk to Spider Supermodels!! Brilliant!! and and!! Then Wolverine Shows up!! Yeah? What's he going to do?

Slice things!!

Brilliant!!

Rikathos

I'd love the power to talk to supermodels. Well, yeah, talking to the color red sounds strangely appealing too. I think I need to get to sleep.