Valdorian Age Sorcery - eternal youth doable?

DrTemp

If a Valdorian Age sorcerer wanted to make himself biologically younger, how could (s)he achieve this?

Is there a supernatural being that can offer something like this, and what kind of it should it be- Elemental, Demon, Divine Servant, Ghost? Are there possibly even several paths of sorcery which could achieve such a goal?

Re: Valdorian Age Sorcery - eternal youth doable?

I would think that this would be absolutely counter to the powers granted by the spirits of the dead, and quite alien to the powers of elementals. Without reading through the description of Black Magic for a clause that would prevent it outright, I'd say that there is an arguement to be made for it. I would, however, say that perhaps Diving Magic is the best route to go for this, but which god's servants would provide the power, I couldn't say off the top of my head.

First, I really really love the Valdorian Age magic system. It is GREAT.

I really can't see the Elementals being able to do it. However, you could come up with valid reasons for any of the other powers being able to do it. Now, what those people would ask for in return...well....I don't want to know.

I don't know about ALL elemental powers being unable to provide eternal youth.... I keep thinking of the Ice Queen (or whatever she was called) from the Chronicles of Narnia (so very NOT S&S). Now, eternal youth without being a pale as death, perfectly preserved frozen form.. Talk to a god or demon.

They have this. It's called "Long Life" Talent. 2 points of Life Support to extend your life by a factor of 4/reduce aging to one-fourth.

It's explained as one of those miscellaneous/non-spell effects that sorcerors might buy because of their proximity to mystic forces.

Actual immortality might be one of those things the GM requires you to research as a plot device, and probably require you to become a villain. After all, if sacrificing virgins was enough, everybody would be doing it, assuming you can find enough virgins in the Valdorian Age. :D

JG

They have this. It's called "Long Life" Talent. 2 points of Life Support to extend your life by a factor of 4/reduce aging to one-fourth.

It's explained as one of those miscellaneous/non-spell effects that sorcerors might buy because of their proximity to mystic forces.

Yes, I know, but that's only "Long Life", not eternal youth. So it's simply not what I'm looking for.

Actual immortality might be one of those things the GM requires you to research as a plot device, and probably require you to become a villain. After all, if sacrificing virgins was enough, everybody would be doing it, assuming you can find enough virgins in the Valdorian Age. :D

Well, I actually asked because I _thought_ about an NPC (or several of them)... and I doubt that everybody would be doing it, really.

I mean, first of all, the sorcerer must know that such a supernatural being exists, and then how to summon it. Moreover, if sacrificing other humans was the only way to do it, many would let it be just out of moral reasons, even in the Valdorian Age.

[...] I would, however, say that perhaps Diving Magic is the best route to go for this,

SCUBA sorcery? :)

but which god's servants would provide the power, I couldn't say off the top of my head.

Well, there _is_ a goddess of life. That'd make sense to me.

From what I understand of the Sword&Sorcery genre' date=' I would presume the best magic for long life would be necromancy. The taking of life from younger people to fuel their own.[/quote']

How could the spirits of the dead as described in VA be able to do that? Sounds rather Turakian to me.

Yeah' date=' I'd say demonology is your best bet. Trade souls for life.[/quote']

Well, as far as I have unerstood, one could trade anything the demon desires, or even force the demon to do it by sheer power of will.

Would there be side effects if eternal youth was provided by a demon?

Well, as far as I have unerstood, one could trade anything the demon desires, or even force the demon to do it by sheer power of will.

Well I would think your soul for one and some sort of sacrifice, maybe once a month or year.

I don't know about ALL elemental powers being unable to provide eternal youth.... I keep thinking of the Ice Queen (or whatever she was called) from the Chronicles of Narnia (so very NOT S&S).

Interesting idea. So one could have different Elementals providing different versions of rejuvenation or eternal youth, with different side effects?

Well I would think your soul for one and some sort of sacrifice' date=' maybe once a month or year.[/quote']

I meant "side effect" as in "you become younger (or stay young), but also grow small horns on your back" or the like.

What exactly one can trade for a demon's service is written down in VA quite clearly, I believe. From that, I don't see something like what you describe as a prerequisite for a deal?

I meant "side effect" as in "you become younger (or stay young), but also grow small horns on your back" or the like.

What exactly one can trade for a demon's service is written down in VA quite clearly, I believe. From that, I don't see something like what you describe as a prerequisite for a deal?

Sorry I don't have the book and didn't know they had strict guide lines in place, I'm just going with what sounds good. As far as horns go I can't see why anyone would worry about being young if they happen to look like a young freak. On the plus side nothing says evil like a nice set of horns or maybe a demonic left hand. Sorry my post were not more help.

Well, I actually asked because I _thought_ about an NPC (or several of them)... and I doubt that everybody would be doing it, really.

I mean, first of all, the sorcerer must know that such a supernatural being exists, and then how to summon it. Moreover, if sacrificing other humans was the only way to do it, many would let it be just out of moral reasons, even in the Valdorian Age.

If the character is an NPC, you'd define how he got this ability anyway. And there should be a reason for it. He might be one of the last remaining Elves, or son of a god that abandoned Earth, with immortality his last remaining power.

If some type of sorcery is involved, it's most likely going to be nothing good (the theme explicitly stated in The Valdorian Age is that sorcery is "a power mankind was never intended to use"). Even Divine Magic is iffy, as gods tend to frown on mortals trying to become immortal, and the divine servants may exact some pretty heavy geasa/Favor conditions for gaining or maintaining immortality.

JG

I'd say it would be reasonable to gain extended life from Elemental spirits. They form the structure of the universe, and having agreements with powerful members of each of the four elements could allow one to balance these forces within the sorcerer to extend his life, possibly in conjunction with powerful medicinal potions. Of course, while you may not have to sacrifice souls to these creatures, they are destructive, and getting them to maintain one life would probably require allowing them to take many others, unless the sorcerer is very careful and very proficient.

If the character is an NPC, you'd define how he got this ability anyway. And there should be a reason for it.

Exactly. Such as: He is a powerful sorcerer.

(Well, actually the idea is more specific, the NPC possibly being a magic user from the beginning of the Turakian Age who managed to stay alive all the time, and who would possibly even manage to do this through the Valdorian Age, the Atlantean Age and all later eras of the Hero universe. Since Turakian magic becomes defunct in the VA, he will have to find a new way to stay alive then.)

If some type of sorcery is involved, it's most likely going to be nothing good (the theme explicitly stated in The Valdorian Age is that sorcery is "a power mankind was never intended to use"). [...]

Well, sorcery might be that, but it is there available for humans nevertheless. So the question is not "Should it be done?" but: "Can it be done?"

Exactly. Such as: He is a powerful sorcerer.

(Well, actually the idea is more specific, the NPC possibly being a magic user from the beginning of the Turakian Age who managed to stay alive all the time, and who would possibly even manage to do this through the Valdorian Age, the Atlantean Age and all later eras of the Hero universe. Since Turakian magic becomes defunct in the VA, he will have to find a new way to stay alive then.)

Hmmm. In which case the power is probably going to be pretty unique. He might even be a "mutant."

Well, sorcery might be that, but it is there available for humans nevertheless. So the question is not "Should it be done?" but: "Can it be done?"

Obviously if you want it, it can be done, but given how rare the method of immortality would be, it would probably imply some major consequences.

JG

I'm sure there would be. But the demon doesn't want your _soul_, that's just a myth. A misunderstanding. The demon wants your SPIRIT.

See, demons are rational, calculating, powerful entities with no direct experience of strong emotion. So in return for eternal life, he gets your spirit--your emotions, your urges, your zest for whatever makes life worth living.

So, yeah, you're immortal. Big flipping deal. You don't care. Now _you're_ the emotionless drone.

"Klytus, I'm boooooooored...."

DISCLAMER: The preceding probably has nothing to do with the Valdorian Age campaign world, but it's an idea I've toyed with for years for a fantasy game environment....

Well I would think your soul for one and some sort of sacrifice' date=' maybe once a month or year.[/quote']

I'm picutring a Dorian Gray sort of bargain. In other words, you retain your apparent youth but some object related to you that has your image becomes more and more decrepit. This is especially true if one of the conditions of your youth is that you perform an accelerating series of evil acts to appease the force that granted you your power.

And if the object (statue, painting, whatever) is destroyed for any reason, you instantly get all that age and decay in your real form, possibly even instantly dying of old age.

I don't know how you'd model that in game terms, but it worked for Oscar Wilde, who knew a good story when he saw one.

I'm picutring a Dorian Gray sort of bargain. In other words, you retain your apparent youth but some object related to you that has your image becomes more and more decrepit. This is especially true if one of the conditions of your youth is that you perform an accelerating series of evil acts to appease the force that granted you your power.

And if the object (statue, painting, whatever) is destroyed for any reason, you instantly get all that age and decay in your real form, possibly even instantly dying of old age.

I don't know how you'd model that in game terms, but it worked for Oscar Wilde, who knew a good story when he saw one.

I always really liked that story. I could not believe how many people had no idea who Dorian Gray was when LXG came out.