Pulp Hero Resources

TheQuestionMan

Re: Pulp Hero Resources

Not an "online" resource but I recently received my copy of "The Pulp Hero-Special Edition" By Nick Carr, published by "Wildcat Books" with short writeups on various characters ,both the famous ("Doc Savage", "G-8", "The Shadow", "Tarzan" etc) and the more obscure ("Captain Zero","Phineas Pinkham" and "Matalaa : The White Savage" for example). The web address of the publisher is given as http://www.lulu.com. (Er if someone who knows more about it than I could check that address out and post a link I would appreciate it !) Includes a section on "The Care and Feeding of Pulps" for serious collectors of the old magazines but so far I have only skimmed the contents.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another resource for Pulp (especially Pulp Weirdness) is "Adventures Unlimited Press) at http://www.wexclub.com/aup. They publish the work of David Hatcher Childress for a start but I have more recently got a copy of "In Secret Mongolia" by Henning Haslund, a reprint of a Danish explorer in Mongolia in the 1920's and '30's, which looks to be just FULL of ideas for a pulp adventure !

• 2 weeks later...

More on "Wild Cat Books" (referred to in my last post). Looks like a modern publisher who wants to revive the "pulp" genre. I have a novel er book of novellas/short stories (which I am reading at the moment)entitled "The Hounds Of Hell" by Ron Fortier and Gordon Linzner which features a confrontation between two pulp characters ;the evil "Doctor Satan" and the "Robin Hood" type "hero" "The Moon Man". They also publish reprints of the works of such writers as Sax Rohmer, H Rider Haggard and "Russell Thorndike ("Dr Syn : A smugglers Tale Of Romney Marsh") as well as new fiction featuring characters with names like "Brother Grim" and "Captain Spectre and the Lightning Legion" !

Don Carnage I presume?

Heh, no ... well, sort of.

I admire his style and his conveyances, and he is a snazzy dresser :thumbup:, but my inspirations are a little more old-school.

I've always like pirates. My favorite characters in games like traveller, twilight 2000 and flashing blades were pirates. I've always like airships, since movies like Hindenberg and Zeppelin. But what finally brought the two together was the Crimson Skies boardgame. :eg:

By the way, I see you're living up to your moniker.:P

:mercury::venus::earth::mars:

Heh, no ... well, sort of.

I admire his style and his conveyances, and he is a snazzy dresser :thumbup:, but my inspirations are a little more old-school.

I've always like pirates. My favorite characters in games like traveller, twilight 2000 and flashing blades were pirates. I've always like airships, since movies like Hindenberg and Zeppelin. But what finally brought the two together was the Crimson Skies boardgame.

Too bad that Crimson Skies cost so much otherwise it might have flown.

See yah

QM

Probably mentioned before but "Nostalgia Ventures, Inc" (P O Box 231183,Encinitas, CA 92023-1183) is reprinting "Doc Savage" and "The Shadow" in large size format for $U S 12.95. Two stories per issue. Web address given at the bottem of the 2nd page is http://www.nostalgiatown.com. So far i've got two "Doc Savage" and three "Shadow".

• 2 weeks later...

Plot synopsis for One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

While this was actually a comedy, it was set in the 20s and has a lot of elements that can be used in a pulp game: a secret formula, chase scenes, and kung fu fighting. Keep in mind that the Chinese agents were a bit stereotypical (this was made in the 70s), but it was a fun movie to watch. Here are a couple of spoilers.

The climax:

Lotus X turned out to be a chicken soup recipe!

My favorite recollection about the movie:

While the Chinese agents defeated the museum guards with their mastery of kung fu, they were no match for elderly nannies armed with handbags.

• 3 weeks later...

Noble Knight Games

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewManuf.asp_Q_CategoryID_E_0_A_GenreID_E_213

Arthaus, Paragon, & White Wolf

Secret of Zir'An, The

Edge of Midnight Press

Edge of Midnight, The

Fantasy Games Unlimited

Daredevils

Goodman Games

Etherscope (d20) (Goodman Games)

Green Ronin Publishing

Mutants & Masterminds (d20)

Grey Ghost Press

Terra Incognita

Hero Games

Pulp Hero (5th Edition)

I.C.E. (Iron Crown Enterprises)

Rolemaster Standard System (3rd Edition)

OtherWorld Creations

Forbidden Kingdoms (d20)

Pinnacle Entertainment Group

Pulp GM Toolkit (Savage Worlds)

GM Gear Toolkit (Savage Worlds)

Paragon Games

Secret of Zir'An, The

R. Talsorian

Dream Park

Rattrap Productions

.45 Adventure

Steve Jackson Games

GURPS (1st-3rd Edition) - Core & Assorted

Torchlight Games

Danger Quest

TSR

Agent 13 - The Midnight Avenger

Gangbusters

Indiana Jones

West End Games

Bloodshadows

D6 System - Core

World of Indiana Jones (West End Games)

White Wolf

Adventure!

Secret of Zir'An, The

Z-Man Games

Midway City

Cheers

QM

Dover Books' Architecture section (http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-architecture--interior-design--period-style.html) has lots of books with house plans from the Victorian Era (built pre-pulp, but probably still quite common during the Pulp Era) as well as a number with house plans from the 20's and at least one from the 30's. There are also at least a few books with things other than houses. I just ordered The Architecture of McKim, Mead & White in Photographs, Plans and Elevations, which includes plans for well-known museums and such and The Metropolis of Tomorrow published in 1929 and written by Ferris (the guy who invented the Ferris Wheel).

Also, Osprey Publishing (http://www.ospreypublishing.com/) has some nice books for this and other periods. The "Naval" section has books on WW I and WWW II submarines and the "Aviation" section has at least one Book on Zepplins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...