Media Darling

Just throwing this one out - a supehero who is pretty much the opposite of Peter Parket - someone who is a media darling - someone who gets positive press for basic things.

I was thinking a 3 pt perk, but wouldn't mind seeing others chime in with what kind of point cost would be approriate.

Re: Media Darling

There's a lot of things that could be done with this. A perk is one. I was also thinking about Luck or even Presence considerations. There could also be some sort of Disad: the person might have an Obssession with looking good. Vanity could be a disad in situations.

With that in mind, a 3-5 point perk would be appropriate.

Being a Media Darling is fairly significant.

Though, it may be temporary. The status may be temporary, much like a Fad...

There could also be some sort of Disad: the person might have an Obssession with looking good. Vanity could be a disad in situations.

Yeah the character in question has two 1 pt quirk disads* of "Is good looking and knows it" and "Loves the media Spotlight" :)

But he is being nice to the media, and they like him, so I thought having a perk would be appropriate.

* Yes stolen shamelessly from Gurps

How about paying for an appropriate positive reputation?

Yeah, that is one of the other things I was pondering, but I was seeing the idea is that whenever a news story is done about him (or his group) he always ends up looking good, wether he really did or not, which isn't really a rep, more a bonus trick kind of thing*, which is why I was thinking a perk - the rep would be gained for the general public after he has had a few news stories done about him. :)

But I knew I was missing something blindingly obvious. Thanks. :)

* in the same way the money perk allows to do things that are inderctly (or sometimes directly) helpful. Same kind of idea.

Media Whore

This being Hero...

Cost** Power END
30** All Publicity Is Good Publicity: Change Environment 1" radius, Long-Lasting 1 Week, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), MegaScale (1" = 100,000 km; +1 1/2) (105 Active Points); Extra Time (6 Hours, Only to Activate, -1 3/4), Requires A PRE Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -3/4)* 0

Not very cost effective, but fun to stat out.

Yeah' date=' good idea. That, too contribute to some presence aspects maybe?[/quote']

Yeah. He's got a 20 PRE now, but when he started to get a little better known (he's fairly new) I was going to get the reputation then.

And, Courtfool that was cool. :)

I ran a game (not my current game) that a player took a contact (20pt) who was the Society Editor for the Chicago Tribune. She was a great contact. Knew everyone who is anyone in Chicago's high society. I played her a middle-aged Dame Edna-type, complete with a bad British accent. A very great contact to get invites to "the" events in the city, she was friends with the mayor and police commissioner. She has friends in other departments of the newspaper that could give the player info. A great plot hook, and a great way for the player to get info. A perfect fit for a Media Darling player as DNPC or contact.

Just throwing this one out - a supehero who is pretty much the opposite of Peter Parket - someone who is a media darling - someone who gets positive press for basic things.

I was thinking a 3 pt perk, but wouldn't mind seeing others chime in with what kind of point cost would be approriate.

I had a player who took this. I think I charged Five Points for it... and it wasn't just that the press loved him... but that he had influence in negotiations, working with the cops, etc., based on the fact that he was wildly popular. The player seemed to think he got his points worth on that one. It was a big part of role playing the character, that was for sure.

I ran a game (not my current game) that a player took a contact (20pt) who was the Society Editor for the Chicago Tribune. She was a great contact. Knew everyone who is anyone in Chicago's high society. I played her a middle-aged Dame Edna-type' date=' complete with a bad British accent. A very great contact to get invites to "the" events in the city, she was friends with the mayor and police commissioner. She has friends in other departments of the newspaper that could give the player info. A great plot hook, and a great way for the player to get info. A perfect fit for a Media Darling player as DNPC or contact.[/quote']

20 points???

Yeah' date=' that is one of the other things I was pondering, but I was seeing the idea is that whenever a news story is done about him (or his group) he always ends up looking good, wether he really did or not, which isn't really a rep, more a bonus trick kind of thing*, which is why I was thinking a perk - the rep would be gained for the general public after he has had a few news stories done about him. :)[/quote']

There's always the "buy every reporter in town as a follower" tactic. That should cover the intent nicely. It might be hard to get the GM to sign off on it, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Mind Control, Megascale, Uncontrolled, Continuous, Journalists/"News Entertainers" only...1d6 ought to do...shut-down condition, "when the hero really blows it" or some other such thing that just breaks the ability to believe too much

:sneaky: and :doi: and :D

You know, it could also be a social limitation, as it could be a major annoyance... especially if the paparazi are always around... plus a possible hunted by the media?

Yeah, that is one of the other things I was pondering, but I was seeing the idea is that whenever a news story is done about him (or his group) he always ends up looking good, wether he really did or not, which isn't really a rep, more a bonus trick kind of thing*, which is why I was thinking a perk - the rep would be gained for the general public after he has had a few news stories done about him. :)

But I knew I was missing something blindingly obvious. Thanks. :)

* in the same way the money perk allows to do things that are inderctly (or sometimes directly) helpful. Same kind of idea.

I'm thinking a Reputation Perk is the best way to go here. For a Reputation Disad, I don't let a player's actual actions change his Rep for free, so if he has a Rep: Villian/Bad Rep From Media, that's just what happens no matter what (kinda like with Spiderman). I figure the same would happen in reverse for the Perk.

Granted, as with Spiderman, what the general public think of this character and how he's reported in the papers may be two different things. Despite his reputation, many people of NY saw Spiderman as a hero, not a villain.