Astrogator's Handbook

Nyrath

http://www.scifi-az.com/astronomy/astrogators_handbook.htm

This is sort of a 3-D atlas of local space. The basic book is a free PDF download, and includes 300 stars inside a 50 light year cube centered on Earth. The expanded version cost money, but it has 3500 stars in a 150 light-year cube.

The maps are fat "slices" of the cube, and include overview charts and tables listing the vital statistics of all the stars.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Astrogator's Handbook

The raw data for this exists for free, but you sorta have to know already what to do with it. If you know your trig and can do any programming you can make star maps easily. The problem, really, is presenting 3-d maps in a way which a reader can understand quickly.

There's a cut-down version of one of the requisite data files hanging off

http://www.sci.wsu.edu/math/faculty/jbrown/welcome.html

Look a few lines down (search for "HIPPARCOS catalog file"); there's links to a big compressed flat-text file and a brief explanatory file.

Except for the "problem" that Excel chokes after about 65,000 lines, you could take that flat-text file (once it's uncompressed) and load it into Excel and get what you want. It includes the three Sun-centered spherical coordinates (RA and dec being the two angles) and the parallax, which is easy to turn into the distance. There are ID numbers of the stars presented and their spectral types, but no fancy names. I did my best to cut that text file down to 80 columns wide. That old page of mine is still up, but I left there years ago, so I cannot alter or update that page anymore.

The raw data for this exists for free, but you sorta have to know already what to do with it. If you know your trig and can do any programming you can make star maps easily. The problem, really, is presenting 3-d maps in a way which a reader can understand quickly.

Still another source for various kinds of software to produce 3D star maps (some game oriented, some not).

http://www.projectrho.com/starmap.html

• 1 month later...

A few years back, there was a RPG entitled "Universe" (published by one of those game companies that put out very complex strategic games). It was mostly unplayable as an RPG, but it had one playing aid that made it worth the money to me.

This was a large, fold-out poster map of space, showing every star within 50LY of Sol/Terra. The main feature of this map was that it was based on actual astronomical data, and it showed the X-Y-Z coordinates of each star with a mathematical formula which would calculate the distance between any two stars.

I got quite a lot of use out of that map in my Traveller-based Near Earth games.

Thank you, thank you! I'll take credit for originally exposing everyone on the boards to this most excellent resource.

Of course, I got the link myself from Nyrath's page, so it all comes full circle in the end... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

A few years back, there was a RPG entitled "Universe" (published by one of those game companies that put out very complex strategic games). It was mostly unplayable as an RPG, but it had one playing aid that made it worth the money to me.

This was a large, fold-out poster map of space, showing every star within 50LY of Sol/Terra. The main feature of this map was that it was based on actual astronomical data, and it showed the X-Y-Z coordinates of each star with a mathematical formula which would calculate the distance between any two stars.

I got quite a lot of use out of that map in my Traveller-based Near Earth games.

IIRC, the Traveller: 2300 RPG had a fold-out star map as well.

Major Tom :earth:

It might have been the StarMaster box set. While it had Sol in it I cannot remember if they stuck to only real stars or added/renamed. Really good RPG map though.

It might have been the StarMaster box set. While it had Sol in it I cannot remember if they stuck to only real stars or added/renamed. Really good RPG map though.

I dug around in my old game bag and found it. The title of the game is indeed "Universe", and it was published by SSI. If you can find one in used condition (with the map intact), it's worth buying for that.:thumbup:

I dug around in my old game bag and found it. The title of the game is indeed "Universe"' date=' and it was published by SSI. If you can find one in used condition (with the map intact), it's worth buying for that.:thumbup:[/quote']

Now that us mention SSI. I think I remember the game. Sorry to say it isn't one I actually have.

There were quite a few games with reasonably accurate starmaps. Alas, all are out of print.

These include Traveller 2300 by GDW, Bug Hunters / Amazing Engine by TSR (NOT to be confused with Bug Hunter (no "s") / Sniper supplement), The Company War by Mayfair Games, Explored Space by Nightshift Games, FTL:2448 by Tri Tac Systems, StarForce Alpha Centauri by SPI, Universe by SPI, and Web And Starship by West End Games.

The one in Universe is my personal favorite.

There were quite a few games with reasonably accurate starmaps. Alas' date=' all are out of print.[/quote']

That's what eBay is for.

Why is it that I seem to be picking up all those games I wanted to get when I was young, but decided not to spend the money on? They're almost all more expensive now. (I say "almost" because Powers and Perils is universally cheaper!)

Anyway, back on topic. I know there have been a large number of tiny print-run, one-shot Sci Fi games by small publishers (er, now I'm drawing a blank; what about Stellar Conquest from Metagaming?) I always used to wonder if any of them had really good starmaps. Anybody know?

That's what eBay is for.

Why is it that I seem to be picking up all those games I wanted to get when I was young, but decided not to spend the money on? They're almost all more expensive now. (I say "almost" because Powers and Perils is universally cheaper!)

Anyway, back on topic. I know there have been a large number of tiny print-run, one-shot Sci Fi games by small publishers (er, now I'm drawing a blank; what about Stellar Conquest from Metagaming?) I always used to wonder if any of them had really good starmaps. Anybody know?

Stellar Conquest was a Avalon Hill Bookcase game. Looking at my copy as we speak :D But it's starmap was a made up one.

Anyway' date=' back on topic. I know there have been a large number of tiny print-run, one-shot Sci Fi games by small publishers (er, now I'm drawing a blank; what about [i']Stellar Conquest[/i] from Metagaming?) I always used to wonder if any of them had really good starmaps. Anybody know?

I'm pretty sure that the ones I listed are the only with good starmaps. FTL:2448 is the one from the smallest publisher.

If there is one I had not listed, I want to know about it so I can add it to my list.

You can see swatches of the maps here:

http://www.projectrho.com/smap10.html

(scroll down)

• 2 weeks later...

I was digging around in my old files yesterday and I found a .PDF file from SCI FI-ARIZONA entitled Astrogator's Handbook - Practical Astrogation for Science Fiction Writers by Michael McCollum. This is/was a freely-distributable e-book, and I would be happy to send it to whoever would be able to host it on their website.

This book has star charts for a 50 LY cube centered on Sol, with a listing of 272 stars within that cube. The list table shows all the data about the star, including its X-Y-Z coordinates. If any of you mathematically-inclined folks happen to know the equation for determining the distance between two points in three-dimensional space, you could use those coordinates to find the distance between any two stars on the charts.

BTW, if you know that equation, please post it here. I know its on my Universe map, but that's in a box under my bed... and I just DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE!

Hell... I just noticed that this is the file that started this thread... forgive my stupidity...

I was digging around in my old files yesterday and I found a .PDF file from SCI FI-ARIZONA entitled Astrogator's Handbook - Practical Astrogation for Science Fiction Writers by Michael McCollum. This is/was a freely-distributable e-book, and I would be happy to send it to whoever would be able to host it on their website.

This book has star charts for a 50 LY cube centered on Sol, with a listing of 272 stars within that cube. The list table shows all the data about the star, including its X-Y-Z coordinates. If any of you mathematically-inclined folks happen to know the equation for determining the distance between two points in three-dimensional space, you could use those coordinates to find the distance between any two stars on the charts.

BTW, if you know that equation, please post it here. I know its on my Universe map, but that's in a box under my bed... and I just DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE!

Hell... I just noticed that this is the file that started this thread... forgive my stupidity...

distance = SQUARE ROOT[ (x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 + (z1 - z2)^2 ]

What's the date on the book, out of idle curiosity?

There were quite a few games with reasonably accurate starmaps. Alas, all are out of print.

These include Traveller 2300 by GDW, Bug Hunters / Amazing Engine by TSR (NOT to be confused with Bug Hunter (no "s") / Sniper supplement), The Company War by Mayfair Games, Explored Space by Nightshift Games, FTL:2448 by Tri Tac Systems, StarForce Alpha Centauri by SPI, Universe by SPI, and Web And Starship by West End Games.

The one in Universe is my personal favorite.

Traveller 2300AD is now available as a free pdf download on DriveThruRPG.com.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=413&&affiliate_id=22291

EDIT - I should mention, it'll only be available for a limited time, so download your watermarked copy today!