invisible, desolid follower

Foxx!

Heroes!

I want to make a character who has a Follower. The Follower is a pixie who is Invisible to all senses and Desolid to everyone, but only the character can see and hear her. I’m wondering how to design this. Here are some ideas.

1: The character buys Mind Link with the pixie with a Limition ‘works as normal sight and hearing'. Seeing and hearing the pixie is just SFX of the power.

2: Character buys Detect: Pixie Follower with Discriminatory and define it as sight and hearing based sense.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Re: invisible, desolid follower

What exactly do you want the follower to be able to do?

If he can only give you advice, you could just buy a bunch of skills and skill levels with the SFX "My invisible pixie friend". Or you could buy him as an AI with a mind link if your GM allowed it.

Psychological limitation: common total (schitzophrenea "Has in invisible incoporeal pixie following him wherever he goes and no one can see, hear, or touch the incoporeal Fairy")

+20 points

Of course the doctors always give him extra iron pills that make the Fairy go away cuz everyone knows pixies hate iron right. Except that he likes the pixie and how it gives him reasurring comments and makes his life happy. Especially since the day atentacled monster from the abysmal depths dragged his girlfriend away while they where dating one night. He can still here her screams sometimes but pixie makes it all better in his lil impish way.

see invisible incoporeal pixie that give you points :D

If he can only give you advice, you could just buy a bunch of skills and skill levels with the SFX "My invisible pixie friend". Or you could buy him as an AI with a mind link if your GM allowed it.

Mainly the Follower is a spy and lookout for the character, but I want to use her as a full character.

Cheers!

Mainly the Follower is a spy and lookout for the character, but I want to use her as a full character.

Cheers!

Tricky. In a lower-powered campaign, if I were worried about balance, I'd ask you to buy Clairsentience and whatever other powers you wanted the "Pixie" to use, and then define them as "my invisible pixie". An invisible desolid follower is a very powerful trick. In a higher powered campaign, I'd just ask you to vuy a mind link with the pixie, with the SFX being that you could see and hear it.

By all of the appropriate Powers with a -0 Limitation "Not Versus [Character]"

I'd like to use that, but I really think it's an Advantage in this case.

Tricky. In a lower-powered campaign' date=' if I were worried about balance, I'd ask you to buy Clairsentience and whatever other powers you wanted the "Pixie" to use, and then define them as "my invisible pixie". An invisible desolid follower is a very powerful trick. In a higher powered campaign, I'd just ask you to vuy a mind link with the pixie, with the SFX being that you could see and hear it.[/quote']

It's a low power fantasy campaign, but there are going to be people who can detect and attack the pixie, so I'll use Mind Link.

Cheers!

Or, you could give the pixie Mental Images (Only to create images and sounds of the pixie itself).

I'm assuming that the pixie can manifest itself to anyone it wants to, selectively.

"Detect Faeries", would be another way to go.

Or, you could give the pixie Mental Images (Only to create images and sounds of the pixie itself).

I'm assuming that the pixie can manifest itself to anyone it wants to, selectively.

"Detect Faeries", would be another way to go.

The pixie cannot choose who sees her. She is visible to the character because of some connection that is not yet understood. She is also visible to anyone using an appropriate power: Detect Insivible, etc.

I thought Images cannot target a single person but are visible to anyone.

Cheers!

One option is for the owning character to buy personal immunity on the Follower for +1/4. This represents the fact that the pixie's magic just doesn't work on him.

You may want to limit the advantage to only include the Invisiblity Power, buying the advantage on just those points of the total.

Rather cheap, but it represents what you want nicely.

You may already be aware of this, but be careful of the invisiblity+desolid powers. Few things can so quickly wreck a game.

On the other hand, a invisible desolid pixie with the right psy limits can be really fun- and only break the plot line when the plot line is supposed to be broken.

Psy Limit: Will only advise using vague clues and/or riddles: Common, Greatly Limiting....

Tricky. In a lower-powered campaign' date=' if I were worried about balance, I'd ask you to buy Clairsentience and whatever other powers you wanted the "Pixie" to use, and then define them as "my invisible pixie". An invisible desolid follower is a very powerful trick. In a higher powered campaign, I'd just ask you to vuy a mind link with the pixie, with the SFX being that you could see and hear it.[/quote']

Clairsentience, N-Ray Vision, All non-ranged senses usable at range (except perhaps touch). Maybe even Eidetic Memory so she can remind you of things you've forgotten.

Much cheaper (and less exploitive) than a follower with such a unique power-set.

Invisible + desolidification is so broke. If I were the GM I wold not allow you to have that.

Just think your character can now gets full Intel in any base, floor plan, follow and report on any character you want. This would totally ruin most scenario's for both the GM and the other players. I had a player beg for this and I gave in with some HUGE built in disadvantages with no refund points. Even with the disadvantages it really hurt the game over all. I would seriously reconsider using this combination.

I love the idea of a colorful fairly helper, but would create it with contacts, perks, and or luck. It would be much cheeper and could add lots of flavor to the game. Your fairy would be a fun, cute, invisible and helper!

That combo just ruins the game for everyone' date=' that is broke.[/quote']

Works fine for mine.

Sorry you can't find the balance for yours. Of course, denying that there is a possible balance is likely your first and largest problem in that area.

If he can only give you advice, you could just buy a bunch of skills and skill levels with the SFX "My invisible pixie friend".

This is exactly how I would approach it. Unless there are times when the Pixie would be unavailable, or unwilling/able to help the character, then an invisible desolid pixie sounds mostly like a special effect. :)

Define what benefit you want to gain from having the pixie follower, and simply buy the traits that give you those benefits, calling the resuling SFX "my invisible desolid pixie".

If you really want to pursue the "it's actually a pixie" angle, then build the Pixie with all the relevant powers (and their hefty costs), and have the character buy the Follower normally. Whether their communication should be based on Mind Link or Detect would depend on whether the oddity resides in the character or the pixie.

In other words, if the character can see and hear the pixie because the pixie wants it that way, then I'd suggest giving the pixie Mind Link. If the character can see and hear the pixie because the character is special in some way, then I'd suggest giving the character Detect.

In any case, I wouldn't allow (as a GM) any Limitation on the Invisibility that it doesn't work against the character, or Limitation on the Mind Link that it only simulates sight and sound, etc. The fact that only the character can see and hear the pixie is a benefit; it shouldn't save anyone points on anything, IMO. :)

This is exactly how I would approach it. Unless there are times when the Pixie would be unavailable, or unwilling/able to help the character, then an invisible desolid pixie sounds mostly like a special effect. :)

Define what benefit you want to gain from having the pixie follower, and simply buy the traits that give you those benefits, calling the resuling SFX "my invisible desolid pixie".

If you really want to pursue the "it's actually a pixie" angle, then buy the Pixie with all the relevant powers (and their hefty costs), and have the character buy the Follower normally. Whether their communication should be based on Mind Link or Detect would depend on whether the oddity resides in the character or the pixie.

In other words, if the character can see and hear the pixie because the pixie wants it that way, then I'd say use Mind Link. If the character can see and hear the pixie because the character is special in some way, then use Detect.

In any case, I wouldn't allow (as a GM) any Limitation on the Invisibility that it doesn't work against the character, or Limitation on the Mind Link that it only simulates sight and sound, etc. The fact that only the character can see and hear the pixie is a benefit; it shouldn't save anyone points on anything, IMO. :)

Derek Hiemforth!

Thank you! This detailed reply helps a lot, especially the reasons for using Mind Link or Detect. I haven’t decided everything about them, but they became friends because the character was already able to see and hear the pixie. Based on that evidence and your explanation, I think Detect is more appropriate.

Yes, sometimes the pixie will be unable or unwilling to help: when she's out of voice range, Mind Controlled, unconscious, upset with the character, etc. There is more that I want to do with her than just the powers.

About the Limitation on Mind Link, what I meant is that the character needs to speak and hear with normal sense: everyone can hear what he says to the pixie, power limited by voice range, loud noise and walls will block communication, etc.

Cheers!