Is Power Girl/Kara Starr the DCUs Gladiator?

Hawksmoor

Re: Is Power Girl/Kara Starr the DCUs Gladiator?

There is something big coming up with Superman's timeline. The reason I say this is about a four months ago in the LSV story in Superman and Batman I beleive the Earth-1 pre-crisis Superman is the one talking with Mentron trying to get the time line fixed...NOT a future verison the current Superman. Reasoning for this is that when the time line repaired itself he did not fade but became a mustaced farmer whos wife Lois called to him "Get in her Man of Tomorrow" He answered back "No one has called me that for years Lois". This character was the man who Earth-1 Superman became after he used Gold K on himself for "killing" Mxyptlk He married His Lois and setted on a farm in Nebraska (This is the Last story before the Superman reboot Curt Swan's Swan song).

The missing Wonder Woman in the JSA story line got me thinking that their needs to be a missing Superman story line as well. I think Infinate Crisis is that Story.

Edited out Major Grammer errors, Leaving only minor ones I hope.

Could be, although I had assumed that he was the Earth-2 Superman. (At the end of Crisis, Alex Luthor took the Earth-2 Superman and Lois Lane into a little pocket universe so that they didn't vanish out of continuity with the rest of Earth-2. I think it is may also be this Superman who appears briefly at the end of Kingdom.)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be' date=' although I had assumed that he was the Earth-2 Superman. (At the end of Crisis, Alex Luthor took the Earth-2 Superman and Lois Lane into a little pocket universe so that they didn't vanish out of continuity with the rest of Earth-2. I think it is may also be this Superman who appears briefly at the end of Kingdom.)[/quote']

The only reason I think it is the Earth-1 Superman is the child sitting at Lois' feet in the Superman/Batman LSV story 'looks' like the one at the end of the Curt Swan story. It could be retconed in that the pocket universe rejuvinated Lois and Clark so they could have a family also(they where in their 60's when they where pulled into the pocket universe. We may see what will happen.

Alright back to the point of my original thread. I am getting JSA Unclassified #2 this week.

I just read #1

I am back at my original thesis.

Powergirl can do whatever she wants to do...

Her unbridled self confidence, and the resultant powerloss when she is shaken imply that he mind has a lot to do with her powers.

Hawksmoor

I am back at my original thesis.

Powergirl can do whatever she wants to do...

Her unbridled self confidence, and the resultant powerloss when she is shaken imply that he mind has a lot to do with her powers.

But did you read Supergirl #1?

In it -- as PG comments in JSA Classified #2 -- when in proximity to or touching Supergirl, PG's powers go into overdrive.

However, the presence of Supergirl actually is making PG less confident, because she's questioning her "not Superman's cousin" status.

They are about to do Power Girl's "definitive" origin in JSA Classified. Should spill the beans on her powers also. Geoff Johns, the writer, really needs to get his ego back in the box though. He completely invalidated the origin that her creator Paul Kupperberg gave her. Paul was the one that first introduced her as Earth 2's Supergirl and he did her post-Crisis, Arion's my grandpa revamp in Secret Origins. I have some hatred also for Gerard Jones, who surgically depowered PG in JLEurope, and Bart Sears, who drew her as a Penthouse Comics sight gag.

It would be amusing if she was DC's Gladiator. John Byrne made Gladiator's powers will based, carried the concept over to DC with The Man of Steel and it was jettisoned when they ramped Supes back up to pre-Crisis power levels. Perfectly good power justification just lying around DC's offices.

Definitive, right. Until the next retcon or reboot. Or the next editor that doesn't read this miniseries.

However, the presence of Supergirl actually is making PG less confident, because she's questioning her "not Superman's cousin" status.

Maybe the presence of her counterpart reinforces her self image in some obscure fashion. The subconscious is a funny place.

In the pre-crisis Legion timeline didn't they retcon Dev-Em (formerly a Kryptonian released from the Phantom zone) into a titanian who gave himself Kryptonian powers by wanting them really, really, bad?

Theoretically, Power Girl could have the same power source, if not actual origin.

In the pre-crisis Legion timeline didn't they retcon Dev-Em (formerly a Kryptonian released from the Phantom zone) into a titanian who gave himself Kryptonian powers by wanting them really, really, bad?

Theoretically, Power Girl could have the same power source, if not actual origin.

That wasn't pre-Crisis, it was post-Crisis, and IIRC post-Zero Hour as well. Which was one Legion reboot ago.

That wasn't pre-Crisis' date=' it was post-Crisis, and IIRC post-Zero Hour as well. Which was one Legion reboot ago.[/quote']

You sure?

I thought that it was in the pre-crisis continuity, after the crisis, but before they retconned it into the (first) post crisis continuity.

I could easliy be wrong, It's been a while since I read those old issues.

You sure?

I thought that it was in the pre-crisis continuity, after the crisis, but before they retconned it into the (first) post crisis continuity.

Actually, It's Post CRISIS, Pre TMKboot. Dev-Em's 'new' (ie, Titanian) origin was explained in his entry in Who's Who in the Legion. Dev-Em's Daxamite origin (not to mention his lousy haircut - I can see why he went bad) was unveiled during the 'Time & Time Again' Arc in the Superman books, which interacted with the TMK Legion (and ended up with the Moon being blown up).

• 1 month later...

Off the top of my head, I'd say that's Alexander Luthor, the Golden Age Superman & Lois, Superboy (of Earth-Prime, I believe...it's been a long time since I read Crisis) and, of course, Power Girl.

So...wild guess here...Power Girl is going to turn out to be the child of the Golden Age Superman & Lois, conceived and born in the place Alexander Luthor shunted them to after the death of the Anti-Monitor, right? :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head' date=' I'd say that's Alexander Luthor, the Golden Age Superman & Lois, Superboy (of Earth-Prime, I believe...it's been a long time since I read [i']Crisis[/i]) and, of course, Power Girl.

So...wild guess here...Power Girl is going to turn out to be the child of the Golden Age Superman & Lois, conceived and born in the place Alexander Luthor shunted them to after the death of the Anti-Monitor, right? :rolleyes:

LOL Which in this case would make her the daughter of her own first cousin, as she is originally from Earth 2 (as are Golden Age Kal and Lois).

That's even better than the joking around about Kal and Kara at work! "Shame Kal's rocket didn't land in West Virginia or Kentucky, for then having a 15 year old first cousin as the only other survivor from Krypton would be no impediment to propogating the Kryptonian race."

This line of joking goes on to include Kal having a mullet, 3 rusted out cars in his front lawn hidden by weeds, trailer, 7 dogs on the porch, squirrel hunting with his heat ray vision, stealing hubcaps at superspeed for resell, and other tasteless jokes that make the late night work shift pass much faster. :D

Actually events that have led up to the lauch of Infinite Crisis are hinting more and more that the mini series is going to undo much of what the original Crisis did. At the very least its going to cause more characters in the DCU to remember the truth of what happened.

Spoilers ----

In the final issue of the Return of Donna Troy. Donna has become the lastest incarnation of Harbinger and now remembers ALL of her lives in each of the Earth - (number and alphabet soup).

But-but-but what about hypertime??? and Zero Hour??? and-and-and all that... stuff?

Keith "I'm moving to Earth-π" Curtis

From what I hear, one of the major points of Infinite Crisis is that the original Crisis did not properly merge the earths. Thus, I suspect that Zero Hour and the very concept of Hypertime are a result of the unstable universe that resulted. This would explain why folks from DC have said that Hypertime is a dead conept -- once the universe is stabilized, there will be no more Hypertime.

Rod

From what I hear, one of the major points of Infinite Crisis is that the original Crisis did not properly merge the earths. Thus, I suspect that Zero Hour and the very concept of Hypertime are a result of the unstable universe that resulted. This would explain why folks from DC have said that Hypertime is a dead conept -- once the universe is stabilized, there will be no more Hypertime.

Rod

Until somebody needs it for a story. Or they invent some other silly thing to explain things that can't really be explained anyway.

Comics used to have crises all the time. The difference ws that nobody cared.

Keith "old comics codger" Curtis

Off the top of my head' date=' I'd say that's Alexander Luthor, the Golden Age Superman & Lois, Superboy (of Earth-Prime, I believe...it's been a long time since I read [i']Crisis[/i]) and, of course, Power Girl.

Actually, what I'm guessing is that they will be returing to her original origin - the cousin of the Earth-2 Superman who "slipped through the cracks" during Crisis much teh same way Donna Troy did (the end of the recent Donna Troy mini revealed that she is actually the pre-Crisis Earth-1 Donna Troy).

Until somebody needs it for a story. Or they invent some other silly thing to explain things that can't really be explained anyway.

Comics used to have crises all the time. The difference ws that nobody cared.

Keith "old comics codger" Curtis

True enough. But if their "stabilized universe" is a return to the old Multiple Earths model that many of us knew, loved, and never had any trouble keeping straight, then there would be no need for Hypertime. And if you consider that the folks shown on the last page escaping from their pocket dimension are representative of Earths 2, 3, and Prime, then you have all the symbolic groundwork you need right there for re-establishing the old multiverse.