New Campaign

Fitz

I've started a new (old) FH campaign based on a bunch of really old stuff I created originally for an AD&D campaign about 25 years ago. It's really mainly an excuse for my wife and I to convert our old favourite AD&D characters to Hero and do some occasional old-school high fantasy gaming.

I've started a page for it on my website here.

There's not a lot there as yet, just some old maps, price lists, character creation guidelines, and the beginnings of a campaign journal. Over time I intend to create some sort of gazeteer for the world, which may possibly be of some use to someone. The maps are kind of pretty, if I do say so myself, though they're hopelessly amateurish compared to what I'd do nowadays :) Now that I've got them scanned I'll start tinkering with them a bit and see what comes out.

Re: New Campaign

Your "Social Limitation:Adventurer" is right on the money, I'm shocked that it isn't in Fantasy HERO or that most people (including me) don't use it already. (Although a claim could be made that it's already there, just worth 0 points in most games...)

Rob

P.S. Nice Maps

Hey! I *remember* those maps!

That's the game where Caille the Paladin got snowed in by a blizzard after fooishly chasing someone or other into the wilderness and had to kill and eat her faithful warhorse :(

Really? I have absolutely no memory of that at all, but it is the sort of thing I'd do to players :)

The maps are great - is that watercolor with pen & ink?

Yep, for the southern map. The northern lands were just inks, and I was using a super-duper concentrated type of ink by Maimeri which I found terrifically hard to control (though the paper didn't help; it's legal parchment which has a very hard, smooth surface). The scan is lightened a lot. These days I'd stick entirely to watercolour and use decent 400gsm 100% rag hot-press paper -- Fabriano do some very nice ones.

The maps are better than you're giving them credit, I think. They totally conjur a Tolkein feel to them and sometimes, it's nice to provide players the types of map that a High-Fantasy culture would actually produce. :)

Interesting character sheets. Did you design them straight into HTML or is that an export template from HeroDesigner? If it's an export template, can you share?

I can but echo the comments of my esteemed colleagues:

Nice maps! I wouldn't change 'em if I were you. Maybe more specific local maps for area the PCs run into, but keep those for the overall feel.

I like the "Social Lim: Adventurer" disad, as well, and will be incorporating that into my own future campaign.

The character sheets are nicely formatted (got an HD template for those?)

Overall feel is very cool. Nicely done!

Now that I've had more of a chance to look around the site I have a question and a comment:

The Question is, as things are written for your magic guidelines does this mean if I have a Mana Pool with 50 END, I also have to buy 50 REC to go with it? (At a -3 lim, of course.)

The comment is that I too admire your character sheets (and would love a Hero Designer template for them if you had it lying around), and the reason is because you did the one thing I haven't seen done on a character sheet before, you put the character story and disadvanages first. Someone once said a character's flaws are what really determine who they are and what makes them different, and your choice of placing the disadvantages in the upper left like that really works into this. Color me impressed!

Rob

The maps are better than you're giving them credit' date=' I think. They totally conjur a Tolkein feel to them and sometimes, it's nice to provide players the types of map that a High-Fantasy culture would actually produce. :)[/quote']

Well, I only think they're comparatively crappy :) I'm a professional graphic artist, so my standards for my own work has to be high.

Interesting character sheets. Did you design them straight into HTML or is that an export template from HeroDesigner? If it's an export template, can you share?

They're from a HD export -- I'll put it up on the site you you can pillage it. There's a PNG in there (for the HitLoc chart) that has to go in the same directory as the html file.

The Question is' date=' as things are written for your magic guidelines does this mean if I have a Mana Pool with 50 END, I also have to buy 50 REC to go with it? (At a -3 lim, of course.)[/quote']

You don't have to buy 50 REC, but you do have to use the Slow Recovery (per day) limitation, so buying less REC would probably become a pain in the backside pretty quickly :)