What Other Pulp Hero Books Would You Like To See?

Steve Long

Re: What Other Pulp Hero Books Would You Like To See?

Certainly if the DHAs do well enough' date=' maybe we'll collect 'em up and print 'em in book form. Heck, maybe we'll print 'em on newsprint to keep the price low and simulate that Pulp feel. ;)[/quote']Hey'd I'd sure buy that! :thumbup:
While I don't have any other ideas for mini-settings like Solar Smith in mind at present, I'll let the concept rattle around in my noggin for a while. Maybe something will pop out. :hex:
Once I have PH and a couple of supplements in hand I probably could at least come up with some ideas for you to flesh out (if not cook up the fleshing myself... I'm very often thought of as a flesh in the pan). ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay; I'm late to get in on this thread, but it was dear enough to me that I quit lurking and joined just to post here.

Any support at all for Pulp HERO would be great, no doubt, but I have a fear that the 'supers' angle will ultimately drown out Heroic level support. Granted, it made the company-- and I certainly won't mind seeing it dominate the support, but I'd like to see continued support for 'normals' campaigns if the genre is a success.

In particular, I am drawn to realistic (in a relative sense, of course) type campaigns, taking place in American cities, with a down-play on the ray-gun stuff (funny, consdering how much I love steampunk).

Though I am so in love with the idea of the art deco spaceship that I can't stop thinking about it! I've alread laid out deck plans for the ballroom, dining room, and wheelhouse.... Hmmmm...... I don't care to risk the name _Titanic_, however.....

Duke

(Oh, and a warm "hello again" to Derrick H, a few years overdue)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll go along with the requests for prehistoric/hollow earth type stuff, but I can sum it up in two words:

Sleestak Hero! :D

Oh, you know I'd love that one.

I'd also throw another vote on for a couple very serious location books--detailing someplace like San Francisco, or like the Maravella Islands--a nice South Pacific, or South China Sea island chain. Some gun runners, a mysterious island shrouded in fog, with a skull-shaped moutain, Nazi volcano bases--the works.

Oh' date=' you [i']know[/i] I'd love that one.

I'd also throw another vote on for a couple very serious location books--detailing someplace like San Francisco, or like the Maravella Islands--a nice South Pacific, or South China Sea island chain. Some gun runners, a mysterious island shrouded in fog, with a skull-shaped moutain, Nazi volcano bases--the works.

In other words, Pulp Hero Battlegrounds!

This is a must-have.

Keep in mind we already have Thrilling Locations on the schedule for next year. It's sort of a "Pulp Hero Battlegrounds," I suppose, though equally useful for players in some ways. It's not likely to focus on real-world locations per se; that would be a different book (or series of books) that would require a lot of research.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but what about a Weird Science version of Gadgets and Gear, or a Mystic or Psychic Powers add-on like the UTIL Superpowers Database...

Jak

This would be a great idea, even if they were combined into one book of Pulp weirdness. Psychics, Sorcerors, and Steam Engines maybe....

What about a Steampunk subgenre book?

I'd also like seeing some of the basic work we've sene done with the other genres, i.e., a villains book, a location/Hero Universe setting book, and something about Pulp gadgets and/or talents would be cool. That aside, I'm willing to wait and see what HG comes up with.

I guess I keep leaning toward Victorian Hero as our campaign appears to fall just before Pulp but just after Victorian, ie 1905. Given how much research I have been doing myself, however, I could just as well take some of the excellent Pulp Hero book concepts (timelines, maps, archtypes, etc) and just back up the dates covered for our campaign.

I'll back the folks who want a Mars/Venus/Hollow Earth supplement, outside of the Champions Universe, but then I've never been a fan of the concept that everything has to fit into the CU.

Mars has an ancient if decaying civilization, using technology they've forgotten how to produce. Venus is more or less in the stone age, with dinosaur like creatures all over. Oh yes, and Mars destroyed what used to be the fifth planet to produce our asteroid belt.

This would be a great idea' date=' even if they were combined into one book of Pulp weirdness. Psychics, Sorcerors, and Steam Engines maybe....[/quote']That title's more of an Enemies book title (though not a bad one, at that). Personally I like Pulp Weirdness or maybe From the Mystic Vaults.

We're not going to do that; Pulp SF and its settings are an entirely separate subject' date=' one worthy of its own book if there's enough interest (see my post above). TP will remain confined to Earth, though obviously it's going to include some places that don't actually exist on the real Earth (sadly... we really need an island full of dinosaurs!). ;.[/quote']

Hmm... in all seriousness, take a look at GURPS Places of Mystery. It (to me) was an excellent book and showed how the subject should be done (a little history, maps, adventure seeds, and so on).

Actually, something just came to me -- a HERO version of GURPS Atomic Horror. Granted, that was 1950s, and Pulp is circa 1910 to 1940, but a "strange invaders and 'things man was not meant to know'" sourebook would nice. Although that might be hitting the domain of Horror Hero.

Guest George Kirby

I just had a vision of a Hollow Earth Pulp Hero campaign setting . . . Roald Amundssen and Robert F. Scott's South Pole expeditions are both very overdue for return. A rescue/relief/investigatory effort is being assembled, and guess who's being hand-picked for the job . . .

Or is 1913 too early to be pulp?

I'll second this, if it hasn't already been seconded (I admit I haven't read the entire thread before replying). A good Hollow Earth setting can fit your "island full of dinosaurs" need, plus give you the "hidden empire full of tribesman worshipping alien gods" quotient. It can also be the hiding place of Doctor Bizarro, from which he strikes vengeance on a surface world too ignorant and foolish to immediately declare him ruler!

And the best bit is this: not only could you use such a setting for your pulp adventures, you can use it as a setting for adventures in pretty much any other genre/time period!

I'd like to see a book--or perhaps a folder--of replica train tickets, hotel menus, business cards, advertisements, packaging, matchbooks, sheet music, betting slips, driver's licenses, bills of sale, manifests--all that kind of detrius and marginalia. You can find just a little on the web. You can find some in collections. But it would be nice to have enough excellent reproductions in one place at one time to get a feel for what everyday life looked like.

I'd like to see a book--or perhaps a folder--of replica train tickets' date=' hotel menus, business cards, advertisements, packaging, matchbooks, sheet music, betting slips, driver's licenses, bills of sale, manifests--all that kind of detrius and marginalia. You can find just a little on the web. You can find some in collections. But it would be nice to have enough excellent reproductions in one place at one time to get a feel for what everyday life looked like.[/quote']

One of the things I liked about Chaosium CoC adventures was the replica items they included. Made for great props.

If you want props like train tickets' date=' passports, luggage tags, etc., just buy the Props collection from the HP Lovecraft Historical Society. They're all PDF so you can print out and make your own. They even give some away for free on their website.[/quote']

Those are great. But y'know . . . if you look at the level of detail represented in Hudson City or Pulp Hero, it's an order of magnitude greater than similar products. I would love to see that eye for detail in a kind of one-stop shop for that kind of material. Is that cheating? I mean . . . I'd hate to be accused of trying to exploit your expertise and research. I'm just not that kind of guy . . . ;)

Those are great. But y'know . . . if you look at the level of detail represented in Hudson City or Pulp Hero' date=' it's an order of magnitude greater than similar products. I would love to see that eye for detail in a kind of one-stop shop for that kind of material. Is that cheating? I mean . . . I'd hate to be accused of trying to exploit your expertise and research. I'm just not that kind of guy . . . ;)[/quote']

Neat idea. Maybe Steve would like to scan some of his stuff in and make it available in various Dime Hero PDFs.

Hint hint.

:D

Thrilling Places sounds like a great place to include the Ahnenerbe (Steve correctly named it). It was a group the Nazis put together to gather information and relics to "prove" their superiority and gain occult power.

Yes, and as Steve noted, it shares a root word with my German family name. Best regards.

Mark

Thanx for the kind words! Truthfully, though, I don't think I could easily out-research the HPLHS on this particular subject; they seem to be absolute nuts for historical accuracy. I mean, geez, their PDF telegram form comes with instructions on how to fold it so that it looks like a proper telegram! The amount of time, effort, and research expense I'd have to put in to out-do them would result in a product so expensive that we wouldn't sell many of 'em. ;)

OK. I get it. Admittedly, a lot of what I want to see isn't as immediately practical as he HPLHS stuff. What I'd love to find is a big coffee table book of train memorabilia. But it's not as easy to scare that stuff up as I thought. Some marginalia on over-the-road trucking from the 30s and 40s would be nice. But really, it's more for my benefit, to get the mindset. I don't typically belumber my players with more that just a couple cute handouts here and there. Iguess what I want is more like the gamer equivolent of Depression glass.