Orc fall down, go BOOM!

Michael Hopcroft

How would I build a spell that, when cast on a humanmoid foe 9such as an Orc), turns him itno a living bomb? It doesn't have an immediate effect, but if the target is forcefully stuck he explodes, doing as much damage to those around him as if he were made of gunpowder!

The orc, of course, would be destoryed by the blast. If they're lucky they might find a few scaps of his clothing.

Re: Orc fall down, go BOOM!

Considering that the description guarantees a one hit kill on the target it is cast on, its gonna have to be a pretty big attack. If, insead of some random orc, you cast on Borg the Beefy (20 Body, wearing heavy full plate 9 DEF), who is humanoid also and therefore subject to the spell, you will need to be doing at least 29 (call it 30) BODY at the center of the explosion in order to leave nothing but scraps of him left.

30D6 Energy Blast, Explosion, Trigger, Invisible Power Effect (Magic sense only) needed to hide the trigger

So 375 active points. Or 262 active, if you dont mind the spell being spottable with a normal sense perception roll.

A variation on this idea is one of Lina Inverse's signature spells, the Imploding Troll. It only works on beings who automatically regenerate their damage, such as trolls. Basically it accelerates the rpocess to the extent that the unfortunate victim consumes himself utterly when struck by the slightest little wound.

From the description, though, it sounds like it would have the opposite effect of what Lina describes. Instead of the troll collapsing into a rather smelly black hole, shouldn't he grow a massive cancerous tumor before collapsing dead form his overworked body?

Hm. I've done this sort of thing with an RKA, Explosive, limited to "All or Nothing" (No damage unless target destroyed). But, I was trying to make something where the explosion was in proprotion to the size of the thing being destroyed, while this clearly is looking for a boost in the damage in the explosion compared to whatever kills the original target.

Transform, Target into Living Bomb.

I can't believe I actually suggested Transform.. I hateTransform.

What were those MTG Goblin things called? Goblin Grenades or Sapper or...some such...sac a Goblin, do 5 damage?

Goblin Grenadiers? Those were fun! Haven't played MTG for years and years!

From Fallen Empires, the only expanstion set from Magic mostly full of cheap, useless critters. They only go into a Goblin deck because, well, they deserve to. Goblin Grenades was one of the better cards they had in there.

Hell, I can sure go for an Unlimited play game just to see what kind of mayhem I can cause with a Red/Black Goblin/Thrull deck. Slap me a few Patriarch's Blessing my way. :D

In anycase, a naked Trigger wrapped around a simple explosion spell would work best--depending on how you want it, you can have it so that the unlucky goblin can activate it as a 'suicide bomber' tatic, or someone behind the lines could just snipe the little bugger from behind. I would choose the second and convince the runts "It's a spell of protection!" so they could charge blindly into the opponent's army. :D

Does anyone actually buy Transform spells? Transform is fantastically expensive. Two huge linked RKAs are surely cheaper.

Not really. Since a character is only really dead when he takes more damage than 2x Body characteristic or more, that first hit would have to be quite beefy. 3d6 RKA would typically not be enough, since maximum damage is only 18 points before defenses (and average would be about 11). The transform would avoid the target's defenses (except for Power Defense), but would still need a lot of dice to succeed (I wouldn't allow cumulative for this one).

Transform would also give the proper feeling for the spell. Effectively, it makes the target already "marked for death", without killing the character prematurely (before poking him). It would also give a pc who was targeted with this nasty a chance to have the Transform reversed, before he blew up.

As always, YMMV,

JoeG

Here you go. It is really nasty, and turns the Orc into lunchmeat quite handily. Ouch!

Explodomatic Orc
- RKA: 3d6 energy;

Explosion (+1/2);

Trigger: target takes enough Body to be dying, Can Misfire (+1/4);

Extra Time: 1 minute (-3/2);

Concentrate: 0 DCV (-1/2);

Gestures (-1/4);

Incantations (-1/4);

[79 Active, 23 Real]

+Transfer: 1d6 Body to "Explodomatic Orc", +10 Effect;

Delayed Fade Rate: 5/min (+1/4);

Costs 0 End (+1/2);

Continuous (+1);

Uncontrolled (+1/2);

Invisible Power Effects: invisible to all but magical senses, effects are hidden (+3/2);

Does Not Reduce Target Below 1 Body (-0);

Extra Time: 1 minute, only to activate (-3/4);

Concentrate: 0 DCV, only to activate (-1/2);

Gestures: only to activate (-1/4);

Incantations: only to activate (-1/4);

[95 Active, 35 Real]

[Total: 174 Active, 58 Real]

Yeah, that's like the Goblin Grenade, IMO one of the better Goblin cards.

This is also kinda like the old Dragonlance Draconians who died in a variety of different ways that were harmful to those around them:

Aurak:
when dying Green Flames RKA d6 Damage Shield; then Lightning Ball RKA 2d6, with +6 OCV, which attacks for 3 rounds then explodes for RKA 3d6 10' radius and stuns for d4 rounds (I dunno, +1 or +2 STUNx?).

Baaz:
Turns self to Stone (potentially trapping weapon of killer)

Bozak
: Explosion RKA 1d6 10' radius.

Kapak:
Dissolves into a Pool of Acid 1d6+1 for d6 rounds.

Sivak:
Burst into Flames d6+1 10' radius.

There might be other ones with the legion of novels that were spawned but those were the classics from the original series.

You could also go with the Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok who done blowed people up real good by talking to them ;)

I had a Golbin Deck once, my favorit card was Fling (Sac Creature, does damage equal to the monster toughness)

anyway, I like the Explodomatic Orc Spell, that would be fun, make it NND though, (Defense is being composed of Incombustable materials, Having a Protection from Fire Spell active, or similar ability which confers Immunity to Sudden internal explosions)

...I like the Explodomatic Orc Spell' date=' that would be fun, make it NND though, (Defense is being composed of Incombustable materials, Having a Protection from Fire Spell active, or similar ability which confers Immunity to Sudden internal explosions)[/quote']

Why? The Orc has to be dying anyway (see the Trigger), and it is going to be deadcakes after the Explosion with just about any defenses it might possess. Even if it doesn't technically die immediately, it is still dying and probably enough of a mook that the GM can just say the orc is gone. Whataver. The only real benefit I can see the NND having is against those around the Orc, and that doesn't sound right (at least it's not the way I do typical magic explosion damage in my games).