IK Hero?

zakueins

Re: IK Hero?

Ok here is what I have so far tell me what you think ok.

Everyman Skills

Breakfall

Climbing

Concealment

Conversation

Deduction

Native Language(4 points worth, no literacy)

Other Languages(3 points worth, no literacy)

Persuasion

One PS at 11- (Job, hobby, or the like)

Shadowing

Stealth

AK: Home country or region

Racial Package Deals

Dwarf Package

Abilities

Cost Abilities

6 +3 Con

4 +2 Body

3 Bump of Direction

2 LS:longevity (x4 lifespan)

5 Infrared Perception

7 LS:Immunity to poisons

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 27

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

2 -1†running

10 Distinctive Features (Dwarf) (Concealable with difficulty)

10 Psychological Limitation (Oath Bound) (Common, Moderate)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 22

Iosan Package

Abilities

Cost Abilities

6 +2 Dex

5 Ultraviolet Perception (Sight)

3 LS: Longevity (16x Life Span)

2 LS: Immunity to Sleep Spell Effects

2 5 Pts. Power Defence (only for Enchantment Effects) -1 1/2

2 +1 to Divination Skill rolls

2 +1 to Perception rolls

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 22

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

4 -2 CON

2 -1 BODY

10 Distinctive Looks (Iosan Elf) (Concealable With Effort)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 16

Nyss Elf Package

Abilities

Cost Abilities

6 +2 Dex

2 +2 PRE

3 LS: Longevity (16x Life Span)

2 LS: Immunity to Sleep Spell Effects

3 5 Pts. Power Defence Vs. Cold based attacks -1

2 +1 to Divination Skill rolls

2 +1 to Perception rolls

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 25

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

4 -2 EGO

10 1 1/2x Stun from heat based attacks

10 Distinctive Looks (Nyssan Elf)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 24

Gobber Package

Abilities

Cost Abilities

6 +3 DEX

4 +2 with Concealment Camouflage

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 15

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

2 -2 STR

2 -1 CON

10 Distinctive Features (Gobber) (Concealable with major effort)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 14

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to figure out what kind of Magic System I will want to use not sure what would be good and cool. Any suggestions?

From the arcane stand point, I don't mind d20s separation of Wizards and Sorcerors. Wizards learn spells through study and practice, while sorcerors have some innate ability to see and shape arcane forces. Building the magic system with Hero does allow reshaping of the spell lists to better reflect the setting.

I have only glanced at KS's webpage, but I could see building sorcerors with an MP (they have a limited number of spells they know, but can cast like mad)

and wizards with a VPP that can only be changed through meditation. Spells could cost long term END that is only recovered with sleep.

For Clerics. Not sure about the system, perhaps similar to the wizard VPP changed by prayer. For the limitation on Healing per day, total number of BODY healed per day must be equal to or less than the Cleric's EGO rolle (ie, if the EGO roll is 11-, the Cleric can only heal 11 total BODY per day). If the subject is not of the Cleric's faith, then the Cleric needs to make an EGO roll or can't heal the subject. Then add in all the fun side effects of healing.

A while back, naturaltwenty posted a link to a small PDF he'd created for a HERO version of a warcaster - I'm assuming it's a conversion of a published Iron Kingdoms character, since he said he'd based it on some of the available preview downloads:

http://www.naturaltwenty.com/downloads/iron_kingdoms_warcaster.pdf

I was wondering what peoples opinion on Packages are I am not sure I should even bother working on specific packages for things like professions or character archetypes there seems to be no point in 5e revised to make packages worth taking. They are a lot of work and if no one is going to bother taking them it would be a lot of work for nothing.

Should I put the work in or just work more on the magic and more setting oriented skills and talents and let the players define who and what they are?

Just wondering what people thought... :dh:

I was wondering what peoples opinion on Packages are I am not sure I should even bother working on specific packages for things like professions or character archetypes there seems to be no point in 5e revised to make packages worth taking. They are a lot of work and if no one is going to bother taking them it would be a lot of work for nothing.

Should I put the work in or just work more on the magic and more setting oriented skills and talents and let the players define who and what they are?

Personally, I'd rather see you concentrate your efforts on magic. I agree with you, I think we can figure out the character/profession archetypes easily enough, but in the past I've found it somewhat of a pain to convert D&D/d20 spells and the like to Hero. I'd love to see your take on IK magic.

Packages exist to provide consitancy and to help to players. How important is it to you that all fighters have a set number of features in common? If it's important, make a package. If it isn't, don't. Do you rplayers need the help that a package framework provides?

In a fantasy game, the only type of packages I worry about are racial archtypes. All elves have the following traits: yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda. All dwarves have the follow traits: yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda. If you want to be an elf you must have all of the things in teh package, or you ain't one.

Just how different is the magic system between Iron Kingdoms d20 and WarMachine (the table top miniatures wargame set in IK)?

I like the way magic works in WarMachine.

I've looked through the quick start rules for WarMachine, but don't have a good feel for how magic works in the miniatures game. In IK, magic is basically d20 with some exceptions. They removed some spells that do not fit in the cosmology of Iron Kingdoms. Healing is more difficult, and ressurrection is rare. Rangers lose their spell casting ability, but they add a new class called the Gun Mage, which is a sorceror who can cast spells through their gun and can make 'touch attacks' with a bullet.

I haven't read much of the Warcaster rules, but from what I remember Warcasters can cast spells through their Warmachines. So if a Warcaster has a cone spell, the cone either starts from him, or it can start from his machine. There may be another rule in there about how he casts the spell or any prep he must do.

Healing - Don't have the rules with me. But with healing, a caster is limited to a number of HP they can heal per day(formula based on caster level, WIS bonus, and some other factors). If the caster goes over that HP max per day then bad things start to happen. Healers can only heal people up to one degree of separation from them on the alignment chart (hence NG healer can heal, NG, LG, CG, N), beyond that healing can have consequences. The fifth level Raise Dead was removed. Ressurrection has consequences. Much more is made of religion (though the game world only has five deities) and how priests of various religions will help you. For instance a Cleric of Menoth will only heal those faithful to Menoth.

Potions - There are still magic potions, but they are rarer than typical d20. Alchemy is the use of magic to help extract helpful chemicals out of plants and imbue the potion with magic properties. Alchemic potions can have side effects. Apothecary is simply brewing plants (with no magic involved) to make various elixirs, again there are side effects. For instance, a healing potion may up your HP, but the rapid healing may temporarily drain your CON and make the character tired. This is one area where I think Hero works a lot better that trying to cludge the round IK setting into the square d20 hole.

Magic Weapons - Purely magic weapons are rare. There is a pretty restrictive XP cap on what a caster can spend on their Craft Magic Weapons/Armor feat. Above that XP cap, backlash comes into play which could kill or maim a caster. Most magic weapons are mekanical, they use magic plates to mimic special abilities, and the plates have to be 'charged' in order work. So you have ensure you have a battery charger (an arcane caster) or take plenty of AA batteries on long journies.

That's my impression from a single read through of the book. :)

I've looked through the quick start rules for WarMachine' date=' but don't have a good feel for how magic works in the miniatures game. [/quote']

Warcasters generate a given amount of Focus every turn. Focus is used for various things. If they do not use it, it improves their Armor rating making them tougher.

They can allocate Focus to their warjacks so that the warjack can perform special attacks, improve their to-hit rolls, improve their damage rolls or make extra attacks.

Focus is also used to cast spells. A warcaster has a specified set of spells that they can use but can cast each as many times as they want during their turn as long as they have enough focus to power them (there are a handful of exceptions).

Focus is like an END Battery, but that END Battery can power a bunch of stuff. Seems easier to model than d&d-esque magic.

IK Magic Systems?

Well I have done a little general magic work for my IK campaign. I so far have three seperate magic system bases for the three different forms of magic: Sorcerous, Arcane, and Divine.

Here is what I have so far.

Magic Systems

Arcane Magic

You must have one of the School Skills to cast the appropriate spell if you do not have the spell school skill you can make a roll at 8- to cast a spell you do not have the skill to cast.

Spells will be bought like regular powers but the Real cost will be divided by 3 maximum active cost will be 100 points. Must take Incantations ½, Gestures ½, RSR Magic school skill ½, Concentration ¼.

Sorcerer Magic

Will be a VPP of no more the 50 points in the pool, Limitations will include Gestures -½, Incantations -½, RSR EGO based magic skill to change spell pool -½, Extra time 20 minutes to change pool -2, Concentration ¼.

Divine Magic

Divine magic will be bought as a VPP that is no more the 50 point pool. Limitations on the Control cost will be OIF Holy symbol -½, Gestures -½, Incantations -½, Can only change the pool once a day after 20 minutes of meditation -4, Concentration ¼.

Now I have not done any work on spells so far themselves but as I really do not like the limiting way spells are done in D&D I will probably just let the Characters come up with there own spells or help them make some.

Please tell me what you think of the basic ideas I have here and any suggestions to further make the magic systems more Ik'ish. I am still reading threw the book so I will have to stop here till I get that done but should be soon tho.

I've finally figured out what my problem is with converting d20 IK to HERO IK.

Just because the D&D style magic system was used to make IK magic, doesn't mean D&D style magic is good for representing IK magic.

So converting the broken D&D system to HERO might not be a good idea. Instead, look at the IK source material and come up with something that fits IK better using the HERO system to make it.

A permutation of Rune-Forging could work very well. perhaps a "Focus" based magic system were in order to use magic the caster has to first engrave mystic symbols and such into an item in order to acess certain types a powers. sort of like Pre-construction Transmutation circles in the series Full Metal Alchemist, (http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=836678&mode=linear#post836678 , The list of available Power Types is greater of course.

Unfortunitly because they made the setting for d20 there is a lot of setting specific stuff they had to make fit so they molded the setting. So to make the setting work you have to still use the broken magic systems but you do not have to make all the lame spells that are all typed out for you and in levels and such.

You do have to try to make the various systems to work with the setting tho.

I guess you could just work around the whole lame wizard sorceror-wizard thing but it is used in the camapign setting very extensively.

What I tried to do was create a basic magic systems that will work in the setting with to much modification. (I am lazy)

Is there any suggestions on doing it differently then I suggested? I would really lie to hear your ideas on what I can do to improve on what I came up with.

Thanx

Wolfe-Chan

Turn Sorcery into a Multi-Power base, then make Wizardry the VPP, with the limitation that all pwoers can have only 1 Charge (to cast multiple times you buy the power multiple times in the VPP) and powers can only be changed after 8 hours of rest.

Devine Magic really isn't all that different form Arcane, just with differeing SFX limitations

Turn Sorcery into a Multi-Power base, then make Wizardry the VPP, with the limitation that all pwoers can have only 1 Charge (to cast multiple times you buy the power multiple times in the VPP) and powers can only be changed after 8 hours of rest.

Devine Magic really isn't all that different form Arcane, just with differeing SFX limitations

I am trying to get away from the silly limitation of d20 spells in rthe oh you can only cast this spell so many times a day. End is a very good way to limit spells. You can only cast so many spells before you run out of end and in a heroric campaign even a mage will not have too much endurance so in any given combat he will only be able to cast so many spells.

I do think that I am going to change the Arcane Magic to a VPP but just can only change spells once a day.

And make the Sorcerors Pool a little more versatile.

Unfortunitly because they made the setting for d20 there is a lot of setting specific stuff they had to make fit so they molded the setting. So to make the setting work you have to still use the broken magic systems but you do not have to make all the lame spells that are all typed out for you and in levels and such.

You do have to try to make the various systems to work with the setting tho.

I guess you could just work around the whole lame wizard sorceror-wizard thing but it is used in the camapign setting very extensively.

What I tried to do was create a basic magic systems that will work in the setting with to much modification. (I am lazy)

Is there any suggestions on doing it differently then I suggested? I would really lie to hear your ideas on what I can do to improve on what I came up with.

Thanx

Wolfe-Chan

That seemed to indicate you were going for a more "pure" conversion. In anycase, I don't know much about the setting, but if your going through the trouble to convert it into hero you may as well fix some of its mechanical inconsistancies, otherwise your probably better off playing IK in D20. Alrighty then, lets get cracking. I read up as much as I can without having to buy the books so there are probably gaps in my sugestions

Overall my first sugestion (again) would be to adopt perhaps Rune-Forging or Seal-Magic for the "Wizardry" stuff, since those systems are well suited to making magic items as part of their core mechanics. They can also be used to easilly synthesize the "Gun-Mage". War casters only really have one unique power, a Telepathy; Only to Machine Class Minds. (Warjacks all take Physical Lim: Must follow commands by Bonded Warcaster). which is fine, D20 based products are rife with pseudo-psionics anyway so few will mind "breaking-system" for that ability.

Speaking of Pseudo-Psionics: Sorcery was mentioned as being very important. thats pretty easy to handle, Sorcery could be easilly handled as a MP full of Illusion, Enchantment, and a smidgeon of divination for a "true" sorcerer, or left more open for the "Walking-Artility" of the same name represented in DnD, but would definitly be End Based. Although depending on vagrencies of IK's representation of magic, adding a Mana (MAN) based on EGO could be highly appropiate.

From there, Divine Magic should be handled as a VPP using the common limitations I described for Wizardry above + the "Only When Serving Gods Purposes" this handy little catch-all is quite appropiate to the IK, as long as you actually enforce it. Gods wouldn't heal non-believers, not likely to buff them either unless the Clerics prayer is really good*, and wouldn't smite believers, etc.

*(represented perhaps as a sucessful persuasion roll, with negative modifiers appropiate to the audiance and the desired spell target)

As far as handleing Warjacks and Steamjacks thats not too tough. built them as you Basic Automoton with all the fixins. then Apply the Physical Lim mentioned above, as well as a Dependance: 20 Galleons of Fresh Water, every time 'jack is refeuled with Coal (or roughly 1-3 Hours (depending on model)), and Phys Lim: Boiler (stateing that it can only use END with the SFX of burned material (usually coal)). Buy its END down to zero. Then simply calculate roughly how much END an efficient model can burn through in an hour of combat. I'm assuming 4/phase and SPD 3 (which is actually probably a little high) if you don't go overboard. Based on my Calculations the "Average" Steamjack would need 3600 END over the course of an hour. Thats a bit high... for more realistic time it at 20 minutes of Combat power, or 1200 END.

Don't forget though, just about everything in IK is dependant upon Steam Boilers, so find an END level that comes closest to the proper Activation window's presented in the series, your not likely to get an exact figure from a conversion.

Now to define define Coal (and other burnables, based on material and weight) as non-recovering END reserves (only for Boilers)(-1), OAF Expendable(Feul, easially ruined by water or fire; Easilly obtained -1), Independant (-2).

Based upon END Use expectancies over an Hour and again over 20 minutes (depending upon GM preference), The following END Reserve levels would be appropiate per lb. (to convert lb. to kg multiply by 0.4536). For the lower levels I'm jsut guesstimating, I havn't done any research in RL efficiency of Various burn-ables. Obviously the lower you go from Fine coal, the quicker it will need refeuling

Fine Coal: 180 END / lb at the 1 Hour level; 60 END / lb at the 20 minute level.

Average Coal: 150 END / lb at the 1 Hour level; 50 END / lb at the 20 minute level

Crappy Coal: 120 END / lb at the 1 hour level; 40 END / lb at the 20 minute level.

***From here down is improvised materials, they would also come with a side effect of -1 to All skill rolls and checks made by the 'jack, due to the inificiency of the feul. this is considered an extreme side effect.

Fine, Laqured Wood (such as funiture): 120 END / lb at the 1 hour level; 40 END / lb at the 20 minute level.

Good Firewood: 105 END / lb at the 1 hour level; 35 END / lb at the 20 minute level

Crappy Firewood: 90 END / lb at the 1 Hour level; 30 END / lb at the 20 minute level

Tinder: 30 END / lb at the 1 Hour level; 10 END / lb at the 20 minute level.

Well, now that I've writen a source book I think I'll leave to let you ponder my infinite wisdom :-P

That seemed to indicate you were going for a more "pure" conversion. In anycase' date=' I don't know much about the setting, but if your going through the trouble to convert it into hero you may as well fix some of its mechanical inconsistancies, otherwise your probably better off playing IK in D20. Alrighty then, lets get cracking. I read up as much as I can without having to buy the books so there are probably gaps in my sugestions[/quote']

As I really do not like the D20 system not really into playing it as such so I want to create a Hero equivalent that I can like. I guess maybe I really should start from scratch and create my own Steam Punk type of fantasy setting but I am way lazy

Overall my first sugestion (again) would be to adopt perhaps Rune-Forging or Seal-Magic for the "Wizardry" stuff, since those systems are well suited to making magic items as part of their core mechanics. They can also be used to easilly synthesize the "Gun-Mage". War casters only really have one unique power, a Telepathy; Only to Machine Class Minds. (Warjacks all take Physical Lim: Must follow commands by Bonded Warcaster). which is fine, D20 based products are rife with pseudo-psionics anyway so few will mind "breaking-system" for that ability.

Speaking of Pseudo-Psionics: Sorcery was mentioned as being very important. thats pretty easy to handle, Sorcery could be easilly handled as a MP full of Illusion, Enchantment, and a smidgeon of divination for a "true" sorcerer, or left more open for the "Walking-Artility" of the same name represented in DnD, but would definitly be End Based. Although depending on vagrencies of IK's representation of magic, adding a Mana (MAN) based on EGO could be highly appropiate.

As for magic I do not understand why magical item making needs to be the centre of a magic system. It can certainly be an off shoot of a magic system. As for mutipowers in a 150pt game it is really hard to buy good stats & skills and still have enough points for an effective multipower. While with a VPP and extra time and a few other lims. you can create a versatile magic system that cannot be changed on a whim. but more offten then once a scene or once an adventure.

From there' date=' Divine Magic should be handled as a VPP using the common limitations I described for Wizardry above + the "Only When Serving Gods Purposes" this handy little catch-all is quite appropiate to the IK, as long as you actually enforce it. Gods wouldn't heal non-believers, not likely to buff them either unless the Clerics prayer is really good*, and wouldn't smite believers, etc.[/quote']

As for healing the only IK faith that will not heal others is Menoth as they are very this religion is the only one kind of faith. All the others can heal anyone given the need. The main difference is in the amount of healing that a Priest can do per day. After which there are some really brutal side effects of over doing it.

*As far as handleing Warjacks and Steamjacks thats not too tough. built them as you Basic Automoton with all the fixins. then Apply the Physical Lim mentioned above, as well as a Dependance: 20 Galleons of Fresh Water, every time 'jack is refeuled with Coal (or roughly 1-3 Hours (depending on model)), and Phys Lim: Boiler (stateing that it can only use END with the SFX of burned material (usually coal)). Buy its END down to zero. Then simply calculate roughly how much END an efficient model can burn through in an hour of combat. I'm assuming 4/phase and SPD 3 (which is actually probably a little high) if you don't go overboard. Based on my Calculations the "Average" Steamjack would need 3600 END over the course of an hour. Thats a bit high... for more realistic time it at 20 minutes of Combat power, or 1200 END.

Don't forget though, just about everything in IK is dependant upon Steam Boilers, so find an END level that comes closest to the proper Activation window's presented in the series, your not likely to get an exact figure from a conversion.

Have not even really given this any thoughts yet. Still working on the magic systems mostly.

As I really do not like the D20 system not really into playing it as such so I want to create a Hero equivalent that I can like. I guess maybe I really should start from scratch and create my own Steam Punk type of fantasy setting but I am way lazy

Thats fine I can understand that. I've got ittsues with DnD too. I'm actually working on a Steam-Punk kind of Campaign myself.

As for magic I do not understand why magical item making needs to be the centre of a magic system. It can certainly be an off shoot of a magic system. As for mutipowers in a 150pt game it is really hard to buy good stats & skills and still have enough points for an effective multipower. While with a VPP and extra time and a few other lims. you can create a versatile magic system that cannot be changed on a whim. but more offten then once a scene or once an adventure.

Err... That doesn't sound right, Multi-Powers are cheep as dirt, Variable Powers Pools on the other hand get expensive fast because you can only apply limitations to 1 third (on average) of the total cost of the pool. Given the normal set of "Magey" Limitations, Incantations, Gestures, Concentration, and maybe an Expendable Foci. getting the price down on the Multi Power can be really easy, and with that many Common Limitations characters can afford to buy new powers relativly quickly (depending on how much XP you hand out. where as a VPPs price will always be greater then 2/3s the the base cost.

Example:

As a multipower: a sorcerer could purchase a 60 (the AP Cap in many games) point pool with the Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Noisy (Aka Highly visible to Detect Magic; -1/4), and Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4). thats -1 in limitations, thus that MP has a base cost of 30. Now, lets assume the caster has a good repitour os spells, all at max AP, and all using flexible slots. thats 6 Points per (60 AP) Power, assuming they have no SFX related Limitations (not bloody likely) or additional procedural limitations (like Extra Time). Also lets say the sorcerer has 6 spells. thats 66 points total cost.

As a VPP: Assuming the same Pool level and Common Limitations, As well as an additiona -3/4 (-1/4 for Magic Only, and -1/2 for Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance) The VPP Pool Will Cost 71 points.

Even Assuming only the bare minimum of Cost breaks the Multi-Power wins out price wise. Considering that IK is suposed to be Low-Magic (yeah right) APs as low as 45 might be appropiate, widening the price gap between MP and VPP.

I will granted you that VPPs are more versatile (which can make them worth to additional cost) but they can also slow down the game noticably, and are woefully easy to abuse unless they have an insane number of limitations (which defeats the purpose usually.)

Fundementally I love VPPs, but their generally very bad for emulating any magic "system" other then Vancian style fire and forget DnD magic. I've tried making VPP systems before and it alwasy ends up a conveluted mess.

That point aside, it makes more sence thematiclly in a low magic setting for a Sorcerer to have to put time and effort into every spell they learn. if All they have to do is buy a pool up the the AP maxima then occasionally raise it with more XP, you'll lose some of that feel. since they can do just about anything within the AP cap, it will make it more difficult to challenge your party.

As for why I sugest an Item (or more accurately a Focus) based system, Wizard-types often ended up pretty Item centric in DnD anyway since they had the Spell lists to make really good item crafters. plus the potential mechanical aspects of creating Magical Foci for their powers fits well not only with the whole intelectual study based magic of wizardry, but also fits well with the Warcaster and Gunmage concepts, both of which are hevially reliant on Magi-tech, and use it in the spellcasting (or at least they do in what I've read). I only sugested it in regards to "Wizardry", Sorcery would remain more like "Normal" magic.

As for healing the only IK faith that will not heal others is Menoth as they are very this religion is the only one kind of faith. All the others can heal anyone given the need. The main difference is in the amount of healing that a Priest can do per day. After which there are some really brutal side effects of over doing it.

I see, well that seems like more of a DnD specific thing, It was likely put in to try to Nerf clerics, and make play seem more gritty. Healing in Hero already has caps on how much the power can heal at a time, just change that from a hard cap to an "Or Very Bad Things will Happen" Clause. no additional limitation being applicable since all your really doing is replacing a hardcoded restriction for a Severe Side effect.

I see what you mean but with enough extra time it takes to long to change the VPP quickly, ie once a day. That would take away the ease of changing the VPP. Making the System more D&D like but still more versatile then a level based system.

It is not really about the steam more the marrying of magic and technology. So in a sense it is a magic heavy campaign setting in that sense. Technology and magic are not mutually exclusive.

When thinking about the magic system for Iron Kingdoms, I am getting a bit hung up on the d20 system that was attached to the game. I know it doesn't work, but trying to think of various systems to replace it. I do like the idea of rune etching, and think that is definitaly one alternative. In converting the game to Hero, the GM has two choices, go with the higher magic setting d20, or switch it to a grittier lower magic setting. I personally am getting tired of d20 style magic (granted I play a sorceror in one d20 campaign:)), so I lean more towards the lower magic setting.

I am thinking that technology, especially the mekanical technology (that which blends gears and arcane energy) developed because while magic is present, its difficult or time consuming to use. In order to make magic more battle ready, it has to be pre-etched on plates that are used by the war-jacks. Wizards would become more focus based. Carry objects such as a staff of fire, which is a specialized focus that shapes arcane energy into fire based spells. For gun mages, get rid of spells cast in the traditional sense, but expand the number of arcane bullets a gun mage can carry, base it on ego.

When the Orgoth (I think that was the name of the previous rulers) were in charge, they kept their brutal order by using war-witches. So there are some people that can inherently use arcane magic, but those people would be rare and distrusted. The kingdoms would have developed the warjacks as a technological counter to the innate power of the war-witches. The war-witches would be more akin to D&D sorcerors. They have an innate control of arcane energies, but are limited in the number of spells they have.

For Clerics I would adapt so their magic is simplified to mostly healing, buffing and faith type spells. Battleclerics would begin to develop more 'wrath of god' type of spells. Put an active point limit on the healing power that a cleric can buy. Leave it up to the player to role-play who he heals and who he doesn't heal.