IK Hero?

zakueins

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: IK Hero?

Think of it as steampunk fantasy-major magic, guns (that use alchemy rather than chemical-based propellants), steam robots, etc, etc.

When I demoed Warmachine at GenCon' date=' I was left with the feeling that it should be relatively easy to port to Hero. I'm not that familiar with the IK setting behind it. Tell us a little more.[/quote']

I recall the Warcasters and the Warjacks. Like I said, seemed an interesting thing to port to Hero - with a naked Indirect advantage for the Warcaster, limited to allowing him to cast any spell through the spear-carrier Warjacks. Focus being placed on Warjacks to allow them extra attacks and such is basically similar to them having powers that draw on the END Reserve of the Warcaster; when he runs out of END for the turn, that's it for special Warjack abilities. The Warcaster actually having to "place" Focus on the Warjacks would be a House Rule that requires the Warcaster to allocate his END at the beginning of the Phase.

I'd probably buy Warjacks that had a arc node (which lets you do remote casting) as a VPP w/ the limitation "can only cast a spell that the bonded Warcaster can cast" and "only can use the END of the Warcaster".

I recall the Warcasters and the Warjacks. Like I said' date=' seemed an interesting thing to port to Hero - with a naked Indirect advantage for the Warcaster, limited to allowing him to cast any spell through the spear-carrier Warjacks. Focus being placed on Warjacks to allow them extra attacks and such is basically similar to them having powers that draw on the END Reserve of the Warcaster; when he runs out of END for the turn, that's it for special Warjack abilities. The Warcaster actually having to "place" Focus on the Warjacks would be a House Rule that requires the Warcaster to allocate his END at the beginning of the Phase.[/quote']

You could do it that way, too, sure. But I think the Indirect will come out a bit more, er, elegantly, i.e., be simpler for the player/GM to implement; this is especially true since VPPs can be a pain to adjust - if the arc node Warjack adjusts the VPP on his SPD, but the Warcaster has a different SPD, then... But, as always, YMMV.

Tho, if I felt really, really nasty...I'd buy the Arc Node as a follower of the Warjack. :)

You could do it that way' date=' too, sure. But I think the Indirect will come out a bit more, er, elegantly, [i']i.e.[/i], be simpler for the player/GM to implement; this is especially true since VPPs can be a pain to adjust - if the arc node Warjack adjusts the VPP on his SPD, but the Warcaster has a different SPD, then... But, as always, YMMV.

Probably going to build the characters as templates with lenses-two templates (race and career), with lenses (to deal with specific character types).

Magic is tricky in the game-for clerics to heal outside of the faith, there's a very good chance of Bad Things happening.

Tho' date=' if I felt really, really nasty...I'd buy the Arc Node as a follower of the Warjack. :)[/quote']

I'd probably do that anyway, since the Warjacks are somewhat crappy without the Warcaster backing them up with Focus.

The chance of Bad Things happening when clerics heal outside their faith is easily handled with Side Effects, suitably modified.

Healing BODY 3d6 (30 Active Points); Side Effects (occurs whenever the character does some specific act (heals someone outside the faith and fails his roll), Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; Bad Things happen; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2)

You could give casters a +4 bonus to their roll to heal people of their own faith and -2 to heal others, for instance, to make healing the faithful a sure thing. Or you could get rid of the faith roll and just apply the roll as an Activation Roll to the Side Effect; I'd say that reduces the value of the Side Effect by 1/4.

According to Liber Mechanika, Warjacks use the most powerful (i.e. "smart") cortex avalable-which makes them a bit smater than the average dog. They're good at figuring out how to handle orders, but not too good at making up their own. Buy them at INT 5-6, with a +6 INT with the limitation of "only when following external orders", which should give a good sense of their intellegence. To represnet the bond, I'd add Mind Link and Psy Lim (Reprogrammable Duty, Only To Bonded Warcaster).

Hm...I like the side effect idea. My only issue is how to handle magic-personally, I'm just going to go with a VPP with the (initial) limitation of "Only Previously Memorized Spells".

I'd probably do that anyway, since the Warjacks are somewhat crappy without the Warcaster backing them up with Focus.

The chance of Bad Things happening when clerics heal outside their faith is easily handled with Side Effects, suitably modified.

Healing BODY 3d6 (30 Active Points); Side Effects (occurs whenever the character does some specific act (heals someone outside the faith and fails his roll), Side Effect affects both character and recipient of Power's benefits; Bad Things happen; -1/2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2)

You could give casters a +4 bonus to their roll to heal people of their own faith and -2 to heal others, for instance, to make healing the faithful a sure thing. Or you could get rid of the faith roll and just apply the roll as an Activation Roll to the Side Effect; I'd say that reduces the value of the Side Effect by 1/4.

According to Liber Mechanika' date=' Warjacks use the most powerful (i.e. "smart") cortex avalable-which makes them a bit smater than the average dog. They're good at figuring out how to handle orders, but not too good at making up their own. [/quote']

This actually could be simulated by using the Artificial Intelligence rules. An AI has to make an EGO roll to carry out any action on its own. And since a Warjack presumably should be built as an Automaton (ie without EGO), the cortex would be a splendid Hero-mechanics AI....

To represnet the bond' date=' I'd add Mind Link and Psy Lim (Reprogrammable Duty, Only To Bonded Warcaster).[/quote']How does the bond function in Iron Kingdoms? Do the two actually communicate? Do the Warjacks follow any order their Warcaster thinks at them?

Hm...I like the side effect idea. My only issue is how to handle magic-personally, I'm just going to go with a VPP with the (initial) limitation of "Only Previously Memorized Spells".
That's fine. It really depends on the magic system's mechanics - do they use the default D&D 3.5 magic system, or did Monte Cook come up with something new for them?

From what the fluff text is, warcasters use mental commands (as part of their training), while "normal" casters use verbal commands and the bond link to "authorize" them.

The magic system is pure D20, with a few extra spells.

How does the bond function in Iron Kingdoms? Do the two actually communicate? Do the Warjacks follow any order their Warcaster thinks at them?

That's fine. It really depends on the magic system's mechanics - do they use the default D&D 3.5 magic system, or did Monte Cook come up with something new for them?