IK Hero?

zakueins

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admiral C

Re: IK Hero?

Would anybody be interested in seeing a version of Iron Kingdoms converted over to Hero 5th?

I haven't seen anything but the War Machine Apothesis book and my copy of the Monsternomicon (Iron Liches rock). I'd love to do something with IK but I have no idea how to pitch something like that to my players.

Adm

• 4 months later...

That's fine. It really depends on the magic system's mechanics - do they use the default D&D 3.5 magic system' date=' or did Monte Cook come up with something new for them?[/quote']

The Iron Kingdoms setting uses the standard d20 magic, but they do dump some spells to lower the magic of the setting (for instance, Raise Dead is gone, the only spell a Cleric can use to resurrect someone is the 9th level spell). They continually push that its a low magic setting, but its hard to do with d20.

I think that IK would work much better in HERO. With the use of separate STUN and BODY a character can be hurt in combat, but it in many cases will not require healing, just time to rest and regain STUN. Taking BODY will be bad news, as it will require finding a healer of similar faith, or drinking a potion which might have side effects. Switching systems will allow the GM to dump the spell list and limit magic to the level he wants, or even make magic more difficult with required skill rolls.

Guess I am saying, I think Iron Kingdoms would work great in Hero. Interested in seeing some conversions for Warjacks and unique abilities such as the Warcaster's ability to command 'jacks and cast spells through them. Hero also allows dumping the traits of d20 that seem to not fit in the game.

I fully agree-but, D20 is the 600 pound gorilla of RPGs these days, which is a shame. A conversion over to Hero 5th could only be seen as making the setting much better. :)

The Iron Kingdoms setting uses the standard d20 magic, but they do dump some spells to lower the magic of the setting (for instance, Raise Dead is gone, the only spell a Cleric can use to resurrect someone is the 9th level spell). They continually push that its a low magic setting, but its hard to do with d20.

I think that IK would work much better in HERO. With the use of separate STUN and BODY a character can be hurt in combat, but it in many cases will not require healing, just time to rest and regain STUN. Taking BODY will be bad news, as it will require finding a healer of similar faith, or drinking a potion which might have side effects. Switching systems will allow the GM to dump the spell list and limit magic to the level he wants, or even make magic more difficult with required skill rolls.

Guess I am saying, I think Iron Kingdoms would work great in Hero. Interested in seeing some conversions for Warjacks and unique abilities such as the Warcaster's ability to command 'jacks and cast spells through them. Hero also allows dumping the traits of d20 that seem to not fit in the game.

I fully agree-but' date=' D20 is the 600 pound gorilla of RPGs these days, which is a shame. A conversion over to Hero 5th could only be seen as making the setting much better. :)[/quote']

I'm not going to argue with Privateer's decision to go with d20, from a business perspective it makes sense. You are right, though, its a shame, the game works better in non-d20 rules. Also its odd, in the minatures combat they include some d20-isms, such as Attack of Opportunity.

Everyone agrees. It is a great idea to convert. Now' date=' all we need is the convertor![/quote']

I am willing to work on it some. I have the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide, which includes the Races and Classes. It works out since some of my group had even been talking about converting it and playing it at a later date.

First things first' date=' since IK is so D20-based, it's time to work out the D20-to-Hero 5th conversions. Get that done, we're about 70% done with IK Hero (the few non-standard races can be built up and such).[/quote']

I believe that a d20-to-Hero conversion has been done on Killer Shrike's web-page. Because of that resource, I think the main work is just writing up IK specific differences (races, classes, and the big hunk, mekanics).

They weren't kidding - it is very similar to the setting I created. WACKY. I don't need a port. I've written half of this already. :)

I know how you feel. I invented Steampunk in FH back in 1986. Makes me sick sometimes. Caleon is similar in many ways to Ebberon and IK.

Makes wanna be mean to Keith Baker. Real Mean.

Every time I see this topic I wonder what the heck an Inverse Kinematics Hero would be. Maybe he's kind of like Matt Keller in Niven's A Gift from Earth, telekinetically adjusting your body language, and thereby changing your emotional state through a sort of nonverbal communication/subtle feedback thingy.

• 4 weeks later...

I am working on Converting it now I am picking my copy of the IKCG tomorrow and should have most of the packages done by next week. As long as I do not get to board.

I am looking at doing things a might sparce for package deals as I like them to be small and not take to many points.

Still trying to figure out what kind of Magic System I will want to use not sure what would be good and cool. Any suggestions?

And as for feats I will probably just ignore that stuff and just work on skills and package stuff for different professions in the Iron Kingdoms. eg Cygnarian Military packages and such. And specific skills that you need to do certain things.

I want to have a talent that you will have to buy if you want to be a Warcaster. Maybe a Mechanik talent as well. Still debating on that stuff I am starting with the racial packages and working from there.

How about damage conversions? Not sure how to do that.

Wolfe-Chan