Liefeld's Titans

hooligan x

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Liefeld's Titans

As an artist, I think he's good. He's not jaw dropping great, but he's good. As a writer I have strong reservations about him.

Even there, Liefeld makes Byrne look good by sheer horrific contrast.

And the funny thing is, Byrne wrote/co-wrote the X-Men series that Jim lee did the artwork for. Sometimes I think he's the "Donny Osmond" of the comic book set.

You guys are making me cry. I'm just trying to make a living here!

I'm going to drown my sorrows in work. I'm doing all titles for Marvel and DC next year. I have a secret method that will allow me to cop-- draw 43 titles a month!

:P

Farm it out to art students, call it a studio and bill yourself in the title.

Not to burst your balloon' date=' but I personally think Miller, sucks at both art and writing. :D[/quote']

Miller to me is very hit or miss. When he hits, he hits hard, when he misses, he misses badly. There's a bunch of his work I really like, and there's a bunch of it that just misses badly for me.

But when I rule the Universe I won't smite you for your incorrect beliefs.

When I ascend to godlike powers over all of creation, I'll smite whoever I feel like it, though in Liefeld's case, I'm probably not going to simply smite him but instead stick him someplace unpleasant until he learns to:

1. Draw human anatomy in proportion in natural poses

2. Learn to draw a range of body types

3. Learn to compose scenes without copying them from other people.

You guys are making me cry. I'm just trying to make a living here!

I'm going to drown my sorrows in work. I'm doing all titles for Marvel and DC next year. I have a secret method that will allow me to cop^H^H draw 43 titles a month!

:P

LMAO!!! :)

(Fixed the backspaces for ya!)

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I've decided to announce my new project here. I'm doing a 3 part adaptation of the Lord of the Rings. I'll have to compress a lot to fit the story in, especially since I've decided to do it all in splash panels.

I think everyone will finally see the classic the way it was meant to be seen. Man-boobs on Aragorn! Wangs on Eowyn! It'll be great!

Well, naturally. It's mine.

All the hobbits will look like Troll, and you will never see their feet. Legolas will look like Shatterstar. Aragorn will have a cybernetic arm. Gandalf will look like he can bench press a balrog. It'll be great!

Honestly, Liefeld's stuff is no more stylized than some of Kirby's stuff. The important difference is that Kirby could do anatomically correct work and Liefeld can only draw "comic-style." All he can draw is limited perspective fights and poses. It's definitely sour grapes wondering how the heck he managed to break into comics when the rest of us labor in obscurity, but what can you do? My liking of a comic is usually the kiss of death; I've only rarely been able to recognize "popular."

Try to imagine the circumstances that led to Liefeld getting the Titans gig. Was the editor clueless as to ol' Robby's rep? Did he think it would increase sales? Methinks someone showed up looking for work and the Teen Titans drew short straw. Could have been worse. Imagine his Batman!

When I ascend to godlike powers over all of creation, I'll smite whoever I feel like it, though in Liefeld's case, I'm probably not going to simply smite him but instead stick him someplace unpleasant until he learns to:

1. Draw human anatomy in proportion in natural poses

2. Learn to draw a range of body types

3. Learn to compose scenes without copying them from other people.

When I ascend to godlike power, I will put Liefeld into the Inflato-Mangler.

A machine that will force his body into the shape of one of his drawings, then hold it there so that he can feel what he has been doing to characters all these years.

KA.

The main thing I noticed when looking at the Teen Titans pages was that each panel seems completely unrelated to the others--there is no sense of events flowing from one panel to the next. I couldn't tell at all what was supposed to be happening. I've read plenty of good comics, and that seems like a major problem by comparison.

Oh, and regarding someone being a good writer and a good artist at the same time, I would refer you to Japanese comics. Most of them are written and drawn by the same person, and most of them are pretty good. Well, the ones that get imported are, anyway.

Zeropoint

Oh' date=' and regarding someone being a good writer and a good artist at the same time, I would refer you to Japanese comics. Most of them are written and drawn by the same person, and most of them are pretty good. Well, the ones that get imported are, anyway.[/quote']

There are good writer/artists around. It's rare to find them at DC or Marvel because both of them tend to favor the assembly line version of producing a comic book for practical reasons. If you go to the independents, it's a lot more common to find someone who both writes the comic book and draws it, and there are some good comics there.

If you count webcomics as comics, then the number goes up.

Guest bblackmoor

If you go to the independents' date=' it's a lot more common to find someone who both writes the comic book and draws it, and there are some good comics there. If you count webcomics as comics, then the number goes up.[/quote']

Scott McCloud is a good example of both.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I've decided to announce my new project here. I'm doing a 3 part adaptation of the Lord of the Rings. I'll have to compress a lot to fit the story in, especially since I've decided to do it all in splash panels.

I think everyone will finally see the classic the way it was meant to be seen. Man-boobs on Aragorn! Wangs on Eowyn! It'll be great!

Well, naturally. It's mine.

As long as Nucleon, or everybody else, is not forced to buy any, He has no problem with that. He might even take a look at it for curiosity.

Oh. And if Nucleon had any rep points left, he would give one to you, for sheer grace under adversity.

:ugly:

When I ascend to godlike power, I will put Liefeld into the Inflato-Mangler.

A machine that will force his body into the shape of one of his drawings, then hold it there so that he can feel what he has been doing to characters all these years.

Hmm. Actually, that's probably a good idea for a punishment until he learns to draw his characters properly.