Wwycd: They Blew It!!

Adventus

Re: Wwycd: They Blew It!!

Talion: As the New Legends are the primary/only superteam of their world, they would have been the ones in the city when it blew up, and Talion would have been right there with them. Thus, he is too busy regenerating to do anything until well after this situation is resolved.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a man, all my characters:

We aren't leaving. At least, not right now. There are a lot of people right here who need our help, and a lot of rebuilding to do. You don't want us around, fine. You don't want us to use our powers, fine. But we're going to help these people in every way that we can.

They will not raise violence against the people or the government; they are heroes, and heroes act for the people, not for petty preferences.

And on the citizenship thing--

as far as I've ever been able to determine, what is or is not US citizenship is entirely up to what is convenient for the US government in that situation. For example, I offer the US-born individuals who had left the US over ten years ago, renounced their citizenship, become citizens of other countries and even joined in the armed forces of other countries. But if you recall that guy who was caught in the Taliban and that other one in the Iraqi army--

well both of them were brought to the US and tried for their 'crimes' as US citizens.

Such has historically been the case, at least throughout my lifetime.

Dude, seriously, it would have been more convenient for us to *not* treat that guy as a citizen -- we could have just stuffed him in Camp X-Ray, then, as opposed to the relative slap on the wrist he did get.

It's just, sadly, laughing boy didn't renounce his citizenship in the proper legal form, so we were stuck.

AHEM !!!!!!!

MINDFLAIR: "Hookay, Menton, what are you up to this time ?"

WICCA: Simply wouldn't visit this Country on this Earth after this time anymore, until such time as the Government came to its senses. No big loss. Even if she did, how do you catch a time/dimension traveller with no Super help ?

DRAGON JANE: Is a Government Agent. If decomissioned, would simply have her What To Do With My Life conflict again. Greatest Model in Milan ?

Queen of Spades is merely a model in a superpowered battlesuit of her design, so... If she has an opportunity to speak in public about this, she'd simply point out that the new law only attempts to remove those with biological superpowers, and that it's a seriously stupid law anyways. Whomever thunk it up must be forgetting his Prozac or is mind-controlled, and without actual superheroes to protect the people here... well, it's like inviting Dr. Destroyer in for tea with the President.

Then she'd continue doing her usual hunt-and-punch-the-baddies.

Caleb: Isn't actually a hero, perse.

Barnstormer: "Hell, I was born here, I'm an American just like anyone else in the world, and I ain't leaving Texas, let alone America. You think you can just make me go to Mexico or France or Hawaii or Japan or something like that? I got news for you, I aim to stay."

Well.... Speaking as somebody WITH Dual-Citizenship, I can tell you that the US does not have dual-citizenship. By their policies, you are either an American citizen or you are a citizen of another country. When I natuaralized in 1995, I was told that you are now an American citizen ONLY. At which time the British Consulate stated, congratulations, you are now a Dual-Citizen.

Gestalt: "Ha... that figures.. I just get into the superhero game and they change the rules!". Gestalt would stay and go underground. He started off his career in the grey areas and now he is going back there.

Shogun: Packs up his power armor and heads off to the UN facilties, he then takes them up on their job offer.

Reaper: You do not tell the living incarnation of Death what to do..... He stays and continues to work for the good of those around him. After all, his boss didn't call for the lives of all of those people, so somebody has a balance due, and Reaper is just the person to collect it.

Red Knight: Shifts his companies assests to foreign businesses and then hangs around. After all, the villains are not going to quietly leave.

Golden Eagle, in a press conference: "In order to comply with the law, I will be flying to the Cayman Islands, where Dexter Morache has reincorporated DexCorp. We apologise for the nearly 200,000 layoffs that the government has forced us to make, but we can no longer insure the safety of our workers without the Services of Good Guys, Inc. Mr. Morache hopes to have new plants open in Mexico in thirty days, at which point, he will rehire any US workers who wish to relocate, at full salary and benefits..."

Bouncer makes a new mask, buys some Teach yourself Spanish CD's, and invests the $50,000 in a building on the US Mexico border from which he plans to broadcast Luchadore Gigante...

Dr. Anomaly would be in a very strange situation. First, two of the four members of the team have no strong ties to the U.S. -- Balrog, a gargoyle older than humanity and Scarab, a nanorobot colony with a strong affiliation with the Egyptian pantheon. My guess is they'd pull up stakes and move to Europe without much fuss other than some remarks about the foolishness of the government. Sentinel, the power-armor wearer, might go along as well...he has no strong ties in the U.S. except those he has with the team members, since he's on his "second life" anyway. It's not like it's the first time he'd have had to assume a new identity.

Dr. Anomaly wouldn't want to leave, primarily because he'd feel that to do so would be abandoning the common man, the citizenry he's sworn to protect, to the "mercies" of the supervillains as well as the stupidity of their own government. Though he could certainly continue the fight against villains elsewhere, it wouldn't feel right to leave. And, frankly, he'd be fighting hard to not give in to anger and vindictiveness toward the government.

Something else would be disturbing him greatly, though, and making him reluctant to leave. Not long ago, he had a stay in a parallel universe where Dr. Destroyer (called Lord Omega in our campaign) had taken over the U.S. and was doing a good job of extending that to the rest of the world. He and his team had become dark, bitter, ruthless shadows of the people he'd known in the course of fighting a losing underground war against Lord Omega and his forces. This vision of "what might have been" still gives him nightmares, and recently he'd started moving a lot of his secret ID's resources offshore, and buying heavily into certain non-U.S. companies...because, if what happened in that other world happens here, he wants to be prepared with a lot more non-U.S.-based resources available.

Having something like this crop up, while not the same route the other world took, seems uncomfortably close in spirit. That would make him even less likely to leave, but he would speed up the process of moving assets, etc. offshore -- as much as he could in 30 days, anyway.

While doing that, he'd start legal action against the Constitutionality of the law. He is a billionaire in his secret ID, after all, and can afford the best. He'd also start a massive advertising campaign against the law. Advertising remind the people of all the good that superheroes have done, and all the times they've save millions of lives and billions of dollars of property. If this dragged on past the given 30 days (and it likely would) then his advertisements would start comparing the loss of lives and money/property of the unopposed supervillain attacks with the losses during similar attacks that were foiled by superheroes, and let the populace get a good look at how much having the superheroes gone has cost them (and the government). And each ad would wind up with a running total of the losses due to unopposed supervillains since the 30-day mark began.

But everything else aside, he'd stay. He'd have to find a new place to use has his HQ, since the team's current base is publicly known. Also, he'd have to stretch his magical resources a bit, and make sure that he and his secret ID, Dr. Solomon Kinkaid, were always visible in two different places at the same time. (With the proper spells and such he has in the past summoned a non-powered doppleganger of himself when he had to be in two places at once in his super and secret IDs. That would have to become the standard.)

And he'd continue to oppose the villains, though he'd likely be out of his depth and alone. But he wouldn't be able to abandon his duty.

Or maybe he'd be able to convince some of the team to say and keep fighting the good fight, even if it was against the law.

And hopefully the law would be overturned as quickly as possible, and all would be able to return to "normal".

But no matter what, he'd stay. And he'd keep fighting for what he knows is right.

Well.... Speaking as somebody WITH Dual-Citizenship' date=' I can tell you that the US does not have dual-citizenship. By their policies, you are either an American citizen or you are a citizen of another country. When I natuaralized in 1995, I was told that you are now an American citizen ONLY. At which time the British Consulate stated, congratulations, you are now a Dual-Citizen.[/quote']

Thanks for the hands-on information. I'm glad to see how it supplements the somewhat "theoretical" information I supplied, and pointed to, back on post #50. :)

Bunny plans on wandering around this planet for the next few centuries, at least, and doesn't intend to be booted out of one of the more advanced nations...

She would smile politely up at the police officers from a wheelchair with her Cute Cute Big Eyes and Pink Fur and Long Ears, with neither her cybernetic legs nor her arms attached (or even anywhere in sight). "Super powers? Why no, officer, I don't have any super powers. Hm? No, those are just some prosthetics that I brought with me when I came to your friendly planet. Why, yes, I can change the colour of my fur, a little easier than with the dyes that are commercially available for your hair. Would you prefer I be a nice sky blue, or maybe lavendar? Is there something we need to discuss right here, or can we talk on the way to my appointment for this year's donation to the Battered Women's Shelter?"

Plus, "Hello, American Express Centurion credit card office? I'd like to make a million dollar transfer, split evenly between the ACLU and the Super Hero Legal Defense Fund."

Guest daeudi_454

Ion: during those 90 days, his negative side will gain control. That would be bad. He would likely crash the NYSE, the internet, and probably EMP Washington. He would force the government to call upon supers to save itself, from him.

Firedrake: He's a weredragon. He doesn't believe human laws apply to him.

The PC: "You got to be kidding. I swear, if I see one damned Sentinel..."

Quantum Cat: Go sideways in time to world where they saved the city. "Some things are too much for anyone to fight."