Sci-fi wear swords?

Citizen Keen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sci-fi wear swords?

My understanding is that was Lucas' original intent. But somehow by the time he got to RotJ, he had convinced himself that the Wookies weren't "primitive" enough anymore. So instead we got "Attack of the Killer Teddy Bears." :ugly:

bigdamnhero

“Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?â€

I thought that Endor Was the Wookie home world...but they all fled because they were terrified of their natural prediters...Ewoks....cute....but....Deadly...Uhhhh....".."

See, now that would have been funny--the Empire ignored the mostly-unknown Ewoks, who acted all friendly and cute twoards the stormtroopers. Then when the balloon went up, the Ewoks revealed their adamantine fangs and claws, and descended on the Imperials like a swarm of land piranhas, even rending the scout walkers asunder to get at the moist, tender innards.

See' date=' now [i']that[/i] would have been funny--the Empire ignored the mostly-unknown Ewoks, who acted all friendly and cute twoards the stormtroopers. Then when the balloon went up, the Ewoks revealed their adamantine fangs and claws, and descended on the Imperials like a swarm of land piranhas, even rending the scout walkers asunder to get at the moist, tender innards.

Sounds like Galaxy Quest!

bigdamnhero

"Didn't any of you ever watch the show?!"

I had this idea a couple of days ago. Let's say there's a society that often settles private disputes by duelling. In order for the duel to be legal, the duel must be sanctioned by the state. Both parties must also obtain a licence to duel. Furthermore, duels generally take the form of fencing, kendo, or even boxing or karate. Fighting to the death or grievous injury is forbidden by law.

If both parties agree, they can hire professional duellists to fight for them. All professional duellists must be members of a guild, which regulates prices and practices. The guild also provides financial and legal aid to its members if necessary. All members are equal in status, although, of course officers are elected to perform administrative duties.

Aside from their licences and dues, all professional duellists must take a yearly physical in order to ensure maximum performance. They also cross-train in different styles in order to get more jobs. The professionals are paid by the guild, which is paid directly by the clients.

Duelling professionally without belonging to the guild is illegal and is punishable by jailtime. Duelling without a licence is also punishable by doing hard time.

Heraldry would also be common in this society, used not only by wealthy families and corporations, but by many illustrious duellists as well. Undoubtedly, several duels over the right to bear a particular coat of arms would have been fought, even among professional duellists themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on the boards, but let's look at the question... Why use swords...? There is a simple reason... Swords outclass knives...

In a melee combat, a sword gave you a reach advantage... The fellow with the knife had to get inside your reach to threaten you...

Likely this is not the original intent of the question... More likely, what was meant is something like "Why use swords and NOT guns instead?"...

I will make no claims, I will just speculate...

Perhaps there are no guns anymore... Conventional guns use a contained explosion to propel a projectile at high velocity... This means that the ammo for a gun contains explosives... Which means it can be removed from the ammo and used to make a bomb...

And what are the uses of explosives, other than in guns...? Demolition and Excavation... If technology such as tractor/pressor beams, force fields, and cutting lasers exist, there may be no need for explosives... Due to the danger of terrorist bombing, explosives may be routinely scanned for, and highly illegal to own in any form...

Some folks may say "This means everyone will use Lasers, then!"... But let's look at how they do damage... The sword sticks through your armor and puts a hole in you... The laser begins burning and vaporizing from the outside in... Lasers attack the surfaces of things first, while a thrusting sword will hit someone's vitals a lot quicker... Of course, this means that to conform to this, a Laser probably needs to always take Reduced Penetration...

This does not mean guns will vanish... Gauss weapons and Air Rifles don't require explosives... However, the EMP of Gauss weapons will be detectable when they fire... High-power Air Rifles don't have that problem, but they might be classed as Military weapons, and hence restricted, or have a stigma to them, rather like Saturday Night Specials...

Plasma Blasters are even more noticable than Gauss weapons, so enough said about them...

Plus, let's look at weapons that use an electrical discharge to incapacitate... We have these today, but the taser, firing little darts, has its problems... The hand-held stunner is more effective, but has poor reach... Building this into a sword would seem to solve the problem... Someone is wearing insulated kevlar? Stick him with the sword, and stun him now that the swordtip is past the insulating armor... I can picture a stunsword as a progression from the stun baton you see in Sci-Fi already...

Plus, one more thing... Camoflage... If you're on a planet of alien primatives, you can explain yourself as being a zweeblok from the other end of the world... And you can use a sword and blend in, without the problem of being worshipped or reviled as a god/demon when you blow people away with your high-tech weaponry...

Just some thoughts...

Without reading the entire post, I can offer some basic reasons:

- Cost Efficiency.

- It looks cool.

- Lots of people have rED armor - there's a chance that in the construct of the world they don't have rPD, because melee weapons are so uncommon.

- Stealth Kills are always better with a blade.

- Guns aren't always the close combat weapons of choice

- It looks cool. Seriously.

Some thoughts.

BNkagawa - Capoiera is actually well suited to cramped spaces - you may not do all of the full body twirls, but the hand stand manuevers, knee attacks, leg locks, etc. and the fact the art is built to allow you to fight with your hands bound is all very helpful.

As god is my witness,

I thought the tread title was Sci Fi swear words....

I was looking for Frak and felgercarb and other such words and we got to talking about swords....

I had to go back and check....

Gotta gets these glasses fixed

:D :D :P

As god is my witness,

I thought the tread title was Sci Fi swear words....

I was looking for Frak and felgercarb and other such words and we got to talking about swords....

I had to go back and check....

Gotta gets these glasses fixed

:D :D :P

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37763&highlight=sci-fi+swear+words

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36768&highlight=sci-fi+swear+words