Supervillain Showdown #4 - Teleios vs. Mister Matthews!

guardiansorder

Superhero Showdown - THE VILLAINS - Round 4!

Champions vs. Silver Age Sentinels

Superhero RPG fans across the world determine the winners of epic battles between Champions and Silver Age Sentinels characters.

Showdown #3 is complete -- Black Harlequin eliminates Janus!

Showdown #4 has just started -- a scientist battle between

Teleios and Mister Matthews and their minion hoards!

Visit the Superhero Showdown website, read the battle synopsis, and vote for your favourite. Then pop over to the message boards and have your say.

Superhero Showdown:_ http://www.champions-vs-sas.com

Message Boards:_ http://pub84.ezboard.com/bsuperheroshowdown66104

Supervillain Showdown #4 voting ends 30 Mays 2003.

I've read the storys and voted. I wouldn't want to be one of the heros having to go up against either one of these to stop their most recent diabolical plan. But they just don't work in the setting they are thrust in.

TimS.

The GOO one has a serious flaw: No freaking setting. It just launches into dialogue about events taking place that haven't been shown, in a place that hasn't been described. That'd be fine, but the dialogue fails to get the job done in that regard.

The HERO one was written a bit better, but pulling a dragon out of the hat without any preamble was a bit lame.

Both companies need to bring up the level of writing on these things.

Cramming goodness into 500 words

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

Both companies need to bring up the level of writing on these things.

Considering that they only have around 500 or so words to establish a setting, both characters, and then describe the conflict which includes the rising action, climax and resolution while still trying to make it intersting and readable, I think they do a pretty good job. They need to bring up the level of writing? And if they don't, what happens?

I know I couldn't do better, but I don't profess to be a writer of any kind.

I voted for Matthews.

Good thing this is a comic-book world and everyone comes back from the grave eventually, because those were pretty lethal stories.

Had to go with the "disfigured freak". I think I just had a bad experience with a cloned army once and maybe I'm holding that against Teleios :eek:

Actually, I liked the writing of both of these this time. What was lacking in one, was abundant in the other so I felt that I got a good idea of the mindsets of both men. Usually, one or the other is far off the mark from what I believe is the character's personality.

Both seemed to pull 'trick hat' endings but I liked Mister Matthew's subtlety a bit more. And the endline was rather cute as well.

Re: Cramming goodness into 500 words

Originally posted by JoseG

Considering that they only have around 500 or so words to establish a setting, both characters, and then describe the conflict which includes the rising action, climax and resolution while still trying to make it intersting and readable, I think they do a pretty good job. They need to bring up the level of writing? And if they don't, what happens?

I know I couldn't do better, but I don't profess to be a writer of any kind.

I voted for Matthews.

To be fair, these are just small scenes. The last two Hero ones are some of the better stuff IMO.

Actually, nothing happens, except I gripe about it, so they don't need to do anything, but it'd be nice if they improved a couple of things. Some of the victories have been pretty lame, though I suppose the pulling a rabbit out of a hat thing is in genre.

• 2 weeks later...

The announcement of the Showdown homepage says this round's voting ends the 29th - that would be Thursday. Still close, though. :eek:

I put in my vote some time ago for Mr. Matthews. Much as I would like to support the Hero contingent :( , based on the stories presented Matthews won out for me over Teleios on the basis of personality. It wasn't a very nice personality, but he did show more of it than Teleios; we were privy to more of his thoughts and attitudes, which gave me a better sense of what he's about.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

The announcement of the Showdown homepage says this round's voting ends the 29th - that would be Thursday. Still close, though. :eek:

From what I have been seeing from past Showdowns, the date they give as the last date is usually the date they put up the new one. So we will probably see a new Showdown posted on the morning of the 29th, and thus the need to get your vote in by the evening of the 28th. :)