New guy likes END

kjamma4

In addition to the SPD chart, I am also digging the use of END. We are just starting a Fantasy HERO game (actually, we converted our D&D 3.5 characters somewhat and are continuing that campaign using HERO). Using END has put a whole new spin on the game. You can no longer just swing away endlessly but must rather budget your END. Your "kewl" powers are great, but they come at a cost. Thought must be put into when you use them and for which opponents (and the satisfaction is quite high when your gamble pays off.)

Me likey.

Re: New guy likes END

he he ... I see a thread like this every time you encounter a mechanic you really like. No problem with that, just think it's cool.

END is a nice touch that can even out the Magic vs NonMagic people .. one thing I never liked about DnD was that a fighter had infinite ability while a Mage had a finite limit to his usefulness (esp with those low HP).

I really enjoy when it is down to the wire pushing myself to the end. There is nothing more satisfying than taking no STUN from your opponents but only having a few points less due to END overburn. If you haven't experienced it, remember that each 2 points over your END total = 1d6 STUN.

Player: "I'm sure this time he will fall to my Amazing Power of Awesomenessitude, but I'm going to take 3d6 STUN in the process."

Player then proceeds to kill the baddy and stun himself. Sweet!

Give them an underwater encounter where they have to swim for a long distance and then attack them with nasties. They will burn 1 END/phase holding their breath and get no post-seg 12 recoveries. THAT is stress.

I have this image of a mage, low on stun and END, having to spend three or four turns running away from enemies because he loses 4 end a turn running and has a REC of 6, just to scrape enough energy together to pull off something awe inspiring in the magic department. Then he turns, and grins....

END is not perfect, by any means, but it is an excellent tool and a really good addition to the system.

New guy likes Speed Chart' date=' new guy likes END.[/quote']

New guy also likes the interaction between the Speed Chart and END. Yeah, I get four actions per turn to your three. However, I am spending more END per turn than you. I better make sure my extra attack puts you down before my END runs out or you are going to pound on new guy who has no END left.

Cool.

I really enjoy when it is down to the wire pushing myself to the end. There is nothing more satisfying than taking no STUN from your opponents but only having a few points less due to END overburn. If you haven't experienced it, remember that each 2 points over your END total = 1d6 STUN.

Player: "I'm sure this time he will fall to my Amazing Power of Awesomenessitude, but I'm going to take 3d6 STUN in the process."

Player then proceeds to kill the baddy and stun himself. Sweet!

In the last long-term FH campaign I played in, my spell flinger used to do this on a regular basis. It just wasn't considered a "real" combat session unless Danyel mananged to knock himself uncounscious.

New guy likes END

In the last long-term FH campaign I played in' date=' my spell flinger used to do this on a regular basis. It just wasn't considered a "real" combat session unless Danyel mananged to knock himself uncounscious.[/quote']

FH?

Fantasy Hero?

Are you sure you aren't describing Melee/Wizard??

Lucius Alexander

Sure, you can attempt to disbelieve the palindromedary....

kjamma4, I'm really enjoying hearing about your HERO System discoveries. When HERO veterans discuss the game we tend to focus on the stuff we don't like or want to change. Sometimes I think we take all the cool bits that drew us to the game in the first place for granted.

It's refreshing to look at the game through your eyes - like visiting a familiar place with someone who's never been there before. :)

kjamma4, I'm really enjoying hearing about your HERO System discoveries. When HERO veterans discuss the game we tend to focus on the stuff we don't like or want to change. Sometimes I think we take all the cool bits that drew us to the game in the first place for granted.

It's refreshing to look at the game through your eyes - like visiting a familiar place with someone who's never been there before. :)

LL just rather eloquently stated something I was thinking while reading your threads.

A lot of newcomers might think were disaffected because we discuss how to change the minutae of the system to tweak it JUST RIGHT. What gets lost in the discussion is just how incredibly cool 98% of the system is without tweaking, especially compared to most other systems.

LL just rather eloquently stated something I was thinking while reading your threads.

A lot of newcomers might think were disaffected because we discuss how to change the minutae of the system to tweak it JUST RIGHT. What gets lost in the discussion is just how incredibly cool 98% of the system is without tweaking, especially compared to most other systems.

Thirded

kjamma4' date=' I'm really enjoying hearing about your HERO System discoveries. When HERO veterans discuss the game we tend to focus on the stuff we don't like or want to change. Sometimes I think we take all the cool bits that drew us to the game in the first place for granted.[/quote']

Agreed.