New Superman movie trailer with tonight's Smallville

Dragonblade

This seemed like the most appropriate forum for this since its more closely related with Champions and superheroes than with General gaming, or the political speak of NGD. Sorry if this shouldn't go here. But I wanted to share the news! ;)

The teaser trailer for the new Superman movie is set to debut with tonight's episode of Smallville (11/17/2005) on the WB network. The trailer will then play before the new Harry Potter movie which opens Friday.

Tonight's episode of Smallville should be pretty good too. Brainiac tries to convince Clark that Jor-El is evil and tries to get him to destroy the Fortress of Solitude.

Re: New Superman movie trailer with tonight's Smallville

From what I've read, Bryan Singer is using the first 2 original movies as the backdrop for Superman Returns. So there may or may not be actual footage from those movies in the new one, but the voice overlays seem like a strong possibility. After the events in the first 2 original movies, Supes disappears for a bit, then returns (hence the title) and this film deals with the way the world has gone on without and deals with the return of Superman.

Highlight below for spoilers...

While Superman has been gone on a 6 year round trip to Krypton to see if he is indeed the last son of that doomed planet, Lois Lane has moved on with her life. Lois Lane now has a five-year-old son and the father is no other than Richard White, played by James Marsden. When Superman returns Lois and Richard are engaged to be married.

I think the trailer sucked. While I appreciate the emphasis on the classic Reeve movies (at least the first two- I heard that three and four are now out of continuity), I want to see more of the new stuff. Or not... the cape looked terrible. Would it have been too much to have tailored the look more to the original movies? The colors for the body suit are ok but the cape is too leathery and dark. And when did Kal get so young... and Lois too? Oh yeah, she has a kid with someone else?

WTH?!?!?

I will try to keep the faith though.

You sir need to take your horrific autofellatio jokes back to the NGD where they belong!

I didn't mean it that way, Mr Pottynoggin. I was gonna say "sucks a lemon", but I quite enjoy lemons. My other choice was "*****s my ****** on the *** of **********", But I thought that a bit strong for just a bad TV show.

Am I the only one who thinks "Smallville" sucks a brick? I've seen 3 episodes and I can't see why people like this crap.

I'm not a fan of Smallville. My wife and I tried watching it a bit in seasons 2 and 3; there were a few good eps, but most of it was junk. The TWOP recaps are still good for a laugh.

Don't much like the Superman trailer, or much of the buzz about the film. Lois hasn't gotten arount to marrying the father of her child even after six years? And everybody is now in their twenties again?

Still, going from the first two of the old films seems like a good choice, and it looks much better than that "Lex Luthor is a Kryptonian FBI agent" script that was going around.

I'm not holding my breath for this one, honestly. I may be alone, but I think trying to marry this one to the previous films from decades ago is a mistake. Plus, the costume looks like ***.

That being said, I thought the latest Batman movie would suck, too. :o

I'll disent, I enjoyed the teaser trailer. Granted it was rather quick, but it looked like they did a good job of capturing Superman in flight, will have to see how the script holds up. It is a bit odd, them tying the movie to the first two movies, and then deaging everyone. I don't think they have to stick to comic book continuity if they can make a good story by diverging.

Smallville was okay the first season, meh the second season, and has gone down hill from there.

There was an interview in SciFi Wire a few days ago with Singer, they are using clips and old voice recordings of Brando to bring him to life in this movie.

Finally, am I the only one that finished Brando's narration like this:

"They are a good people stuck in the dark, they just need someone to show them the light. That is why I sent you, my only son to Earth. Now don't **** it up."

it gave me goosebumps...

probably just the music...

really looking forward to seeing it...

wondering if I am the only comic nerd to notice that the webpics of the new 'Superman' have his hair parted on the opposite side from how he was protrayed by Mr. Reeve and countless comic artists (the trademark 'spit-curl' now forms a symbolic letter 'Z')

"Hyper!... Hyper!... Hyper-Powers Activate!"

Player: I rolled an 18

GM: you explode

I was a bit underwhelmed by the trailer, but I still liked it.

But man, you guys are negative! I actually didn't like Smallville when it first started, but the series has grown on me. I just went out and bought seasons 1 through 4 on DVD. Actually the series has gotten a lot better than when it started.

The current season is awesome. I mean who doesn't like James Marsters as Brainiac? The episode where Clark dies and is reborn is awesome. They really did an excellent job of alluding to Clark as a Christ figure. I thought it was quite powerful stuff.

But then again, Superman is my favorite iconic comic character of all time.

I'd have to agree. I hated the show from concept at first and didnt even touch it till near the end of season 2. Now I find it to be one of the more amusing 'elseworld' tales for Superman they have going.

That and its not like there is anything better to watch on tv these days...

I figure the more you like Superman, the less you'd like Smallville.

I have only seem the Krypto origin episode, the *ahem* Aquaman episode, and half the vampire episode which was worth it to hear James Marsden say "There are no vampires, Clark." Perhaps I saw the three worst episodes of the run so far, but I doubt it.

I find the stories are sub-Misfits of Science level, the dialogue is poorly written and there's a Duke boy playing Pa Kent. What's to like?

Based solely on the trailer I saw at Comic-Con, my hopes are huge. I have great faith in Bryan Singer.

At comic-con they used the jor-el voiceover. And it sounds like they'll use a little computer wizardry to include him a tiny bit in this film. I hope that doesn't mean a full CGI Brando or anything.

I have only seem the Krypto origin episode, the *ahem* Aquaman episode, and half the vampire episode which was worth it to hear James Marsden say "There are no vampires, Clark." Perhaps I saw the three worst episodes of the run so far, but I doubt it.

I find the stories are sub-Misfits of Science level, the dialogue is poorly written and there's a Duke boy playing Pa Kent. What's to like?

It's a dopey show. The adult actors (John Schneider, John Glover and Annette O'Toole) and Michael Rosenbaum are pretty good to excellent, but are limited by the really, REALLY bad dialogue. Nobody else on the show is there for their acting ability (I think the guy who played frat-boy Aquaman was probably the worst I've seen).

Yes, those episodes seemed to be ones where they made up a story for filler because they weren't ready to continue the seasonal plot threads. They certainly weren't what I would call the best.

However, I really enjoyed the rendition of the Flash that they did. Also, since I don't read comics, I don't have any investment in the classic stories from the comics. I can see how anyone who is into the comic books would be turned off by this TV series, since it isn't really trying to emulate the comics. I would compare it to a "What If?" type comic or alternate universe where there are similiarities, but nothing is guaranteed to be the same.

Just My Humble Opinion

Addendum: I was disappointed to hear that Bryan Singer dropped X-Men III to flounder to take on the Superman Returns movie. I lost some respect for him, but that's just me.

- Christopher Mullins

The Krypto episode and the vampire episode were definitely not among the better episodes. TheAquaman episode I missed so I cannot comment.

However, I think all of the cast is good, except for Lana. I just don't like her character at all. But I love Michael Rosenbaum as Lex and Tom Welling as Clark. Yes, Tom Welling does have that WB prettyboy image, but seeing him in the episodes where Lionel Luther takes over his body and he becomes evil, and then most recently in Splinter where Clark becomes super paranoid, has shown me that he is a good actor.

In fact, I really wish they had cast him in the new Superman movie. But I'll give Brandon Routh a shot.