Enemies of San Angelo

Dominique

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Enemies of San Angelo

EoSA wasn't a bad product. I enjoyed it. One of the things which always interested me about San Angelo was the humancentric concept of all the characters. The write ups in EoSA all had npcs/friends short-form written up with the main characters so you were able to delve into their lives a little more than what is normally allowed in a villan book. I also like the fact that the San Angelo line of products use npc text boxes throughout the books to add more flavor to them. Seeing what Joe Normal had to say about someone was always interesting. Those are the types of things I wish DOJ would do more of. If Gold Rush Games published an EoSA for M&M I would buy it in an instant, even with the boring 10-years-out-of-date layout style.

The book is 96 pages long. It has 2 teams [Anarchy and The Scions]. That section taking up 32 pages but includes the villain write ups, npc write ups, and various history/tactics/other information. Most of the solo villains take up 2 pages each [and that includes the npc write ups as well].

One more question, how many of you guys would be interested in seeing the return of the San Angelo books, with the material updated for 5th edition stats? GRG has clearly stated that they would be happy to update the material as long as they can make their money back.

I for one was deeply impressed with this book. The villians were not really groundbreaking, but they actually felt like they had superpowers.

At the time, most hero villians had a predictible level of attack/CV/Def and it was really just a question of what they called eacj slot in the multipower. Enemies of SA broke the mold and gave us villians with weird writeups that actually reflected their powers and didn't automatically have a 12d6 EB.

It was a deeply refreshing reminder of why I liked Hero for Supers. And Deadweight was one of the funnest one-trick ponies I've ever thrown at my players.

One more question' date=' how many of you guys would be interested in seeing the return of the San Angelo books, with the material updated for 5th edition stats? GRG has clearly stated that they would be happy to update the material as long as they can make their money back.[/quote']

I bought every San Angelo (Hero) product that got printed, and enjoyed them quite a bit. San Angelo works well as the core of super hero setting and (with very little work) can dropped into just about any typical existing super hero campaign setting if you need another fleshed city (back in the 4th edition days I introduced it as just another city is my Champions universe game and eventually shifted the main focus of the campaign to it).

I would jump all over 5th edition Hero San Angelo products.

It was a deeply refreshing reminder of why I liked Hero for Supers. And Deadweight was one of the funnest one-trick ponies I've ever thrown at my players.

Thanks, I had a lot of fun with Deadweight myself. Players hated him and the best comment was, "Yeah, the real Deadweight is between his ears." :D

WOW!! I am pleased to see these responses. Always good to hear about folks using the SA line. I've seen a lot of talk about the city book and Enemies. How many of you are using the Denizens book? What were your impressions of it?

As an aside, I went through and updated all the character stats in all the books to 5th ed, but we are waiting to put them into SACoH 2e once we figure out who makes the 'cut', and what their 'growth' will be. Mark and I have kicked around several ideas of the changes that have occurred over the last several years. You'll have to wait to see what those are.

Also, we need to determine if it will be worth it to us to jump back into the line. I will also add that there are a few discussions on the GRG boards about the line and upcoming news for any interested in reading it.

As an aside' date=' I went through and updated all the character stats in all the books to 5th ed, but we are waiting to put them into SACoH 2e once we figure out who makes the 'cut', and what their 'growth' will be. Mark and I have kicked around several ideas of the changes that have occurred over the last several years. You'll have to wait to see what those are.[/quote']

Are you guys still looking for feed back on what people would like to see in a 2e book?

Also' date=' we need to determine if it will be worth it to us to jump back into the line. I will also add that there are a few discussions on the GRG boards about the line and upcoming news for any interested in reading it. [/quote']

Not trying to get in your business, but I've got a couple of quick questions. What the minimum number of sales you'd need to at least break even? I'd at like to see you guys come out of this with a little extra jingle in your pockets.

Would a PDF be cheaper for you to produce, and then have POD option available for those who want it?

Are you guys still looking for feed back on what people would like to see in a 2e book?

Of course. We're always open to suggestions. We can't guarantee they will be included, but we're open to them, and have asked for them a few times on the GRG boards.

Not trying to get in your business' date=' but I've got a couple of quick questions. What the minimum number of sales you'd need to at least break even? I'd at like to see you guys come out of this with a little extra jingle in your pockets.[/quote']

:lol: You're not the only one. ;) Unforunately I can't give you any numbers since we have no idea how much it will cost, plus Mark would probably skin me alive if I did. ;)

Would a PDF be cheaper for you to produce' date=' and then have POD option available for those who want it?[/quote']

Pretty much everything we have produced recently has been in that format so yes, it is cheaper than paying for a huge print run and then having no one buy any.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Of course. We're always open to suggestions. We can't guarantee they will be included' date=' but we're open to them, and have asked for them a few times on the GRG boards.[/quote']

I don't have the book in front of me, and I cannot remember the character's name, unfortunately. The android "weapons supplier" who doesn't know he's an android and was created by the artificially intelligent supercomputer...

He needs to not be in power armor. I introduced him to the players and they keyed almost immediately to the fact that he's a machine based solely on his appearance. Make him look like a middle aged scientist... a schlub, in other words, and he works so much better.

I love Enemies of San Angelo! It has my favorite individual villain (Deadweight! After reading his write-up and build, you'll see why I was so disappointed in Gravatar) and one of my favorite villain teams, Anarchy. (I even had plans for them -in a previous campaign- to ambush Eurostar when Eurostar came after the PCs.) I like the Scions so much that I've been trying to create a mentalist with that name to fit into campaigns. Out of the many (33, did MitchellS say?) characters, there were only 3 that I didn't care for, which is a much lower number than other books.

I personally love the San Angelo campaign setting; it's what I use for my face-to-face game. I really can't see how you'd be disappointed with this book. Nearly every piece of artwork is great, practically every villain has a 'normal' who has some history with said villain, it really is a great book. The only thing I wish the book had (that I can recall) is that the villain Chrome's write-up included a write-up for the deceased hero Alloy.

If you have the opportunity to purchase it, do so! :thumbup:

I don't have the book in front of me' date=' and I cannot remember the character's name, unfortunately. The android "weapons supplier" who doesn't know he's an android and was created by the artificially intelligent supercomputer....[/quote']

Dr. Talos. :dyn

I've used Dr. Talos and Prometheus (with modifications) in my own campaign. Among the modifications, I changed the robot's name to Dr. Daedalus. IMO "Talos" is just too much of a giveaway that it's actually a robot. OTOH "Daedalus" better suits the Doctor's role as a technical genius for hire, and keeps the connection to Talos for clever PCs to eventually figure out.

I enjoyed Enemies of San Angelo quite a bit. There were a number of interesting, original concepts there. Personal favorites included the abovementioned Prometheus and Dr. Talos, Anarchy (good focussed group motivation, and some cool backgrounds), Deadweight (a thug with an innovative gimmick), Mastermind (the only thing more disturbing than a hero who's gone too far, is one with the mental powers to make you do the same); and my fave of the group, Senora del Oro - wonderful name, rich background, defined and understandable motivations, and a logical powerset. Also, one of the nicest illustrations in the book.