And For My Next Trick...

Dust Raven

This is about the same character from the "Cloak"ing Device thread. Her name is Encantra, and she's a pulp era superhero whose powers are all classic stage illusion made reality. She can pull a rabit out of her hat, summon doves from the air, levitate, make things vanish, etc...

What we (her player and I) are looking for are ideas of Powers she can have that follow these lines. She's being designed for a solo one-on-one campaign so we have something to do between our biweekly games, and needs to be fairly self sufficient.

Her current powers include magic rings she can use as projectiles or to trap people (not really a stage magician trick, but magic rings are somewhat popular), a magic hat she can teleport small objects to her with, a cloak that makes her or other people/objects vanish, a deck of telekinetic playing cards and the ability to summon doves she can use as messengers or spies.

And we're turning to the Hero System Unimind for more ideas...

Rep to all who provide us with an idea we'll use (even if not right away). And that's for each idea; if I can't rep you, I'll get her on here to do it.

Re: And For My Next Trick...

The Lady is the Tiger, either as a Multiform for herself or as a Summon that must follow wrapping someone else in her cloak.

Fire Breathing of course (there's a real world magician whose name escapes me at the moment who once used his Fire Breathing trick to chase off some toughs harrassing a chorus girl after the show).

Add in all sorts of Fre Handling, just as an SFX fo an ED force field.

Snatching Bullets and Arrows out of the air was a classic stage magic trick, one Penn and Teller were still doing in the 90s. Use Missile Deflection, or even Reflection.

Juggling an Knife Throwing have obvious applications.

All sorts of transformation attacks.

There's a trick where knives cut and pierce the magician's flesh, then the magician rubs at the blood with a rag and "She's OK!" Call it Healing that can be used once per turn on the same subject, or Armor that doesn't stop penetration, or both.

Cool ideas so far! The Lady/Tiger sounds great, but probably something the character will build up to with experience.

Talked with the player last night and it looks like Encantra is focusing on Escapology, the art of escaping traps and restraints. Apparently her role-model/personal hero is Houdini. She'll definately have other tricks she can do (just like Houdini) but be an expert at escaping certain death (lots of Skill points spent on Lockpicking and Contortionist). The Desolid idea might work for most of this, but I'm not too convinced about its applicibility to all situations, or the need for such a heavy point cost.

Keep these ideas coming!

Cool ideas so far! The Lady/Tiger sounds great, but probably something the character will build up to with experience.

Talked with the player last night and it looks like Encantra is focusing on Escapology, the art of escaping traps and restraints. Apparently her role-model/personal hero is Hudini. She'll definately have other tricks she can do (just like Hudini) but be an expert at escaping certain death (lots of Skill points spent on Lockpicking and Contortionist). The Desolid idea might work for most of this, but I'm not too convinced about its applicibility to all situations, or the need for such a heavy point cost.

Keep these ideas coming!

Being a big fan of Houdini and Mr. Miracle, I think it's a great way to go. I've always been fond of using a minor transform: locked to unlocked as a start. I've been shouted down for it, too, so it's obviously not for everyone.

How about Invisibility (to at least the Sight Group) with RSR: Magician (PS) (or a suitable Power Skill if the character has one) and Only While Stationary (-1)? The RSR can probably cover things like the magician needing some sort of prop, situation, or other cover to use it, but you could add in another Real Magic (-1/4) Limitation or some such if you felt like it.

EDIT: Oh. Upon re-read that might be covered by her cloak. Sorry.

Hey, Watch Me Pull a Rabbit Out Of My Hat!: Summon 25-point creatures, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Very Limited Group (Any animal small enough to be pulled out of a hat.; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points); OIF (Any Hat; would be an OAF, but any hat will do. Animal limited by hat size.; -1/2), Gestures (Must reach into hat with a flourih and pull animal out.; -1/4), Incantations ("Hey! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"; -1/4). Real Cost: 5

With XP, she could improve her class of beings so that the hat size is no longer an issue, allowing her to move on to "Hey, watch me pull a Rabbi out of my hat!"

Animals are friendly and will perform simple tricks, but are not slavishly loyal and thus may simply flee from stressful situations at GM's option.

The other "shills" of there era include the manequin acts. Maybe a henchman who is the typical horrific animated dummy.

There are also lots of prognosticators. Low-level mind reading. Purported telekinesis/poltergeist phenomena. Aura reading.

I've got a pulp character (built in a different system) who has mind reading (reading high-level thoughts), charged (roughly 5 per day equivalent) telekinesis, aura reading and mentalist-based invisability. Tack on decent skills and you have a pretty self-sufficient build.

Sounds a bit like Mumbo-Jumbo from the Teen Titans TV show. There was also a lady magician who helps Batman in one JLU episode - the one where Wonder Woman becomes Wonder Pig - but I don't know the character's name.

Some Magician skills/Powers, off the top of my head (no 5ER handy): high DEX, Sleight of Hand, Concealment (for hiding things up sleeves), Lightning Reflexes (hand is quicker than the eye), Acting, Oratory (stage patter, exception: Teller), Lockpicking/Security Systems, Contortionist, limited Life Support (can hold breath for a long time), Flash/Darkness (vanish in a puff of smoke, dim the houselights), and a Gadget Pool (stage props). For "superpowered" magic: Desolid, Teleport (self and UOO), Invisibility, Summon, Transform, Dispel, maybe Shrinking (alternative to Desolid get out of bonds or sealed boxes etc, or perhaps as well as), Mental Illusions. Perk: Member of Magician's Guild. Some sort of ability to Disarm (Mook: "Freeze or I'll shoot!" Magician: "With what?" Mook looks down - hand is empty. Mook looks up - Magician is twirling his pistol around her finger. "Lost something?").

Hey, Watch Me Pull a Rabbit Out Of My Hat!: Summon 25-point creatures, Friendly (+1/4), Expanded Class of Beings Very Limited Group (Any animal small enough to be pulled out of a hat.; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points); OIF (Any Hat; would be an OAF, but any hat will do. Animal limited by hat size.; -1/2), Gestures (Must reach into hat with a flourih and pull animal out.; -1/4), Incantations ("Hey! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"; -1/4). Real Cost: 5

With XP, she could improve her class of beings so that the hat size is no longer an issue, allowing her to move on to "Hey, watch me pull a Rabbi out of my hat!"

Animals are friendly and will perform simple tricks, but are not slavishly loyal and thus may simply flee from stressful situations at GM's option.

This cries out for "side effects."

"Whoops, musta grabbed the wrong hat!"

"Again!?"

This cries out for "side effects."

"Whoops, musta grabbed the wrong hat!"

"Again!?"

"No doubt about it, Fred -- I gotta get another hat!"

Which brings up the possibility that the character can secret the most unexpected items away in her costume in a manner that far exceeds the capabilities of even an 18- Concealment skill. Sometimes it might make sense: "Hey, where did those keys come from?" "Hey, where did that lockpick come from?" "Hey, where did that pistol come from?" And sometimes it might defy the bounds of logic: "Hey, where did that sub-machinegun come from?" "Hey, where did that Buick come from?"

Hiding an item so big that you can't possibly carry it on your person, like the Buick mentioned above, is another neat trick. By using a variant on the "making an elephant disappear" trick, the character can seed the scene with useful items that only she has any idea are there. Effectively, they become Invisible until she reveals them (usually just before using them). A good enough magician can conceal the most improbable things, like brick walls (nothing beats tricking a bunch of goons into running full-speed into a wall they can't see) and Burmese Tiger Traps (if you're really nasty the trap can come pre-equipped with its very own Burmese Tiger!).