THE ULTIMATE SPEEDSTER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THE ULTIMATE SPEEDSTER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I just this morning was reminded of the "Improved Acceleration" and "Improved Deceleration" Adders in TUV. These should definitely be ported over into TUSp' date=' complete with sample Powers.[/quote']

Actually (and not to gt too picky), the Adders are called Increased Acceleration and Increased Deceleration. "Improved Acceleration/Deceleration" is a group of Advantages discussed on p.84, under Movement Powers.

And a section in Ult. Speed. on those Advnatages would go well. Put it with the section of Increased Acc/Dec. ;)

I'd like to see the DEATH of my pet peeve, the *barehanded* dissassembly of things at superspeed power. Very little can be dismantled without the use of tools.

The real challenge I'd like to see addressed though, is to separate movement from SPD. So a normal running noncombat moves 2" per segment, not in fits and spurts on phases six and twelve.

Actually (and not to gt too picky)' date=' the Adders are called [b']Increased[/b] Acceleration and Increased Deceleration. "Improved Acceleration/Deceleration" is a group of Advantages discussed on p.84, under Movement Powers.

And a section in Ult. Speed. on those Advnatages would go well. Put it with the section of Increased Acc/Dec. ;)

Gad... that's what I get for posting without the book at my elbow.

And me, the co-author, and the guy who invented the Adders! :eek:

I'd like to see the DEATH of my pet peeve' date=' the *barehanded* dissassembly of things at superspeed power. Very little can be dismantled without the use of tools.[/quote']

Perhaps not in the world you and I live in, where flying unaided is an extremely unwise thing to attempt, but this "pet peeve" you mention is such a useful part of the genre that it will be in at least some campaigns.

An Ultimate book should not be about "getting rid" of things that don 't make logical sense, because that is a GM-by-GM and campaign-by-campaign judgment call. Rather, it should take the opposite approach -- showcasing how to do anything that is within the subject, and letting the GM decide whether the ability is too powerful or "out there" to allow into their game. Likewise, books like Fantasy HERO Grimoires should include things like Ressurection spells even if many (if not most) FH GMs don't allow ressurection magic, at least not in the hands of PCs.

The real challenge I'd like to see addressed though, is to separate movement from SPD. So a normal running noncombat moves 2" per segment, not in fits and spurts on phases six and twelve.

As much logical sense as that seems to make, this would so funademntally alter the way HERO is played (not to mention complciating matters immensely) that I'd advise against it.

The Ultimate Speed

As much logical sense as that seems to make, this would so funademntally alter the way HERO is played (not to mention complciating matters immensely) that I'd advise against it.

I am not so sure that having segmented movement would make things more complicated; but you are right that it would be very DIFFERENT than the way Hero runs now. Possibly it's another topic that they could discuss as an optional rule. I'm not sure one would gain enough by it to make it worth the hassle of changing, but I don't see it as inherently more complex than the way it's always been done.

Lucius Alexander

Riding a palindromedary at the speed of heavy.

Actually (and not to gt too picky), the Adders are called Increased Acceleration and Increased Deceleration. "Improved Acceleration/Deceleration" is a group of Advantages discussed on p.84, under Movement Powers.

Gad... that's what I get for posting without the book at my elbow.

And me, the co-author, and the guy who invented the Adders! :eek:

Well, I can't claim superiority. I mean, three spelling gaffs in one short post!?? Oy!

I shall hide my head in shame. :o :o :o

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Maybe' date=' but remember what Chiun said to Remo right after he ran across the water (at the end of the movie) : "You must run very fast!" So who says that they cant run faster than normal? :D

In the books its explained that they're just distributing their weight differently.

I almost forgot something fairly important: Extra-Dimensional Movement. This Power has already been expanded and updated for 5ER, but it may call for a bit more fine-tuning, along with a description of various different types of dimensions, using the setup of dimensions in the Hero Multiverse as a template (and probably bringing in previously-published text from SH, FH, and/or TMW).

Oh, then that's a relief. And here I was worried that it was too late to suggest an Adder for Teleportation to make it safe to use in water (see Hidden Lands, page 34). I'd suggest 5 points as a cost. And maybe something similar could be done with solids, for 20 points (though the character teleporting into a solid, while taking no direct damage, would still have to find a way out).

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say thanx to everyone who offered a suggestion! The first draft of USP is now done! Tomorrow, final pre-layout editing begins. ;)

Some highlights:

--approx. 180,000 words, or roughly 20% longer than the UMM manuscript. So, we're probably looking at a book in the range of 260-300 pages

--over 300 example powers

--14 characters (2 revised and 12 new), five for Champions and nine for other genres

--lots of other cool stuff :hex:

I think I speak for most people when saying "I want it now!"

LOL. I sympathize, but first it has to go through the whole production process. However, if I can get it all done in time, I may go ahead and do a quick-and-dirty text flow into one of Andy's stock templates, then slap through a few formatting search-and-replaces, to get a document that vaguely looks like a Hero book in most respects, then make a printout and bring it along to show at DunDraCon. Ve shall zee....

then make a printout and bring it along to show at DunDraCon. Ve shall zee....
Alas I can't make it to DunDraCon (as I live Down Under) but I'm sure Herodom Assembled will appreciate seeing a rough draft.

Well, darn.... I'd just been looking through TUB last night, saw the section on "Bricks And The Environment," and was about to suggest that a "Speedsters And The Environment" section be included in this book. But now it's too late; I hope you did it anyway, Steve.