THE ULTIMATE SPEEDSTER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: THE ULTIMATE SPEEDSTER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

A couple more ideas...

12) Wuxia movement tricks. You could probably grab a few bits from NH (I have the book, but haven't yet gone through it extensively). This should probably range from the simple Cleopatra 2525-style "super-athletics" tricks (like running down a narrow corridor in spiral fashion going up one wall, across the ceiling, and down the other wall) to the crazy stuff we saw in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and [/i]The Matrix[/i].

13) Tricks and options using Knockback and Knockback Resistance (the latter, to return to an earlier idea, being a good power for the "super-slow").

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would an appropriately built Detect work?

Doesn't USPD I already have this -- buying MegaScale on your Normal Sight to match whatever MegaScale you have on your speed, to allow you to perceive normally at MegaSpeed?

Doesn't USPD I already have this -- buying MegaScale on your Normal Sight to match whatever MegaScale you have on your speed' date=' to allow you to perceive normally at MegaSpeed?[/quote']

well, that'd allow you to perceive at great distances, but for seeing something as you're zipping by, you'd probably need the "Rapid" sense mod.

I second all of the suggestions thus far.

Some of my own:

1) Explain the use of the "Usable as [Other Movement]" Advantage; It really seems to cheapen other modes of movement

2) Movement Transition: I've had confused players before, so maybe some concrete text that I can point to.

3) Better Cover Art, if nothing else (Did we all see CW, TUM, and USPD2?)

4) A table that maps out KPH/MPH --> Movement x"

Apologies Steve for posting and not finishing reading the thread, I'm still reading. I did a quick search on the topic first.

Also good would be things like hyperlearning and hyperthinking... Bart Allen's recent self-education being a good example of both.

And of course non-klunky ways to do the standard speedster tricks like cleaning the house in two seconds' date=' reading all the books in the library in one minute, etc., - i.e., doing stuff really fast that doesn't necessarily involve movement.[/quote']

Some more examples of super-speed Talents. in the main book there is Speedreading (which should be included and expanded upon ;) ), but others I can think of are super-hearing (probably built the same way as speed reading) and motor-mouth, a person who speaks fast.

Suleyman Rashid's hyperlearning and hyperthinking could be implemented as Talents as well as PhilFleischmann's examples.

More examples of Talents would be great. Thanks for listening. :):hex:

Some more examples of super-speed Talents. in the main book there is Speedreading (which should be included and expanded upon ;) ), but others I can think of are super-hearing (probably built the same way as speed reading) and motor-mouth, a person who speaks fast.

Suleyman Rashid's hyperlearning and hyperthinking could be implemented as Talents as well as PhilFleischmann's examples.

More examples of Talents would be great. Thanks for listening. :):hex:

As I explained on a recent thread, The Flash (Wally West) routinly uses his speed to learn new langagues and skills in very short order, but he also ususally forgets them shortly thereafter. Hypercramming so to speak. However, when the Flash does it he usually manages to understand what he's learning fairly well. For example, he learned everything he could about structural engineering and then built a river spanning bridge on his own in less then 30 seconds. This obviously would require multiple KS, SS and PS. Bart, on the other hand, only managed to memorize quickly. He didn't really understand the material. He didn't actully learn anything. He had information, not knowledge.

I think it's best modeled by either a Skill VPP (which many GM's forbid as too cheesy), lots of Cramming or just the SFX of spending XP (for those skills that you keep permanently).

I suppose Steve could create a STOP sign skill called Supercramming or some such. Works just like cramming, only you pay extra up front and get a higher base roll. Something like:

Basic Cramming: 8- roll, Basic Conversation, or any one point skill

Enhanced Cramming: 11- roll, Fluent Conversation or any two point skill.

SuperCramming: any 3pt skill or Completly Fluent

Alternatly, there could be a talent or some such that would allow you to use Overall levels with those skills you have obtained via cramming.

On the language front, you have Universal Translator. That works well so long as you have some non-powered means of translating first. The Flash can easily pick up an English - Spanish dictionary and learn it at super speeds, but he won't be much help in translating Ancient Martain since there is no textbook on the subject (or is there...?).

Hyperthinking would probably be best described as bonuses to INT/Skills, only to countreract time modifier. That's already in the USPD2 actully (Think Fast p65). You could also have other the Hyper-intelligence type powers, like limited Precognition or Retrocognition, to demonstrate your ability to rapidly deduce your opponents actions.

I'd like to see an explaination of how Speedreading is built. It's a limited combination of Rapid, Descriminatory and Analyze for Sight Group. Perhaps explain what a Speedster with only Rapid (or only Rapid and Descriminatory) would pick up at super speeds. Same thing could be done with Speedsampeling (the nickname we gave to the talent for listening to audio books and CD's in fast forward).

Motormouth is actully both the name of and the primary disadvantage for an an NPC in one of our games. She's uses her power as a superspeed courier and pitty the fool that asks her to deliver a verbal message. Not only will she NOT shut up, but when she get's excited she talks so fast no one (not even most other speedsters) can tell what the hell she is saying. Infact, in a recent comic book, Quicksilver spoke so fast that he was possibly yelling at ultrasonic frequencies.

As such, I'd like to see how you build the ability to talk so fast only people with superspeed can understand you. And how you can build a character that can speak in multiple audible ranges. I always figured building SpeedSpeaking as a language might be ok or possibly requiring Rapid for Voice to speak it and Rapid for Hearing to understand it.

In the case of Ultrasonic capable vocal cords, possibly using Transmit, but that never quite settled right since Transmit seems to be designed for sending long range signals.

As such' date=' I'd like to see how you build the ability to talk so fast only people with superspeed can understand you. And how you can build a character that can speak in multiple audible ranges. I always figured building SpeedSpeaking as a language might be ok or possibly requiring Rapid for Voice to speak it and Rapid for Hearing to understand it. [/quote'] Thank for writing your post Bloodstone. My ability with HERO is limited and I wouldn't know where to start is building the powers mentioned in your post.

:)

How about some quality art?

I would like to see pictures of A-ko running to school and 8 Man catching bullets.

I would also like to see something explaining in game terms the fight that took place in the White House in the opening of X2. I have my own ideas but I'd like to see some official rules concerning the use of Teleport in HTH combat.

I would also like to see something explaining in game terms the fight that took place in the White House in the opening of X2. I have my own ideas but I'd like to see some official rules concerning the use of Teleport in HTH combat.

I'd like to hear your ideas, DR.

My interpretation is that he seemed to be performing Selective, AOE attacks with a TP SFX. The base power would best be built with Telekinesis, so that you could simulate a multitude of grabs and strikes.

There were a few good uses of the position shift adder too.

Unfortunatly, due to the coreography style of the films, I can't really say if he was using teleportation momentum to throw people around (my favorite idea), if is supposed to be stronger then normal men (in the comics Kurt IS stronger then he looks, but not superhuman), or if that's just a part of the over the top combat style they are going for (the most likely outcome).

I'd like to hear your ideas, DR.

My interpretation is that he seemed to be performing Selective, AOE attacks with a TP SFX. The base power would best be built with Telekinesis, so that you could simulate a multitude of grabs and strikes.

There were a few good uses of the position shift adder too.

Unfortunatly, due to the coreography style of the films, I can't really say if he was using teleportation momentum to throw people around (my favorite idea), if is supposed to be stronger then normal men (in the comics Kurt IS stronger then he looks, but not superhuman), or if that's just a part of the over the top combat style they are going for (the most likely outcome).

I think it's mostly the last thing. Flashy cool-lookin combat just makes a better movie in the eyes of Hollywood. For it's own part, it makes for a better game in the eyse of the Hero System as well, so there should be an easy way to say how it's done. Is it, as you say, AE attacks using TK, or is it simply a clever use of Possition Shifting Teleport and Sweeping/Multiple Power Attacking martial art maneuvers? Perhaps my classic EB No Range? The Hero System has its own classic teleporting martial artists (how long as Cheshire Cat been around?) and such an unusual combination strikes me as leaning heavily on the teleport rather than the martial arts. Definatley something to ponder about in a movement power book.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

As such' date=' I'd like to see how you build the ability to talk so fast only people with superspeed can understand you.[/quote']

Telepathy, communication only, only with other speedsters.

That I think I've pretty much already done -- check out the Teleportation Boxing power in USPD2 (which will, of course, be reprinted, and likely expanded, in USP).

The character Sai, in Teen Champions, is built to fight like that. One of these days I'd like to try a similar build for a PC.

That I think I've pretty much already done -- check out the Teleportation Boxing power in USPD2 (which will, of course, be reprinted, and likely expanded, in USP).

The character Sai, in Teen Champions, is built to fight like that. One of these days I'd like to try a similar build for a PC.

You see, you should put info like that on the back of the books. I don't have either of them.

Wouldn't it be cool if the back of every book had a phrase like "and a character who fights using prehensile snot!" in the breakdown of the contents?

You see, you should put info like that on the back of the books. I don't have either of them.

There's absolutely no way I can do that. There are hundreds of powers in the USPD2, for example, and even if I wanted to describe only "the really important ones" (and I defy anyone to objectively define that) on the back, there still wouldn't be room. The back cover of a book has to provide a general overview, with the boards as a resource to provide more information if needed. ;)

There's absolutely no way I can do that. There are hundreds of powers in the USPD2' date=' for example, and even if I wanted to describe only "the really important ones" (and I defy anyone to objectively define that) on the back, there still wouldn't be room. The back cover of a book has to provide a general overview, with the boards as a resource to provide more information if needed. ;)[/quote']

Well, I still think it would be cool. :cool:

:D

Somebody mentioned Road Runner.

Steve, you and Marc should both watch lots and lots of Road Runner cartoons. Some of the "speed tricks" RR does regularly (like pulling the road up off the ground as he runs over a hill) can be written off as Special Effects, but there could be other ideas in there just waiting to be lifted. :D

and when he runs into a tunnel that the coyote painted on a rock. That's cool. WHat is that' date=' extradimensional movement, to an alternate earth in which that's really a tunnel, and images?[/quote']

I always thought it was Desol: Only to go through Painted Tunnels.

The thing I would feel necessary is an analysis of speedster disadvantages; I know others have mentioned anti-speedster tricks, and this would me really seconding that concept. So with that I’ll ask this question (I don’t use a lot of speedsters, so this could possibly double as the dumbest comment/question on this thread but here goes): In HERO System, what would be the most appropriate way to handle a speedster, whose mind is not as fast as his powers, i.e. running around a city and having to dodge traffic at super speed while his mind/reactions run at normal ‘human’ speed?

I figured I’d take the opportunity while I was thinking about it…

Thanks…

:)

and when he runs into a tunnel that the coyote painted on a rock. That's cool. WHat is that' date=' extradimensional movement, to an alternate earth in which that's really a tunnel, and images?[/quote']

That trick has nothing to do with speedsters or the Roadrunner specifically. It's just a convention of the Loony Toons genre and campaign setting. Just about every protagonist can do it, even if they paint the tunnel themselves, while no antangonist can do it, even if they paint the tunnel themselves.

Not really answering the question "In HERO System, what would be the most appropriate way to handle a speedster, whose mind is not as fast as his powers, i.e. running around a city and having to dodge traffic at super speed while his mind/reactions run at normal ‘human’ speed?"--but I have an image of a someone running through traffic with some Tiny Toons lines going through his head:

"There's a car."

"There's a car."

"There's a--WHOOPS--TRUCK!"