THE ULTIMATE SPEEDSTER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Re: THE ULTIMATE SPEEDSTER -- What Do *You* Want To See?

How about something regarding "reaction time" speedsters as opposed to just "quickly moving" speedsters. I mean, the guy who still takes the normal time to run 100 yards, but whose reaction time is ramped up to the point that he can get out of the way of the bullet before the guy shooting at him has finished pulling the trigger.

ADD: I'm thinking about people like Chiun and Remo.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get this book as I have all the Ultimate books, even though I'm not sure how much use this particular book will be to me (it seems much more useful to Champions than other genres while I could easily see the use of the other books to multiple genres) but what would really make it worthwhile to me is a good discussion of Speed, movement powers and how they work in general not just related to Speedsters (basically include a how the rest of us live to contrast with speedsters), this looks like it might be covered in Chapter 4 but I thought I'd throw it in.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Those guys simply have a lot of DCV Levels with the SFX: Quick Reaction Time

Yeah, and standard speedsters simply have lots of movement powers. :rolleyes:

I mean, if we're going to boil everything down to single-sentences, why even bother with the Ultimate series of books?

How about something regarding "reaction time" speedsters as opposed to just "quickly moving" speedsters. I mean, the guy who still takes the normal time to run 100 yards, but whose reaction time is ramped up to the point that he can get out of the way of the bullet before the guy shooting at him has finished pulling the trigger.

ADD: I'm thinking about people like Chiun and Remo.

Maybe, but remember what Chiun said to Remo right after he ran across the water (at the end of the movie) : "You must run very fast!" So who says that they cant run faster than normal? :D

Yeah, and standard speedsters simply have lots of movement powers. :rolleyes:

I mean, if we're going to boil everything down to single-sentences, why even bother with the Ultimate series of books?

You wanted a way to model someone who ran at normal speeds but could dodge bullets...

Besides - Remo didn't dodge bullets at all, he head the tendons of the trigger finger move and got out of the way before the gun was ever fired. Sounds like Danger Sense and a very high DCV in mechanical terms to me.

Sorry if I wasn't verbose enough for you.

That trick has nothing to do with speedsters or the Roadrunner specifically. It's just a convention of the Loony Toons genre and campaign setting. Just about every protagonist can do it' date=' even if they paint the tunnel themselves, while no antangonist can do it, even if they paint the tunnel themselves.[/quote']

You're harshing my buzz, man.

Standard writeup for it is AOE selective TK or Teleportation' date=' Usable as an Attack.[/quote']

Standards are out of date. Who'd want to pay for something so expensive when you can just drop the Limitations and have some awesome attack power?

Just Rapid Fire/Sweep or Autofire your Disarm or Ranged Attack and aim at the weapons. Want to be good at it, by levels verus aiming at weapons and with Sweep.

Standards are out of date. Who'd want to pay for something so expensive when you can just drop the Limitations and have some awesome attack power?

Just Rapid Fire/Sweep or Autofire your Disarm or Ranged Attack and aim at the weapons. Want to be good at it, by levels verus aiming at weapons and with Sweep.

I've generally allowed multiple move by's with maneuvers like Disarm. That works pretty well.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

You wanted a way to model someone who ran at normal speeds but could dodge bullets...

What I want is discussion of movement speed versus reaction speed in the Ultimate Speedster book. Your response was a brush off that implies my idea was unworthy of inclusion.

Noone has mentioned matter surfing. I've seen numerous builds, including various advantages/limitations on flight to a questionable one involving tunneling, but none seem to match what the X-Men's Iceman can do with his iceslides.

Noone has mentioned matter surfing. I've seen numerous builds' date=' including various advantages/limitations on flight to a questionable one involving tunneling, but none seem to match what the X-Men's Iceman can do with his iceslides.[/quote']Very good call! :thumbup: TUS definitely needs to include some surfing rules (conventional as well as "matter").

It probably should also include write-ups of a surfboard and other movement gear (both everyday stuff, and some high-tech/magical/super stuff borrowed from other books).

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Very good call! :thumbup: TUS definitely needs to include some surfing rules (conventional as well as "matter").

It probably should also include write-ups of a surfboard and other movement gear (both everyday stuff, and some high-tech/magical/super stuff borrowed from other books).

This sort of thing would also cover frictionless sliding, wouldn't it?

I don't have 5ER so I don't know if this is addressed or not. How about 2 (or more) speeders running faster than the speed of sound together trying to talk to each other. Normal physics would indicate that neither one could hear what the other is talking about.

I don't have 5ER so I don't know if this is addressed or not. How about 2 (or more) speeders running faster than the speed of sound together trying to talk to each other. Normal physics would indicate that neither one could hear what the other is talking about.

Why make it that complicated? Just have one try to use his wrist radio...

:D

Noone has mentioned matter surfing. I've seen numerous builds' date=' including various advantages/limitations on flight to a questionable one involving tunneling, but none seem to match what the X-Men's Iceman can do with his iceslides.[/quote']

Good Idea! Way to Delurk!

I've been thinking about it, and add my voice to those saying we need SPD > 12.

I don't think we should have an "official" rule necessarily, but a discussion of different optional ways to play it would be a good idea. If nothing else, one could argue that we already have computers that should be rated at SPD higher than 12.

Lucius Alexander

Moving at the SPD of a palindromedary

Another idea, kind of hinted at above, but I will echo and spotlight:

More *****-by moves...

:nonp: More what by moves?? :eek:

...such as Disarm-by

I swear, even after reading that it took me a minute to realize what you weren't writing something that needed the word filter. :o

I'm not sure how I feel on having rules for SPDs greater than 12. On the one hand, 12 seems like a reasonable maximum, and if you wanted to perform more actions in less time, you could either SFX it or the GM can simply say that a Segment/Turn represents less time. On the other, it might be useful for one character to be able to perform 10x the actions normal characters, which you can't do unless normal characters have a SPD of 1.

I'm thinking rules for SPDs higher than 12 would be fairly easy to impliment though. Just take everything higher than 12 and run through the SPD chart again. On the phases that come up twice, the character gets two actions. The second action always takes place at the end of the Segment (effectively at DEX negitive infinity), and if more than one character have such an action, they take them in order of their DEX as normal.