DC Universe Overview

Super Squirrel

Re: DC Universe Overview

So basically what people are saying is that:

a) What happened in the past doesn't matter because it will get retconned anyway.

B) All DC characters are the same person just wearing a different disguise.

That sounds about right. Frankly, I don't read much DC stuff, either, so I find it's best to simply treat each story arc as a more-or-less stand-alone title. Since I don't read enough to pick up on stuff that's part of a big crossover event or minute variances in continuity, I don't really miss the context much.

So basically what people are saying is that:

a) What happened in the past doesn't matter because it will get retconned anyway.

B) All DC characters are the same person just wearing a different disguise.

See, the beauty of Marvel is, they don't need to retcon anything- they just have Franklin Richards fix it. Case by case, in continuity, with no big reboots.

Darkseid got jobbed out SO HARD here that me and my friends call this guy 'Jobberseid'' date=' to distinguish him from the *real* Darkseid. Who apparently... went somewhere... after the first Crisis, and never showed up again, really... la la la la la...[/quote']

OK, I admit this is worse than SM v FL.

Umm' date=' Supes didn't even use a Mother Box to get to the Source Wall. He just... flew really fast.[/quote']

Does appear to be a Boom Tube in the last panel.

See' date=' the beauty of Marvel is, they don't need to retcon anything- they just have Franklin Richards fix it. Case by case, in continuity, with no big reboots.[/quote']

Actually with FAKE reboots that last about a year... and drawn by ROB LEAFHEAD! Woohooo!!

150pxliefeldcaptainamerica1up.jpg

AHAHA! AHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa........

Paypal me a dollar and I'll edit my post to remove that :P

Does appear to be a Boom Tube in the last panel.

Well, yes -- but how did Superman open it? He didn't have a Mother Box, and God knows Darkseid doesn't carry one for him to rip off, him having the power to ope those things on his ownsome.

Well' date=' yes -- but how did Superman open it? He didn't have a Mother Box, and God knows Darkseid doesn't carry one for him to rip off, him having the power to ope those things on his ownsome.[/quote']

Lesse..people Kal El knows well enough to lend, off panel, a Mother Box to Superman because he *knows* Darkseid is just itching to repay him for the Supergirl/Batman debacle. (which say what you might the BAtman Darksied fight was tres cool! and exactly what I imagine the Bat doing to 'defeat' Darkseid)

Mr. Miracle

Orion

Tachyon

Big Barda

Metron (OK maybe not that one)

Or just about any New God.

Hey, with the Upgrades Barda and Orion did to the Watchtower pre-Nasty Thing from beyond time and space -Mageddon. The Watchtower might even have a Boom Tube Summoning Device. Remember the MB's don't actually create Boom Tubes they just dial one up from Either Darksied's or Supertown's big ole Kirby Machine.

So, I do indeed think that a Boom Tube was opened.

Hawksmoor

I'm not saying that Superman *can't* get a Mother Box -- goodness knows he's borrowed them before.

I am saying that in this comic, Superman *didn't* get a Mother Box, as there's absolutely no scene shown with any of the above chars in it in the comic. (And no, the Watchtowwr didn't get the Boom Tube summoning upgrade, they kinda held back on the good stuff.)

Are we to assume that it all happened off-stage? Majorly sloppy writing, again. Why not just have 22 pages of white space and a narrator?

Like you said bad writing. The Source Wall IIRC is hard to get to. Most of the time trying to get to the Source just gets you lodged in the Source Wall for your Hubris. You need the potency of X-Element to get there. Now here is an idea. Darkseid is supercharged by X-Element which he absorbs directly into his body. Superman is shown to have cracked the skin of Darkseid in the comic. Since the Batman/Superman Kal-El is shown to just as potent as the JLA Superman maybe he absorbed the X-Element and with his Super-

"I Win"ism powers opened a Boom Tube with the X-Element that was absorbed into his Kryptonian physique.

The fact that the writers did not mention this as an explaination is as you say, Bad writing.

Love the commentary Chuck. You were one of the people I missed during my haitus.

Hawksmoor

(and btw, yes, it only took Supes one page to beat Darkseid down like that. While there was a page or so of Supes dragging Darkseid from Earth all the way out to close solar orbit, and yelling at him, Darkseid hadn't taken any damage yet until the first page I scanned.)

Darkseid got jobbed out SO HARD here that me and my friends call this guy 'Jobberseid', to distinguish him from the *real* Darkseid. Who apparently... went somewhere... after the first Crisis, and never showed up again, really... la la la la la...

That fight doesn't seem bad to me for the following reasons:

1 Superman is clearly pissed off (which you don't see that often)

2 The fight is taking place in space, so Supes doesn't have to be as concerned about how his "letting loose" will affect the nearby environs.

3 If you're going to fight Superman, the last place you want to do it is right next to the sun. The place where he gets his powers; It's like fighting Namor underwater.

Plus, being that close to the sun couldn't have been doing Darkseid any good.

Personally, I don't care for Winick's writing either, but didn't have a problem with the fight other than the lame "inner dialogue" shown in the narration caption boxes.

How about if I just reach through the Internet with the power of my mind and strangle you? Will that do?

Now, now, if we try to forget the horrors wrought by such as Leifield in the past, we (much like the current writers at DC & Marvel) risk letting it happen again in the future.

If I ever run a comic book company, I will require every character to be written up and tracked in HERO format, so that when a writer wants to have a fight between two characters, it will be judged against their objective capabilities.

I'm not saying that the fight would be played out and then written that way.

I'm not even saying that the characters and their abilities would be hard-locked by the write-ups.

I'm only saying that before anything is written, the writers would have to accept that certain characters cannot handle other certain characters. The writers must accept that characters have a certain basic level of capability and power -- absolute and relative to each other-- and that it cannot shift about wildly between titles or issues just to suit the whims of the creative staff or what they think their story needs.

Oh, and *I* would be in charge of approving all those write-ups before they became official, and before they changed in any way.

That's still a downgrade for Darkseid, given that when *he* was buff, he used to manhandle multiple Pre-Crisis Kryptonians like it was nothing.

While weakened.

Ah, the 'Great Darkness Saga', how I miss thee...

"And this... this is pain. Darkseid has not done this with his own hands in eons. You should be honored."

It's like fighting Namor underwater.

[off topic]

That reminds me of one of my favorite comic book moments. In an early New Warriors the kids end up fighting a group of villains with element based powers. Namorita and her opponent are absent from all the panels of the fight. Once the other Warriors have defeated their foes, there's a great panel showing a flying Namorita holding an unconcious Water Wizard by his collar complete with the line:

"He tried to beat me with water. Dork."

That always cracked me up. :D

[/off topic]

[off topic]

That reminds me of one of my favorite comic book moments. In an early New Warriors the kids end up fighting a group of villains with element based powers. Namorita and her opponent are absent from all the panels of the fight. Once the other Warriors have defeated their foes, there's a great panel showing a flying Namorita holding an unconcious Water Wizard by his collar complete with the line:

"He tried to beat me with water. Dork."

That always cracked me up. :D

[/off topic]

Heh.

I miss that era of the New Warriors...read several of those out of a friend's collection.

I know that the Justice League has, I think, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (or at least did), the Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern (I think). I have no idea who the Teen Titans are other than the fact they appear in one of the Supergirl comics. I thought Lex Luther was President but he isn't. So far he seems to be walking around in a powersuit. I understand that Power Girl is supposedly Supergirl from Earth-2 and survived Crisis on Infinite Earth though I don't know why. I also don't understand how Supergirl came back when she was killed in CoIE.

Oh, Lex Luther in Supergirl #3 refered to someone either killed or sealed away by Superman. I can't remember the guy's name but Luther was pretty insistant on finding where he is. Can someone fill me in with a little background on that?

And finally, does the Countdown to Crisis have any baring so far on Supergirl that I should know about?

Okay... getting back to the original question...

there's a good set of resources on Newsarama detailing what the ding-dong-hey's going on in Infinite Crisis, and contains a large amount of tongue in cheek spoilers.

Crisis Recovery : An Annotated Guide to Infinite Crisis #1

Crisis Recovery : An Annotated Guide to Infinite Crisis #2

Crisis Recovery : An Annotated Guide to Infinite Crisis #3

For a quick review of the Crisis on Infinite Earth and the Multiple Earths Theory check out

Crisis Histories

As for what the heck's going on with Supergirl, it may help to check out the history of Power Girl!

Power Girl's Convoluted History

Good luck!