DC Universe Overview

Super Squirrel

With the exception of Batman, and to a lesser degree the Justice League, I know very little about the DC Universe. My wife recently decided to start collecting the new line of Supergirl comics which I, so far, have been enjoying. I'd like to better understand the DC Universe so if people could fill me in, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the Justice League has, I think, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (or at least did), the Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern (I think). I have no idea who the Teen Titans are other than the fact they appear in one of the Supergirl comics. I thought Lex Luther was President but he isn't. So far he seems to be walking around in a powersuit. I understand that Power Girl is supposedly Supergirl from Earth-2 and survived Crisis on Infinite Earth though I don't know why. I also don't understand how Supergirl came back when she was killed in CoIE.

Oh, Lex Luther in Supergirl #3 refered to someone either killed or sealed away by Superman. I can't remember the guy's name but Luther was pretty insistant on finding where he is. Can someone fill me in with a little background on that?

And finally, does the Countdown to Crisis have any baring so far on Supergirl that I should know about?

Re: DC Universe Overview

Supergirl(s) and Power Girl(s) are probably the worst places to try to introduce yourself to DC (Hawkmen, too). These are problems of Claremontian scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl

It isn't the same Supergirl from COIE. It's an alien. Or an angel. Or... uh, hell, I dunno.

Power Girl is the only survivor from Earth 2, afaik. The universe had a lot of trouble trying to "fit her in" so to speak, so false histories occurred.

The Teen Titans were originally the sidekicks of all the big guys who formed a club. Later, they were the guys who had a title that gave those X-people a real run for their money. I haven't followed the current incarnation, but they seem to have the same theme after a sort (Superboy, Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, etc) along with some of the "new kids" from the cool New Titans era...

http://www.titanstower.com/meeting.html

Hoo boy.

For reasonably concise info, I'd recommend starting with Wiki. Look up the various topics (Supergirl, Lex Luthor, Teen Titans, Infinite Crisis, etc.) and follow relevant links.

Good luck. The DC staff doesn't understand their own universe - if you can figure it all out, please let them know. ;)

I would also recommend The DC Comics Encyclopedia' date=' a great resource for anyone interested in comics or the DC Universe[/quote']It is a great resource, and a beautiful book. And it just came out last year.

... too bad it's already largely out of date, and will get even more vastly out of date as DC reboots the universe again in the coming months. :(

Superman has imprisoned Darksied in the source wall for trying to kill Supergirl. Darkseid was doing it to cause torment to Superman, just 'cause that is the kind of being Darkseid is. Superman tricked Darkseid into beleiving that he succeded and then use a mother box to first teleport them both into the sun and then to teleport them to the source wall where the first Gods where imprisioned for there arogance.

Happened in Superman and Batman 12 I beleive.

A Mother Box is a living computer built by the New Gods, and can do miraclus things do to it's connection to the source.

I get the feeling there are multiple Lex's walking aorund right now. It probably has something to do with the Infinite Crisis.

Keith "will figure it all out when the dust settles" Curtis

From what I understand you tell the Luthors apart by the eye color. Green for Lex and Blue for Alex, IIRC. :)

Superman has imprisoned Darksied in the source wall for trying to kill Supergirl. Darkseid was doing it to cause torment to Superman' date=' just 'cause that is the kind of being Darkseid is. Superman tricked Darkseid into beleiving that he succeded and then use a mother box to first teleport them both into the sun and then to teleport them to the source wall where the first Gods where imprisioned for there arogance. [/quote']

Wow. That's just wrong.

Jack Kirby must be spinning in his grave.

No one can possibly understand the DC universe. It's been written' date=' rewritten, overwritten, unwritten, rebooted, restarted, and recreated so many times that it's always only a matter of time before it all unravels again, no matter what they do with it.[/quote']

Repped.

Umm, Supes didn't even use a Mother Box to get to the Source Wall. He just... flew really fast.

This is right after he punched Darkseid so hard that candy fell out. Well, marshmallow fluff. Or something.

Behold the sadness... :(

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #13

(and btw, yes, it only took Supes one page to beat Darkseid down like that. While there was a page or so of Supes dragging Darkseid from Earth all the way out to close solar orbit, and yelling at him, Darkseid hadn't taken any damage yet until the first page I scanned.)

Darkseid got jobbed out SO HARD here that me and my friends call this guy 'Jobberseid', to distinguish him from the *real* Darkseid. Who apparently... went somewhere... after the first Crisis, and never showed up again, really... la la la la la...

Umm, Supes didn't even use a Mother Box to get to the Source Wall. He just... flew really fast.

This is right after he punched Darkseid so hard that candy fell out. Well, marshmallow fluff. Or something.

Behold the sadness... :(

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #13

(and btw, yes, it only took Supes one page to beat Darkseid down like that. While there was a page or so of Supes dragging Darkseid from Earth all the way out to close solar orbit, and yelling at him, Darkseid hadn't taken any damage yet until the first page I scanned.)

Darkseid got jobbed out SO HARD here that me and my friends call this guy 'Jobberseid', to distinguish him from the *real* Darkseid. Who apparently... went somewhere... after the first Crisis, and never showed up again, really... la la la la la...

It was a Darkseidbot.

They already used that excuse for Darkseid's miserable showing vs. Doomsday in HUNTER/PREY.

No, honestly. Later on they tried claiming it was just a Darkseid 'avatar', not the real Darkseid.

It didn't fly. Thanosbots were more believable. :)

Sorry I made an assumption, saw BOOM and made a mental leap to either a Mother Box or Darkseid's Father Box, Which I would doubt work for Supes...

And yes the big D should have wipe the turf with Supes... And then some*. (That Arc was not well written, but hey if I wanted great writing I would be reading War and Peace, or even The Lord of the Rings)

*Which is what happened every other time they fought post-crisis. Supes gets pounded in to the ground and then thrown into a fire pit for his trouble.

Sorry I made an assumption, saw BOOM and made a mental leap to either a Mother Box or Darkseid's Father Box, Which I would doubt work for Supes...

And yes the big D should have wipe the turf with Supes... And then some*. (That Arc was not well written, but hey if I wanted great writing I would be reading War and Peace, or even The Lord of the Rings)

*Which is what happened every other time they fought post-crisis. Supes gets pounded in to the ground and then thrown into a fire pit for his trouble.

So basically what people are saying is that:

a) What happened in the past doesn't matter because it will get retconned anyway.

B) All DC characters are the same person just wearing a different disguise.

So basically what people are saying is that:

a) What happened in the past doesn't matter because it will get retconned anyway.

B) All DC characters are the same person just wearing a different disguise.

Which covers Marvel as well. That's modern mainstream comics for you.