What concepts have you used for a 'Superman'?

Snake Gandhi

Re: What concepts have you used for a 'Superman'?

Neat stuff dbsousa! :thumbup:

An earlier mention of the name "Superion" reminded be of another one I've made, but haven't played yet. I was wanting to make a Superman homage, and looking for ways to combine all sorts of seemingly-unrelated powers together. So I decided to go the Amazo/SuperAdaptoid route and made Superion an android with the combined powers of superteam X. Strength and invulnerability from one hero, eyebeams and sight powers from another, flight and speed from a third, and so on.

Some time ago ChuckG posted a writeup from his campaign for IMO one of the most interesting Superman-surrogates I've seen, both in his character sheet and especially his background history - a history which incorporates the official Hero Universe timeline, BTW. I didn't want to take away Chuck's prerogatives, but since he hasn't shown up here yet he hopefully won't mind if I just link to that post and its followups:

Horus-Re

Reposted from a few years back:

GERNSBACK, THE FUTURE DOG

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

35 STR 25 16- Lift 3200.0kg; 7d6 [3]

26 DEX 48 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

23 CON 26 14-

12 BODY 4 11-

23 INT 13 14- PER Roll 15-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

10 COM 0 11-

12/24 PD 5 Total: 12/24 PD (0/12 rPD)

12/24 ED 7 Total: 12/24 ED (0/12 rED)

4 SPD 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

12 REC 0

46 END 0

42 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 153

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 26"/832"

Leaping: 7"/14"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

3 Canine Senses: +1 PER with All Sense Groups

5 Canine Nose: Tracking with Normal Smell

3 Canine Ears: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) (Hearing Group)

1 Understanding: Language: English (Basic Conversation)

Notes: The animal can only understand speech, not speak back, though it may find other ways to communicate.

22 Star Dog: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)

45 Doggone Dense Molecular Structure: Armor (12 PD/12 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points)

10 Dog Eternal: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Minute (-1 1/2), Self Only (-1/2)

40 Powers Far Beyond Those of Mortal Dogs!: Multipower, 40-point reserve

4u 1) Graviton Manipulation: Flight 20" (40 Active Points) 4

4u 2) Globe-Trotting!: Flight 6", x32 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (40 Active Points) 1

3u 3) Sirius-ly Fast!: Faster-Than-Light Travel (3 Light Years/day) (30 Active Points)

Flying Dog Style

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Teeth Hard as Diamond -2 +0 HKA 2d6

4 Flying Charge +0 -2 11d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove

5 Flying Dodge -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

5 Jaws like a Steel Trap -2 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 55 STR for holding on; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Talents

3 Lightsleep

3 Bump of Direction

Skills

3 Concealment 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Deduction 14-

3 Tracking 14-

2 Animal Handler (Canines) 14-

2 Survival (Urban) 14-

2 CK: Campaign City 11-

2 AK: Earth 11-

2 PS: Dog 11-

3 Navigation (Air, Space) 14-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 197

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

5 Physical Limitation: Small (no larger than about 1m; +3" KB) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

15 Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation Frequently, Greatly Impairing

15 Physical Limitation: Can not form most human words (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

5 Social Limitation: Illiteracy (Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

15 Social Limitation: Object of a Stereotype: Only a dog (Very Frequently, Major, Not Limiting in Some Cultures)

15 Social Limitation: Angel of Death, often associated with disasters and terrible crimes (Very Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

5 Social Limitation: Odious Personal Habit: Dog behaviors (Occasionally, Minor)

5 Social Limitation: Imaginary (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

Notes: A few comic book junkies might be very surprised to see Gernsback, and no one believes in intelligent dogs

10 Enraged: If Innocent People Harmed (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 11-

10 Psychological Limitation: Idolizes the Futurist, the Man of the Future (Uncommon, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocent Humans (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Hides powers from non-supers as much as possible (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Seeks attention and praise (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Sense of Duty (Common, Strong)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: “Hey, commissioner, look! It’s that dog again!”

“Great Augustus’ Ghost! What has he done now!”

“Somehow he found the stolen diamonds and captured Foxbat! That dog is a hero!”

“Don’t be ridiculous! It’s only a dog!”

This super-powered white dog from the year 3000 was once the pet and canine companion of The Futurist, The Man of the Future. A member of the Society of Super-Pets, journalists frequently referred to Gernsback as the Dog of Tomorrow.

Alas, Gernsback’s days of happy adventure with his master ended abruptly when a trip through the Society of Friends who are Super’s (SFS) dimensional chamber went disastrously wrong! Gernsback was stranded on a world not his own, a world where his beloved master was nothing more than a comic book character! Gernsback’s own powers seemed strangely reduced as well, but he could not forget his mission. He would protect these strange humans until his master found him! He would uphold the highest ideals of justice and liberty! He would be, to the very best of his ability, a good dog!

Personality/Motivation: In his own world Gernsback was a hero, and was recognized as such. He had his beloved master, his Fortress of Dogitude, and the support of the Society of Super-Pets. In this strange new world his powers seem weaker, his mind less keen, the humans less willing to accept him as an equal. Still, he remains dedicated to the same ideals he was taught by his master. He will defend the innocent and bring evil men to justice. Such is the solemn duty of Earth’s Mightiest Dog.

Quote: “Woof! Grrrrr! Woof-Woof!”

Powers/Tactics: Gernsback is stealthy, clever, hard to hurt, can bite through steel, can fly, and can survive in space. He is the product of the near-magical science of the Futurist, and his powers, reduced as they are, still reflect that. Tactically he tends to depend on a sudden flying charge from surprise, often in a Multi Power Attack with a “Jaws like a Steel Trap” Flying Grab. If faced with a foe who manages to seriously hurt him, Gernsback will repeatedly abort to Flying Dodge to gain distance and get a chance to recover. Gernsback is an adequate detective. He will seek out those who need his help, and protect the innocent as best he can. Unfortunately he seems to be followed everywhere by death and violence in this strange new world. No matter how many criminals he subdues, more seem to arrive on the scene. From time to time Gernsback might have despaired, were it not for the hope that his master would one day return for him.

Campaign Use: Gernsback might make an excellent very high powered animal companion, or a super in some campaigns. A visit to his home dimension might prove more than interesting, especially as this would restore his full Super Powers.

Appearance:

A large, healthy white dog. Gernsback once wore a yellow dog collar and a flowing white-and-yellow cape modeled after the Futurist’s.

I have never done a Superman clone. But here is the closest thing I have done to one.

American Avenger

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

100 STR 90 29- Lift 26.2ktons; 20d6 [10]

24 DEX 42 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

30 CON 40 15-

25 BODY 30 14-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

16 COM 3 12-

30 PD 10 Total: 30 PD (30 rPD)

30 ED 24 Total: 30 ED (30 rED)

5 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

27 REC 2

60 END 0

90 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 290

Movement: Running: 26"/52"

Leaping: 49"/98"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

30 All American Enhancements: Elemental Control, 60-point powers

31 1) Powerful Legs: Leaping +29" (49" forward, 24 1/2" upward) (Accurate), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (61 Active Points)

30 2) Powerful Legs II: Running +20" (26" total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points)

34 3) Can't Kill America: Healing 5 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (124 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

45 American Toughness: Damage Resistance (30 PD/30 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4) (45 Active Points)

7 Polarized Lenses: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7 Ear Protection: Hearing Group Flash Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

12 America's Indomitable Will: Mental Defense (15 points total)

15 You Can't Weaken America: Power Defense (15 points)

20 Unshakable American: Knockback Resistance -10"

24 Can't Kill America II: LS (Extended Breathing: 1 END per 20 Minutes; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents)

All American Fighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Jab +1 +3 20d6 / 0d6 Strike

4 Cross +0 +2 22d6 / 2d6 Strike

5 Uppercut -2 +1 24d6 / 4d6 Strike

3 Grapple -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 110 STR / 10 STR for holding on

4 Bear Hug +0 +0 24d6 / 4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

5 Clothesline +1 +0 20d6 / 0d6 +v/5; FMove

3 Power Bomb +0 +2 22d6 / 2d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

Perks

4 Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers, License to practice Law

13 Contact: Golden Avenger (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) 15-

Skills

20 +4 with DCV

20 +4 with HTH Combat

3 Bureaucratics 14-

3 Criminology 13-

Everyman Skills (Cost: 0 Points)

0 1) Native: Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 2) AK: Washington D.C. 11-

0 3) Acting 8-

0 4) Climbing 8-

0 5) Computer Programming 8-

0 6) Concealment 8-

0 7) Conversation 8-

0 8) Deduction 8-

0 9) PS: Lawyer 11-

0 10) Paramedics 8-

0 11) Persuasion 8-

0 12) Shadowing 8-

0 13) Stealth 8-

0 14) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

3 High Society 14-

3 Oratory 14-

3 Tactics 13-

3 Teamwork 14-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 359

Total Cost: 649

200+ Disadvantages

15 DNPC: Elizabeth Knight (Widowed Mother) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

25 Hunted: Primus 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, Orginization Knows Secret ID, Watching)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Physical Limitation: Wied Bio Chemistry, Requires Special Medical Attention (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Super Patriot (Very Common, Strong)

25 Psychological Limitation: Won't Allow Bystanders To Come To Harm (Very Common, Total)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently, Major)

299 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: Joshua Knight was born and raised in Washington D.C. His father, a career military man, taught him from a very early age to love his country. Joshua was a briliant student in school and a star athlete of his high school. After graduating, Joshua attened Harvard on a full scholorship and after finishing his law degree he moved back to the capitol and passed the bar exam. His life was going well for him and his family. He had just been offered a partnership in a well established law firm, and his father had just got promoted to a position in the Petnagon. Life was good and then it happened. September 11, 2001. The terrorist attacks on this country left American's in shock, they hapened so quickly that not even the superhumans had time to act. Hijacked planes crashd into the twin towers of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The towers were completely destroyed as were sections of the Pentagon. Joshua was at the Pentagon having lunch with his father when the attack occured. Both Joshua and his father were knocked unconcious when the plane struck the building. Joshua awoke several days later in a Primus med lab to find the Golden Avenger himself standing over him. Josh tried to sit up, but he coudn't. He tried to speak but his voice was barely audible.

"My father..." he managed to say.

"I'm sorry son, " The Avenger began "General Knight is dead and you are severly injured. The doctor's say you might not walk ever again."

Josh didn't seem to really care about that and asked "Who attacked and why?"

"Osama Bin Landen and the Al- Quaida. They said they were on a mission from Allah. But the real question is What do you want to do about it?"

"Don't...follow...you..." Josh said confused.

"Your father was a good soldier and due that I have been authorized to offer you and you alone a one time oppourtunity. One of our top scientist was working on a new enhancement serum that would turn a normal into a superhuman. However that scientist was killed in the atacks and the serum remains complete but untested. If the serum works the way it was intended you will not only be cured of your current ailments but have immense physical power. However there is a chance the serum might not work or that it can kill you."

Joshua said without hesitation "I'll do it"

The next day Joshua was injected with the serum and his body began to undergo a vast transformation. After the serum took effect Joshua underwent months of combat training and is now a sanctioned memeber of Primus. Since then he has worked on numerous occasions with several of the super hero teams throughout the country and was alongside the U.N.T.I.L. contingent that fished both Sadam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden from their hiding places. He also went for a short period over to aid the victims of the recent tsuami that plagued southeast Asia. He is currently operating in the New York area and can travel freely throughout the country as he sees fit. His rank in the Primus orginization is equal to the Golden Avengers.

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics: The American Avenger is an immensely powerful brick and one of the strongest individauls on the planet. He has been clocked at running over 97 mph and can jump nearly 300 feet in a single bound. His dense flesh makes him incredible reistant to harm and he is immune to all know posions and diseases.

Campaign Use: Powerful Patriotic Martial-Brick

Appearance: Joshua is in his early 30's. He is very hansome and has short blonde hair. His costume is a blue body suit with red boots, gloves and cape and white trim

Doesn't Hero have a character called Vanguard? Could he be the Superman of the Champions universe?

As I'd mentioned on an earlier thread, Darren Watts posted information on Vanguard that, IMO, strongly implies that he was the CU's analog to Superman both in power and in the respect in which he was held:

Vanguard will get his origin story in Silver Age Champs (and a writeup there of his early stats) and probably will get more story in the proposed Champs Universe update. Basically, he's Jeffrey Sinclair, a mightily-powerful flying brick type given his powers by an "alien artifact" in 1959. He teams up with several semi-retired Golden Age heroes in New York later that year and re-forms the Justice Squadron (which had been the #2 hero team of WWII after the Defenders of Justice), with that original group remaining the core of the team for decades (as opposed to the Sentinels, who have a lot of membership turnover. In many ways, the Justice Squadron is seen as "Vanguard and his buddies," which is probably unfair, though he clearly was the heart and soul of that team for more than thirty years.)

One of Earth's most famous and respected supers, he sacrificed his life in the orbital portion of the Battle of Detroit in 1992. That's all we've established about him so far. dw

I'm really hoping that the Champions Universe update book this year will include a scenario for his return - I believe that an official, active Superman homage in the present-day CU would be welcomed by many Champs fans. Vanguard supposedly died delivering explosives to pulverise the asteroids that Dr. Destroyer was trying to crash into the United States; that sounds like the kind of mission he would have performed alone, so there wouldn't have been any witnesses to his demise. And let's face it: a mightily-powerful superhero, aliens responsible for his powers, a super tractor beam, space rocks of unknown composition, a multi-megaton explosion... if you can't extract a comic-book rationale for Vanguard's survival out of all that, you're just not trying. :sneaky:

I did postulate a possible scenario for Vanguard's return: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=943585

I have too many to count as Superman analogs are my favorite character type: Flying Energy Projector Bricks!

Starting with my Champs 3e character of Omega who was a chance to play a character that was not totally nerfed by him limitations showing up. He was a low powered superman, think the 1939 version that with the addition of his armored suit and "Radiation absorber belt" could amp this power to righteous levels. Not through AID, but through partially limited Characteristics and powers.

Then I had PowerLord. This is Superman....all the cool powers and the saving a nosy reporter NPC. Only I was into Image at the time was he was as Iron age as the orginal Supreme run.

Hawksmoor

As I'd mentioned on an earlier thread, Darren Watts posted information on Vanguard that, IMO, strongly implies that he was the CU's analog to Superman both in power and in the respect in which he was held:

I'm really hoping that the Champions Universe update book this year will include a scenario for his return - I believe that an official, active Superman homage in the present-day CU would be welcomed by many Champs fans. Vanguard supposedly died delivering explosives to pulverise the asteroids that Dr. Destroyer was trying to crash into the United States; that sounds like the kind of mission he would have performed alone, so there wouldn't have been any witnesses to his demise. And let's face it: a mightily-powerful superhero, aliens responsible for his powers, a super tractor beam, space rocks of unknown composition, a multi-megaton explosion... if you can't extract a comic-book rationale for Vanguard's survival out of all that, you're just not trying. :sneaky:

I did postulate a possible scenario for Vanguard's return: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=943585

Darren has mentioned that Vanguard may be showing up in a future supplement.

Paragon (who predated my exposure to Hellboy and probably Hellboy entirely) was a demon summoned by the Thule Society as the allies closed in on Berlin. To complete the summoning they had to shed the blood of a truly virtuous person, and for this purpose they had raised a young girl in complete isolation, shaping her to be the most moral and ethical individual imaginable. For this to work they had to reveal to her what was happening and why and she surprised them. Wilhelmina, realizing what was going on turned to the ethical core instilled in her by her villainous guardians and willingly went to her death with one intent, to provide the being they summoned with an ethical voice, a conscience. It worked, sorta.

Paragon is an enormously powerful demonic entity, haunted by a human conscience that compels him (through persuasion) to do the right thing despite his instinct for evil. His powers are almost a perfect match for the more reasonable version of Pre-crisis Superman.

My Superman Homage is The Paladine!

Divinely powered, Superstrong, even more invulnerable, and with a Sword of Divinity which can cut through anything, except a pure soul.

While he started as a Superman homage, as I played him his personality veered more towards a The Tick homage...

It ended up a very weird game...

Darren has mentioned that Vanguard may be showing up in a future supplement.

In some form at least, yes, but not necessarily as an active hero in the contemporary CU. The post from Darren that I quoted above is the only mention of where Vanguard might appear by him that I can find on the boards; and Steve Long has said nada.

What the DoJ do or don't do with the character is of course their choice; I just thought it would be cool. I remember the debut of the first Supreme comic series, when Supreme returned to Earth after many years in space. (Yes, this was one of the inspirations for my suggested scenario. :o ) I was impressed by the awe, wonder and fear expressed by all at the arrival of this legendary figure. I can't help imagining how much cooler it would be if the returnee was a true icon and role-model rather than an arrogant martinet with a god complex. :eg:

My question is...why does everyone who creates their own setting for superhero comics and/or gaming almost immediately include a Superman equivalent? Why is it that when they don't (such as DoJ with Champions 5th), there are people looking for and calling for same?

Guest WhammeWhamme

My question is...why does everyone who creates their own setting for superhero comics and/or gaming almost immediately include a Superman equivalent? Why is it that when they don't (such as DoJ with Champions 5th)' date=' there are people looking for and calling for same?[/quote']

I don't know... I think a setting can do just fine without powerful NPC superheroes.

(shrug)

People are just irrational, I guess.

I don't know... I think a setting can do just fine without powerful NPC superheroes.

(shrug)

I've never played a game with a Superman equivalent. It's not that I'm against the idea, just that it's never seemed necessary.:thumbup:

In fact, my NPC heroes tend to be pushed far into the background. Though they do appear at times they rarely have the power to resolve things like Superman.

My favorite superhero NPC (and most common) is usually part of a rival corporate or government sponsored team. Often they're at odds (politically) with my PCs and perform the role of antagonist better than the villains. I always love it when a proud member of my PC group finally succumbs to his foibles and calls an NPC for help. :help:

(shrug)

It's not powerful NPC superheroes in general that has me wondering. It's Superman-homages (and Batman, and Captain America, and..) that have me wondering.

Guest WhammeWhamme

It's not powerful NPC superheroes in general that has me wondering. It's Superman-homages (and Batman' date=' and Captain America, and..) that have me wondering.[/quote']

Well, if you're going to upstage the PC's, might as well have the king of 'so why are the rest of you guys here anyway?' be in charge of it.

It's not powerful NPC superheroes in general that has me wondering. It's Superman-homages (and Batman' date=' and Captain America, and..) that have me wondering.[/quote']

It's not about upstaging the PCs. It's about building a history that players can relate to, something that makes the world feel textured and "real".

You can do this with no homage characters at all; I did for a bit more than twenty years. However, homage characters have the advantage of being part of the mental landscape of most Superhero fans. They feel familliar, and give a certain texture to the world.

My Wold Newton Superhero Universe Timeline is packed with homage characters, most of them coming in at just about the time the literary or comic book character first appeared, most of them dying or vanishing from the public eye before the PCs start play. I've found it to be a useful storytelling tool; my players are able to use both their knowledge of real world history and Speculative Fiction to build a picture of a world with Superheroes that feels both plausible and familiar.

Other approaches have their advantages, but I'm enjoying this one.

My question is...why does everyone who creates their own setting for superhero comics and/or gaming almost immediately include a Superman equivalent? Why is it that when they don't (such as DoJ with Champions 5th)' date=' there are people looking for and calling for same?[/quote']

Well, as you've seen on this thread, not everyone does. :) My feeling, though, is that Superman is for many people the very embodiment of the concept of "superhero": the first, the one who set the example for a whole genre of fiction; the standard of might against which all others are compared; the embodiment of the ideals that most people think of when they think of superheroes. From remarks I hear from comics readers and supers gamers, I suspect that many folks feel that a comic-book world isn't really complete without such a character in it.

It's really an esthetic issue rather than a practical one IMO. Nobody wants powerful NPCs to upstage their PC heroes; but I don't see why having such a character in your world has to do that, any more than Superman upstages all the other DC heroes in their own comics series. It's a big world, and universe, for one hero to be everywhere. Even Superman. ;)

For my beloved Pulp Supers game, I once sent the party sneaking over the Russian border after a mysterious meteor - and the Russians had already sent an agent after the same goal. This was how they encountered the previously-only-rumored White Russian.

The White Russian was gestating in his mother's womb when the Tunguska event occurred. (In this world, a byproduct of Tesla's "beamed energy" experiments.) His genetic makeup was irretrievably altered - and in an era where most genetic abnormalities led to, at best, a Captain-America type power level, the White Russian was truly a superman.

His altered DNA rendered him almost completely white - his name either an ironic joke on the part of his Soviet commanders, or a blatant jab at the peaceniks in their organization. He had the capability to fly; he was very strong, and almost invulnerable. His senses were keen, but not to the degree of Superman's. His powers used energy from a constant internal reaction that he could control only to a limited degree - if he overused his powers, or failed to use them at all, the waste heat generated from within would begin to cause him pain. Still, he was able to maintain an "overdrive" mode for a limited time, more if he found himself in a cold environment.

The waste heat issue caused him to be slightly more vulnerable to heat-based damage, in the form of fatigue. If rendered unconscious, he'd soon wake up - thanks to a regenerative capacity, and the ever-increasing pain from the fires within. He no longer needed to eat, or sleep, and did not age.

It was during the excesses of Stalin's regime that the Russian became dissatisfied with his country's leadership - though still a firm believer in Communism, he began to become disobedient - guided more by his love of the people and his own sense of honor than the orders of his superiors. He was branded an outlaw at last, and though hunted by the Russian military, he continued to protect the people of Russia until hunted down, in the early 1980's, by the fire-wielding armored troopers of the growing World Government. The conflagration was enormous, and after an epic battle that lasted for an hour, there was an explosion that levelled the trees for a mile around, and the White Russian was nowhere to be found.

For those of you with City of Heroes, I play this fellow as White-Russian on Virtue.

Well, as you've seen on this thread, not everyone does. :) My feeling, though, is that Superman is for many people the very embodiment of the concept of "superhero": the first, the one who set the example for a whole genre of fiction; the standard of might against which all others are compared; the embodiment of the ideals that most people think of when they think of superheroes. From remarks I hear from comics readers and supers gamers, I suspect that many folks feel that a comic-book world isn't really complete without such a character in it.

It's really an esthetic issue rather than a practical one IMO. Nobody wants powerful NPCs to upstage their PC heroes; but I don't see why having such a character in your world has to do that, any more than Superman upstages all the other DC heroes in their own comics series. It's a big world, and universe, for one hero to be everywhere. Even Superman. ;)

Superman is to superhero comics as LotR is to fantasy fiction. Now ask why 90% of fantasy game settings have elves and dwarves. And I agree with the rest of your post, too.