CHAR: Captain America

Enforcer84

Vigil's request will be answered, tomorrow night or wednesday. But in the space saver post I want to say: Steve Long, your "Questionite Shield" Write up in Gadgets and Gear saved me A whole lot of time and effort. A tip of the "Cap" to you my friend.

Having said that, any die hard Captain America fans who have seen him use (on a quasi-regular basis) abilities not listed in G&G's shield let me know. I'll see what I can do.

Another question. And I expect Hermit to chime in here eventually, what do you think is an adequate PRE score and what would be the optimal skill sets for Captain America?

I thank you for your time and hope you all aprove.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAR: Captain America

As I am looking at this, Captain America, though I'd hesitate to call him or his adventures dark, necessarily, seems to have a lot more Tragedy in his "Cap - Family" characters than Bruce Wayne does. He's lost Buckey, Nomad, and Sharon (or has he?), The "Caps" that followed all died trying to fulfill his legacy; the recent story about the man who wore the costume and it cost him his mind (to the point that he's got the mind of a child), and though his parents were not taken from him by criminals, he lost them just the same as the world went by as he sat entombed in ice. I dunno.

But Anyon know anything about the "Truth"? A black man with a Captain America style scale shirt, a silver badge shield and a red mask? The poster they have of him looks cool as all get out.

Yeah, that was part of a really painful retcon where Cap was not the first supersoldier, the government secretly experimented on African American soldiers beforehand, killing and messing up a lot of them. One of them happened to have the serum actually take, or something, and it similarly manifested in his son. Somethingish like that. I'm sketchy on the full details.

I didn't the comic ("Truth: Red, White & Black") but essentially the super-soldier serum was tested on black men before they decided to offer to whites. One of those was the man who could have (should have?) been Captain America.

It should be noted that the son of this forgotten black Captain America is the Cap knockoff in the "Young Avengers".

That's all I gots.

I didn't the comic ("Truth: Red, White & Black") but essentially the super-soldier serum was tested on black men before they decided to offer to whites. One of those was the man who could have (should have?) been Captain America.

It should be noted that the son of this forgotten black Captain America is the Cap knockoff in the "Young Avengers".

That's all I gots.

Now there is also a more current user of the title and costume? I remember seeing him working with ...Iron Fist? ...PErhaps not. Thanks for the info!

Here, though the accuracy isn't quite top notch

Isaiah Bradley, the original test subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Bradley

Josiah X, his kid:

http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Justice_%28Josiah_X%29

Patriot, his (Josiah's) nephew:

http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Patriot_%28Elijah_Bradley%29

Josiah is the one who worked with War Machine, who is sort of Iron Man. Ish.

The Young Avengers version of Cap is a young man by the name of Elijah Bradley. He's the grandson of Isaiah Bradley, who was the black Captain America. Elijah does not have any inherent super powers. He previously relied on MGH to boost his physical abilites.

Regarding Cap's Presence: I think Frank Miller said it best when he wrote this:

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/198/4480/640/daredevil233b.jpg

Also, Cap has a utility belt now. The only thing's I've seen him pull out of there are some explosives, but with Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D as contacts, you may just want to make it a very small gadget pool.

Another question. And I expect Hermit to chime in here eventually, what do you think is an adequate PRE score and what would be the optimal skill sets for Captain America?

I dunno about a full skill list, but I'd say PRE would depend on where you're setting other folks at.

(looks at some of Enforcer84's DC writeups)

Hmm. I was going to say 30 PRE plus a few levels with Oratory and Persuasion, but given some of the PRE scores of the DC folks, I'd say 40-45 for Cap.

Also, Cap has a utility belt now. The only thing's I've seen him pull out of there are some explosives, but with Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D as contacts, you may just want to make it a very small gadget pool.

I have also seen him pull out lockpicks and a demokit from his gloves in his book in the late 80s/ early 90s. So yeah a small VPP is in order.

Hawksmoor

Regarding Cap's Presence: I think Frank Miller said it best when he wrote this:

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/198/4480/640/daredevil233b.jpg

Link doesn't work for me, but I assume it's the "voice that could command a god" sequence..? I kinda liked Miller's angsty Cap.

Cap with a utility belt? Weird.

Here, though the accuracy isn't quite top notch

Isaiah Bradley, the original test subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Bradley

Josiah X, his kid:

http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Justice_%28Josiah_X%29

Patriot, his (Josiah's) nephew:

http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Patriot_%28Elijah_Bradley%29

Josiah is the one who worked with War Machine, who is sort of Iron Man. Ish.

That's it! Thanks was Black Panther with them too?

Vigil's request will be answered, tomorrow night or wednesday. But in the space saver post I want to say: Steve Long, your "Questionite Shield" Write up in Gadgets and Gear saved me A whole lot of time and effort. A tip of the "Cap" to you my friend.

Having said that, any die hard Captain America fans who have seen him use (on a quasi-regular basis) abilities not listed in G&G's shield let me know. I'll see what I can do.

It comes when he whistles.

When he has enough space to throw it, he can seemingly toss it away, then have it hit his target from an odd angle after a short interval- say, three or four panels. This seems like an Indirect and Time Delay.

I've been reluctant to join in, because what I want to do is take the parody comments about Chuck Norris and apply them to Cap ;)

EDIT:

And to answer your question, 30 PRE at minimum would be my suggestion. This with high Oratory, and a reputation perk from hell...particularly with our armed forces or other 'guys on the line' figures (Cops, soldiers, etc almost become free followers in Cap's presence whether they are supposed to be working for him or not).

It would not be unrealistic to give him all three versions of Analyze mentioned in Fred (combat, Style, and Agility), Tactics out the wazzoo... Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing, Stealth, Shadowing,....KSes in areas such as History (he was there for WW2, and has researched what he missed), various styles of martial arts, Art (he's an artist), Supervillains, Superheroes, and yes, Motorcycles. PS: Artist and Mechanics both are appropriate, the man knows his "hawgs" and can draw a comic.

Heck, depending on who's writing him you could almost just lift the skill list... it's actually probably easier to just say what he DOESN'T have. Okay, I exagerate, but not by much.

I would seriously suggest taking a peek at the non power powers mentioned in other genre books like Pulp Hero or Dark Champions. Damage Reduction (Stun only) based on EGO rolls ... that sort of thing would not be inappropriate.

We have a first version!

Captain America

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

30 STR 20

30 DEX 60

30 CON 40

30 BODY 40

18 INT 8

20 EGO 20

40 PRE 30

20 COM 5

18/26 PD 12

18/26 ED 12

7 SPD 30

15 REC 6

60 END 0

60 STUN 0

12" RUN 12

4" SWIM 2

8" LEAP 2

Characteristics Cost: 299

Cost Power

100 The Shield: Multipower, 200-point reserve, (200 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

1u 1) Cover Your Eyes!: Sight Group Flash Defense (20 points), Hardened (+1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4)

7u 2) Protection I: Force Wall (20 PD/20 ED), Requires An Use Shield Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0), Hardened (x2; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (200 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4), Cannot Englobe (-1/4)

5u 3) Protection II: Armor (20 PD/20 ED), Requires An Use Shield Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0), Hardened (x2; +1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; self and one other person; +1/2) (120 Active Points); OAF (-1), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Second Person Must Stand In Same Hex As Shield-Holder To Gain Its Protection (-1/4)

1u 4) Protection III: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 5) Shield Edge: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 6) Shield-Bash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

1u 7) Thrown Shield I: Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Lockout (cannot use Multipower until recovers shield; -1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)

2u 8) Thrown Shield II: Energy Blast 10d6, Area Of Effect (20" Line; +1) (100 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Lockout (cannot use Multipower until recovers shield; -1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)

2u 9) Thrown Shield III: Energy Blast 10d6, Area Of Effect (5" Any Area; +1) (100 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Lockout (cannot use Multipower until recovers shield; -1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Requires An Use Shield Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)

1u 10) Thrown Shield IV: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+1/4) (19 Active Points); OAF (-1)

Avengers Communicator , all slots OAF (-1)

12 1) Broadcast Tracking: Detect Source Of Radio Transmissions A Large Class Of Things 13- (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1)

5 2) Communications: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OAF (-1), Sense Affected As Sight and Hearing Groups As Well As Radio Group (-1/2)

Combat Genius

40 1) Combat Genius: Find Weakness 13- with All Attacks

22 2) Skilled Tosser: Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2) for up to 100 Active Points of "Thrown Shield" Powers (50 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable ('The Shield'; -1), Requires A Use Shield Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)

Leadership Powers

11 1) Heroic Inspiration: Aid PRE 1d6, Area Of Effect (1" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Incantations (voice range; -1/4)

41 2) Tactical Genius: +4 with All Combat, Usable By Other (+1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; Voice Radius; +1) (72 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Requires A Tactics Roll And A Teamwork Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/4), Incantations (Voice Range; -1/4)

Physical Marvel

7 1) Efficient Musculature: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (7 Active Points) applied to STR

10 2) Iron Willed: Mental Defense (14 points total)

10 3) Physical Marvel: Lack Of Weakness (-10) for Resistant Defenses

12 4) Physical Marvel: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: 200 Years)

Standard Equipment

20 1) MircroChainmail Mesh Armor: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 312

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Acrobatic Style with Boxing & Judo Elements

16 1) +4 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 2) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 3) Choke : 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 4d6 NND

4 4) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -2 DCV, Disarm, 60 STR to Disarm roll

4 5) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 6) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 65 STR vs. Grabs

3 7) Flying Tackle: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, 10d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove

3 8) Grappling Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 12d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

3 9) Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 60 STR for holding on

3 10) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 11d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 11) Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 NND

3 12) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 +v/5, Target Falls

5 13) Various Kicks: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 14d6 Strike

4 14) Various Strikes: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 12d6 Strike

1 15) Weapon Element: Shields, Unarmed Combat

Martial Arts Cost: 65

Cost Skill

40 +5 with All Combat

10 Penalty Skill Levels: +5 vs. Throwing modifiers with Shield

15 +5 with Shield

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Analyze: Agility Skills 13-

3 Analyze: Combat 13-

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Bureaucratics 17-

3 Climbing 15-

3 Combat Driving 15-

3 Combat Piloting 15-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Fast Draw 15-

3 High Society 17-

3 Interrogation 17-

3 KS: Small Unit Tactics 13-

3 KS: The Avengers 13-

3 KS: The Martial World 13-

3 KS: The Miltiary/Mercenary/Terrorist World 13-

3 KS: The Superhuman World 13-

3 KS: World War II era Superhumans & Costumed Agents 13-

3 Navigation (Air, Land) 13-

3 Oratory 17-

3 PS: Illustrator 12-

3 Parachuting 15-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Persuasion 17-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

13 Shield Use Skill 20-

3 Stealth 15-

4 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Urban) 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

4 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

2 TF: Quinjet

7 Tactics 15-

3 Teamwork 15-

2 WF: Small Arms

Skills Cost: 191

Cost Perk

5 Fringe Benefit: Membership: The Avengers (Active Membership)

5 Vehicles & Bases: Quinjets, Avengers Mansion, other offices - Individual Contribution

5 Access: Avengers Mansion

8 Computer Link: AVENGERS Database

1 Money: Well Off

40 Vehicle: Souped up Motorcycle

40 Vehicle: Custom armored Van

2 Reputation: Member of the Avengers (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

15 Reputation: Hero most associated with America (A large group) 14-, +5/+5d6

3 Well-Connected

7 1) Contact: Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) (8 Active Points) 12-

3 2) Contact: Fantastic Four (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 8-

5 3) Contact: The Old Guard (Heroes who were active during the 40's) (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (6 Active Points) 11-

14 4) Contact: The White House (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 11-

11 5) Contact: US Military (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 11-

Perks Cost: 164

Cost Talent

17 Combat Sense 15-

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

8 Lightning Reflexes: +5 DEX to act first with All Actions

Talents Cost: 31

Total Character Cost: 1062

Pts. Disadvantage

5 Distinctive Features: Perfect Human Specemin: Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

15 Hunted: Anti-American Supervillains/Organizations 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Avengers Liason 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Hunted: Cpatain America's Rogues Gallery 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Foes of the Avengers 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Avenger for Life (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Dedicated American Patriot (Very Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: True Hero (Common, Total)

15 Reputation: American Sponsored Stooge Hero, 11- (Extreme)

10 Social Limitation: Must honor Avengers Bylaws & Charter or face expulsion (Occasionally, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 160

Base Points: 500

Experience Required: 402

Total Experience Available: 402

Experience Unspent: 0

Like I said, I'd like to know if he's displayed any language or nice AK's

I am not 100% sure, but I think Cap learned the basics (1pt) of most of the languages of the Axis and allied powers if not more... though I'm not sure about Italian. He had a romantic interest in the French underground, and he and bucky infiltrated deep into Nazi HQs once posing as german soldiers.

As for AK

Europe... but make it an 8 or less to reflect him going "Wait... I've been in this field before... but so much has changed." Que flashback to black and white memory ;)

Same for East Asia perhaps.

Is the National COmmittee on Superhuman Affairs still on his butt? I thoght about making them a watched but decided against it as I think that ship has sailed. Anyone in the gubment want to put puppet strings on Cap these days?

Well, Nick Fury is playing games with Spider-Woman, and dragged Cap into it, but as Nick is... shall we say on the outs even in some SHIELD circles... I wouldn't say it is the same.

There are times the goverment tries to treat Cap like a mushroom... that is, they try to keep him in the dark, and feed him manure... but it rarely lasts long.