CHAR: Captain America

Enforcer84

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAR: Captain America

And yet when the Maestro punches the shield when it's being held by someone other than Cap (an elderly future Rick Jones, to be precise), they *DO* go flying, across the room, to die when they land, impaled on something sharp.

The Knockback Resistance appears to come from Cap's own skill, in knowing how to brace himself against impact. (I'm also remembering a scene from some comic over 10 years ago whose name I can't recall, where a sudden explosion knocks everybody except Cap and Spider-Man sprawling. Spidey goes 'Um, Cap, I stick to things... but how did *you* not fall down?' Cap goes 'It's all a matter of balance and knowing how to react.')

Given that Hero System allows superhero martial artists to buy truly bodacious amounts of Knockback Resistance defined as super-skill, Tai Chi stance, the Root maneuver, etc, etc. this is easy to stat up for Cap.

And yet when the Maestro punches the shield when it's being held by someone other than Cap (an elderly future Rick Jones' date=' to be precise), they *DO* go flying, across the room, to die when they land, impaled on something sharp.[/quote']

That would either be a different shield, a continuity error or a more recent retcon of the shield's properties. Back in the day Cap took a full-out punch from Gladiator without budging, just a few minutes after Glads lifted the entire Baxter Building. It was axiomatic that the shield stopped all force from transferring to the holder. (How that reconciles with Cap bouncing it around like a Superball is a question best left for another day. ;))

That would either be a different shield' date=' a continuity error or a more recent retcon of the shield's properties. Back in the day Cap took a full-out punch from Gladiator without budging, just a few minutes after Glads lifted the entire Baxter Building. It was axiomatic that the shield stopped all force from transferring to the holder. (How that reconciles with Cap bouncing it around like a Superball is a question best left for another day. ;))[/quote']

I also recall a scene in some comic where Cap ends up stuck on a very tall location... and he has to get down "quickly"... so he leaps off the darn thing while standing on his shield. He goes down like four stories, the shield takes the impact, and he's fine and dandy :)

In one description of Cap's shield online, I remember a theory on how the center of the shield has the best kinetic dampening properties due to the shape and structure, thus explaining why sometimes he was knocked back a bit. It sounded like someone was gunning for a no-prize, but it was well done. Wish I could remember it better.

In one description of Cap's shield online' date=' I remember a theory on how the center of the shield has the best kinetic dampening properties due to the shape and structure, thus explaining why sometimes he was knocked back a bit. It sounded like someone was gunning for a no-prize, but it was well done. Wish I could remember it better.[/quote']

Sounds like as good a way as any to reconcile the discrepancy.

Since a vault door is 16 Def and I don't believe that Cap could damage the door itself even with a Pushed Offensive Strike with the shield, my scale would be as follows:

14d6 Cap with shield.

12d6 Cap with punch or kick.

11d6 Batman with punch or kick.

And scale all other martial artists from there.

• 6 months later...

I have another spot.

I remember an old John Byrne's 80's drawned comic of Cap where he travel to england and fight an old enemy vampire. I can remember it because it is one of my favourite ones. After an hand to hand battle he ripped of the head of the vampire with the shield.:eek:

By this way I think it's difficult with 1d6 HKA (2d6 with STR) to kill a Champions character...

• 4 months later...

A couple of observations regarding Cap's shield and game mechanics.

In an old issue of Captain America, he did get knocked back when he deflected a manhole cover that Armadillo threw at him. Othertimes, he has taken mightier blows without moving.

As far as game mechanics go, this is easy to explain. Some times the shield is just providing straight up PD/ED. Damage is reduced per the appropriate defense, but knockback can still happen. Other times Cap is performing the block maneuver which prevents all damage and knockback.

Just my $.02

I realize it is a different continuity.... :confused: but didn't Cap get knocked 40 to 50 meters after the Hulk punched his shield in the first Ultimate Avengers movie?

Regarding the various damage levels for Cap with shield, Cap w/o shield, and the Bat.... I would like to express my fervant belief that the quality of modern comics would be greatly improved if they would somehow stat out the different characters, so that the writers would be more consistent with the various capabilities. One of the reasons I no longer read comics is that I could only handle so much of The Absorbing Man giving Thor a run for his money, but Spider-Man knocking him out with one blow, then Spider-Man having trouble knocking out the King-Pin :idjit: ......

On the presence:

I would lower it to 30 then +10 for costume, and another +10 for the shield

Don't beleive me...Guardians of the Galaxy: Earth is united how? By Vance Astro (yes Justice of an alternate timeline) finding the shield.

This also gives Cap a Pre of 50 when he is in full regal...the cloths do make the man...

Good Point! The Adamantium/Vibranium alloy does absorb alot of KB...Dang...

No adamantium in the shield

Adamantium was made as an attempt to reproduce the Steel/Vibranium mix that is unique to caps shield...My comic Fu is STRONG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium_%28comics%29

and the reason for the mistake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America%27s_Shield#The_indestructible_shield

So sure, there's debate over how hard Cap should be able to hit, but let's not forget that he's got Find Weakness 13- with all attacks and 2 Overall levels to go with it. Granted the more dangerous foes will have some Lack of Weakness, but 15- is pretty damn good odds.

On the presence:

I would lower it to 30 then +10 for costume, and another +10 for the shield

Don't beleive me...Guardians of the Galaxy: Earth is united how? By Vance Astro (yes Justice of an alternate timeline) finding the shield.

This also gives Cap a Pre of 50 when he is in full regal...the cloths do make the man...

interesting Idea.

I realize it is a different continuity.... :confused: but didn't Cap get knocked 40 to 50 meters after the Hulk punched his shield in the first Ultimate Avengers movie?

Regarding the various damage levels for Cap with shield, Cap w/o shield, and the Bat.... I would like to express my fervant belief that the quality of modern comics would be greatly improved if they would somehow stat out the different characters, so that the writers would be more consistent with the various capabilities. One of the reasons I no longer read comics is that I could only handle so much of The Absorbing Man giving Thor a run for his money, but Spider-Man knocking him out with one blow, then Spider-Man having trouble knocking out the King-Pin :idjit: ......

agreed. But some of that's going to happen for Storytelling effect...

Captain America has always been one of my favourite Marvel Comics Characters. Continuity has always been an issue with Marvel Comics and I do not expect it to get any better.

Captain America (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America

Ultimate Marvel Universe (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Marvel_Universe

Secret War (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_War_%28comics%29

Civil War (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_%28comics%29

Illuminati (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_%28Marvel_Comics%29

"Surrender?! Do you think this A on my head stands for FRANCE?!" - Fighting against evil alien Nazis in Ultimates Vol.1

QM

P.S.: Wikiquote: Captain America

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Captain_America

• 2 years later...