Pulparize It!

Blue

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Pulparize It!

So we've got "Tortugas de lucha del mutante adolescente"

The brothers Tortugas were beloved tecnicos in their home village and the four of them were one of the first to be recruited into the Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre by the mysterious Salvador Desfibradora. Their father, Astilla Tortugas, had been a professional boxer and they often incorporated various boxing maneuvers into their style which had made them popular locally but on the national stage they were poorly recieved and quickly became a liability to the newly formed CMLL.

Desfibradora decided that the brothers needed to become rudos and sent them for 'special training'. The brothers were dejected but were ready to accept their fate and agreed to the special 'training' he wanted them to recieve for their transformation. They were sent to a secret facility where they were immediately subdued and experimented on in an attempt by Desfibradora to discover a way to make more powerful Luchadores.

After weeks of experiments they managed to escape, now horribly disfigured and beginning to resemble the Tortugas their famly was named for. They returned to their father who now hides with them in the sewers below Mexico city where they attempt to fight the mechanations of the evil Desfibradora while hiding from the world they are trying to protect.

so we've got "tortugas de lucha del mutante adolescente"

the brothers tortugas were beloved tecnicos in their home village and the four of them were one of the first to be recruited into the consejo mundial de lucha libre by the mysterious salvador desfibradora. Their father, astilla tortugas, had been a professional boxer and they often incorporated various boxing maneuvers into their style which had made them popular locally but on the national stage they were poorly recieved and quickly became a liability to the newly formed cmll.

Desfibradora decided that the brothers needed to become rudos and sent them for 'special training'. The brothers were dejected but were ready to accept their fate and agreed to the special 'training' he wanted them to recieve for their transformation. They were sent to a secret facility where they were immediately subdued and experimented on in an attempt by desfibradora to discover a way to make more powerful luchadores.

After weeks of experiments they managed to escape, now horribly disfigured and beginning to resemble the tortugas their famly was named for. They returned to their father who now hides with them in the sewers below mexico city where they attempt to fight the mechanations of the evil desfibradora while hiding from the world they are trying to protect.

ole!

So we've got "Tortugas de lucha del mutante adolescente"

The brothers Tortugas were beloved tecnicos in their home village and the four of them were one of the first to be recruited into the Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre by the mysterious Salvador Desfibradora. Their father, Astilla Tortugas, had been a professional boxer and they often incorporated various boxing maneuvers into their style which had made them popular locally but on the national stage they were poorly recieved and quickly became a liability to the newly formed CMLL.

Desfibradora decided that the brothers needed to become rudos and sent them for 'special training'. The brothers were dejected but were ready to accept their fate and agreed to the special 'training' he wanted them to recieve for their transformation. They were sent to a secret facility where they were immediately subdued and experimented on in an attempt by Desfibradora to discover a way to make more powerful Luchadores.

After weeks of experiments they managed to escape, now horribly disfigured and beginning to resemble the Tortugas their famly was named for. They returned to their father who now hides with them in the sewers below Mexico city where they attempt to fight the mechanations of the evil Desfibradora while hiding from the world they are trying to protect.

Repped?

Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

Frank DeSpair ("it's pronounced 'day-spear', got it?") had always been overly sensitive and prone to pessimism, but it came to a head when he lost everything in the stock market on Black Friday. Deciding to cash in his chips, Frank went to his favorite park and raised a pistol to his head. He was just about to pull the trigger when out of nowhere a girl tackled Frank to the ground.

The girl, Polly Kafka, turned out to be insanely optimistic--or possibly just insane. She reasoned that since no one could really have meant to kill themselves on such a sunny day, the reason Frank had a gun was...he was a private eye on a case! Polly immediately elected herself Mr. DeSpair's "spunky girl assistant" and attempted to help him "solve the case."

By sheer coincidence, some kidnappers were also in the park, and in the course of Frank trying to explain to Polly that the world is a dark and cold place that he would be well rid of, and her insistence that prosperity was just around the corner, they accidentally captured the criminals and freed their hostage. Before Frank really understood what was going on, he had an office with his name on the door and clients flocking in for his services. His protests that he wasn't actually a detective and didn't have a license were ignored.

Each case that comes in further convinces Frank that the world is a horrible place that's rapidly going to hell in a handbasket, while Polly puts a bright shiny (and completely wrong) spin on events. Oddly, Polly's wacky theories, while never right about the case at hand, sometimes turn out to be true about subplot events. And for some reason, the men in white coats haven't come for her yet.

For further fun, Polly has a wide assortment of equally screwball contacts that she calls in to help on cases. They pretty much never do actually help, but give Frank a chance to monologue about whatever bugs him about modern society.

Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei

Frank DeSpair ("it's pronounced 'day-spear', got it?") had always been overly sensitive and prone to pessimism, but it came to a head when he lost everything in the stock market on Black Friday. Deciding to cash in his chips, Frank went to his favorite park and raised a pistol to his head. He was just about to pull the trigger when out of nowhere a girl tackled Frank to the ground.

The girl, Polly Kafka, turned out to be insanely optimistic--or possibly just insane. She reasoned that since no one could really have meant to kill themselves on such a sunny day, the reason Frank had a gun was...he was a private eye on a case! Polly immediately elected herself Mr. DeSpair's "spunky girl assistant" and attempted to help him "solve the case."

By sheer coincidence, some kidnappers were also in the park, and in the course of Frank trying to explain to Polly that the world is a dark and cold place that he would be well rid of, and her insistence that prosperity was just around the corner, they accidentally captured the criminals and freed their hostage. Before Frank really understood what was going on, he had an office with his name on the door and clients flocking in for his services. His protests that he wasn't actually a detective and didn't have a license were ignored.

Each case that comes in further convinces Frank that the world is a horrible place that's rapidly going to hell in a handbasket, while Polly puts a bright shiny (and completely wrong) spin on events. Oddly, Polly's wacky theories, while never right about the case at hand, sometimes turn out to be true about subplot events. And for some reason, the men in white coats haven't come for her yet.

For further fun, Polly has a wide assortment of equally screwball contacts that she calls in to help on cases. They pretty much never do actually help, but give Frank a chance to monologue about whatever bugs him about modern society.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the source, but the pulp rendition by itself is most rep-worthy. :)

Reminds me of a movie I watched many many moons ago (and therefore have no memory of its title) about a female psychiatrist trying to treat a man who's convinced he's Sherlock Holmes. The problem is that he is actually damn good at deducing things, even if his theories about the root causes are loony, and he has this uncanny ability to draw other people into his fantasy. By the end of the movie, he finally convinces the psychiatrist that his particular brand of madness is preferable to the insanity of real life, and she gladly joins him and his army of followers off into the night to fight the forces of evil, led by the mysterious Moriarty. :)

I have absolutely no knowledge of the source, but the pulp rendition by itself is most rep-worthy. :)

Reminds me of a movie I watched many many moons ago (and therefore have no memory of its title) about a female psychiatrist trying to treat a man who's convinced he's Sherlock Holmes. The problem is that he is actually damn good at deducing things, even if his theories about the root causes are loony, and he has this uncanny ability to draw other people into his fantasy. By the end of the movie, he finally convinces the psychiatrist that his particular brand of madness is preferable to the insanity of real life, and she gladly joins him and his army of followers off into the night to fight the forces of evil, led by the mysterious Moriarty. :)

I believe that's "They Might be Giants" starring George C Scott

I believe that's "They Might be Giants" starring George C Scott

You know, you may be right.

We have a winner! You get a Rep point for settling that for me. I enjoyed the movie very much, and now I can point to it by name.

Thanks! :)

Edit: "You must spread some Rep..."

Ok, you'd get a Rep point if the darn forum would let me. I owe you.

Yeah, that George C. Scott movie was great.

Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei (Goodbye, Mr. Despair) is a black comedy anime (and manga I think) about a teacher with an unfortunate name and the wacky homeroom class he (in theory) teaches. Our protagonist is, well, you know how a pessimist thinks the glass is half empty? Mr. Despair thinks the glass is half-empty, someone peed in his beer, he just cut his lip on the sharp rim, ohmigodI'mgoingtogetaninfectionanddie!

Fuura Kafuka is his most enthusiatic student, and is as described above in the pulparized version. Then there's the agoraphobe, the stalker, the anal-retentive girl, the one who talks only via text messaging, the illegal immigrant, the crazy half-foreign girl, the girl who loves animals in a wrong and sick way (but not the one you'd think), etc.

It's great fun in a sick and twisted way.

• 2 weeks later...

Brisco County' date=' Jr[/i']. is already pulp.
I certainly would have thought so. Particularly if you consider the "Pulp" era to have begun with the "dime novels" and "penny dreadfulls" of the Victorian Era. Most of the ingredients were there; exciting, pacy stories, larger than life characters, villains bent on world domination often employing outrageous scientific gadgets to achieve their goals. Have a look at the descriptions of many of the stories in Jess Nevins "The Encyclopaedia Of Fantastic Victoriana"; many of them sounds like pure pulp !

"Brisco County Jnr" looks, to me, like a movie serial from the 30's or 40's, most particularly ones like "Invisible Empire" !

i hope i'm not repeating anybody but cany anybody pulparize briscoe county jr?

my take while examining the alien orb from the series brisco is time warped to the pulp era

Your take on Briscoe County Jnr would seem to work fine if you want to transfer the action to the 20's or 30's. You might also think about doing a " next generation" type adventure with a descendent of Briscoe getting involved with something "left over" from the original adventure in the 30's.